Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

so why no disk brakes on touring bikes?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

so why no disk brakes on touring bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 09:29 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So.. can either of you explain why disc brakes aren't popular with the touring crowd?
Old 03-17-10, 09:41 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
So.. can either of you explain why disc brakes aren't popular with the touring crowd?
Bicycle tourists are, by and large, Luddites and curmudgeons. Give 'em another 15-20 years and they'll be all over disc brakes. Maybe 10-speed drivetrains, too
Old 03-17-10, 09:46 PM
jabberwocky

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I posted my thoughts earlier in the thread:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky
To answer the original question (why they aren't seen on more touring bikes), I'd guess that its a combination of tradition and the fact that most touring bikes evolved from road bikes (where lighter-weight wheels/bikes and a lack of interest in absolute braking performance make discs less attractive). Theres a lot of market inertia as well (if the LHT sells well with cantis, why bother updating it to run discs?). And theres a bit of retro-grouchery as well.
I'd also add that discs can interfere with racks and fenders (which has largely been solved by moving the caliper mount to the chainstay, but can still sometimes cause issues).
Old 03-17-10, 09:49 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Bicycle tourists are, by and large, Luddites and curmudgeons. Give 'em another 15-20 years and they'll be all over disc brakes. Maybe 10-speed drivetrains, too
Maybe we're in for a trend like this one... better not hold our breath

Old 03-17-10, 09:52 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I posted my thoughts earlier in the thread:
I'd also add that discs can interfere with racks and fenders (which has largely been solved by moving the caliper mount to the chainstay, but can still sometimes cause issues).
Ah, sorry.. yeah i think that is mostly ironed out in the rear. The front rack/fender can take some thinking to figure out though but is typically solvable..
Old 03-17-10, 10:07 PM
jabberwocky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whats sort of amusing is that you can go back ten years and find pretty much the exact same discussion regarding discs happening in the MTB realm. The same arguments, the same reasons discs were bad/pointless, etc. Even into the 2000s, there were some shops that actually refused to stock disc-equipped bikes because "they were just a fad". At some point, discs went from being a bit of a luxury item to the market norm, and eventually even lightweight race bikes (the last big holdout for rim brakes) transitioned to discs. Nowadays, go into a bike shop and you'll have trouble finding a MTB for sale with anything but discs, and rim brakes are basically limited to vintage bikes and retro-grouches.

Now, I don't know if that will happen in the touring realm. I will say that I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the more popular touring bikes coming equipped with at least disc tabs on the frame and fork, to give people the option.
Old 03-17-10, 10:09 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Sorry...I don't mean to derail things...but my understanding of aluminum and carbon fiber and fatigue is a bit different. It doesn't matter how much thicker the tubing is, EVENTUALLY aluminum and CF will both fatigue into uselessness. We learned about fatigue factors with aluminum from airplanes...after so many flights, they'd always tear apart. Making it thicker, stronger, etc (which adds weight to the point where it has no advantage over steel) just means it fatigues later...it still eventually fatigues. Maybe that time period with aluminum and CF is now so long as to be irrelevant, but crashes, every impact...etc...are all just a little less life it has left. Also...when steel fails, you usually see it bending before it goes. Aluminum is more likely to just fail without warning.

Steel either breaks with a stress or it doesn't. There's no combined wear issue. To me that means light weight CF isn't really a long term tubing material. For folks who change bikes every three seasons, it probably doesn't matter...but I tend to want mine to last.

I'm NOT an engineer and could definitely have this totally wrong.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 03-17-10 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 10:20 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Sorry...I don't mean to derail things...but my understanding of aluminum and carbon fiber and fatigue is a bit different. It doesn't matter how much thicker the tubing is, EVENTUALLY aluminum and CF will both fatigue into uselessness. We learned about fatigue factors with aluminum from airplanes...after so many flights, they'd always tear apart. Making it thicker, stronger, etc (which adds weight to the point where it has no advantage over steel) just means it fatigues later...it still eventually fatigues. Maybe that time period with aluminum and CF is now so long as to be irrelevant, but crashes, every impact...etc...are all just a little less life it has left. Also...when steel fails, you usually see it bending before it goes. Aluminum is more likely to just fail without warning.

Steel either breaks with a stress or it doesn't. There's no combined wear issue. To me that means light weight CF isn't really a long term tubing material. For folks who change bikes every three seasons, it probably doesn't matter...but I tend to want mine to last.

I'm NOT an engineer and could definitely have this totally wrong.
Basically CF has a higher yield strength, which makes it have a longer lifespan... if you inelastically deform steel by forcing it past the yield point then you are fatiguing it... CF is harder to push past the yield point.

Boeing is even using CF in it's new 787 planes for wings and fuselage.

https://www.calfeedesign.com/whitepaper4.htm I quickly came across this, which seems to support the notion.

Last edited by electrik; 03-17-10 at 10:30 PM. Reason: technical errors
Old 03-17-10, 10:27 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I'm not sure, but I think you might be confusing flex and fatigue. I am almost 100% positive that steel has virtually no fatigue and I know that CF has a fatigue factor...which is why the CF makers all say the fork and frame need to be replaced after a major crash. You can't always see the damage or wear. With steel, it either bends or it doesn't.
Old 03-17-10, 10:38 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think you might be confusing flex and fatigue. I am almost 100% positive that steel has virtually no fatigue and I know that CF has a fatigue factor...which is why the CF makers all say the fork and frame need to be replaced after a major crash. You can't always see the damage or wear. With steel, it either bends or it doesn't.
It is true that CF yields suddenly(same with Al) and steel has a more progressive yield... so i guess steel is more user friendly if heavy.
Old 03-17-10, 10:46 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I'm not trying to say that CF and Aluminum (well, CF anyway) don't have advantages...the weight advantage and feel of CF is fantastic. I think CF is GREAT for people with more cash than me who can change out their bike every 5 years or so. I also think steel still has a place in the bike world (at least until titanium becomes more affordable) and that many times a steel bike is the right bike.
Old 03-18-10, 07:24 AM
bobframe

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist, Giant TCR Advanced, Co-Motion Americano Co-Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"But rims are consumables for bicycles with rim brakes anyway."

I suspect this is correct. So, if braking characteristics were identical between all forms of rim brakes and disc brakes, this would seem to me to be the deciding factor in choosing between them.

No?
Old 03-18-10, 08:49 AM
jabberwocky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of the best articles on bike frame metallurgy is here:
https://www.63xc.com/scotn/metal.htm

Its somewhat old (from the 90s) but very in depth, and dispels many of the common myths around various frame materials.
Old 03-18-10, 09:02 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

One of the best articles on bike frame metallurgy is here:
https://www.63xc.com/scotn/metal.htm

Its somewhat old (from the 90s) but very in depth, and dispels many of the common myths around various frame materials.
Awesome article!
Old 03-18-10, 09:14 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I've got disc brakes on two steel frames, one dirt, one commuter, the best of both worlds.
Old 03-18-10, 09:20 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW, my first carbon fiber road bike lasted 15 years and was still going strong when I sold it last year. The current one is much better constructed; I expect it will last a lot longer than the first one... as long as it isn't involved in a major crash.
Old 03-18-10, 09:41 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by sstorkel
FWIW, my first carbon fiber road bike lasted 15 years and was still going strong when I sold it last year. The current one is much better constructed; I expect it will last a lot longer than the first one... as long as it isn't involved in a major crash.
I think it's really hard to properly judge CF and aluminum on endurance and shelf life since they really haven't been along that long (especially for CF). I'm sure a lot of how long the bike lasts depends on weight, how it was ridden...etc. It might be that the aluminum and CF bikes are so over engineered that the fatigue factor issue is a more a theoretical issue than a real one. I'd like to get a CF bike at some point, but I really like my ti and steel...I also think if I'm worried about weight I need to look at my belly and calorie count before frame materials.
Old 03-18-10, 08:09 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I don't think the Trek 520 has changed in years... except for the components... ..
Oh, just the components.... and a minor thing like the frame Haven't really looked have you?
Old 02-10-21, 02:40 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Wow read through a bunch of these comments . I guess it boils down to how fast your going down a hill and for how long . I'm in the midwest so I doubt there would be that problem.. my cantilever brakes on my vintage Schwinn Passage work fine, however I guess if I lived in a very hilly area ,,, disc brakes would probably be much safer because of the heating on the rims. Now I feel I need to get a disc brake touring bike for my fantasy fast downhill tour
Old 02-10-21, 03:19 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Brains, this thread neeeeeds Brains...... growlllllllllllllllllllllllllll arrrgh!
Old 02-10-21, 05:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Wow read through a bunch of these comments . I guess it boils down to how fast your going down a hill and for how long . I'm in the midwest so I doubt there would be that problem.. my cantilever brakes on my vintage Schwinn Passage work fine, however I guess if I lived in a very hilly area ,,, disc brakes would probably be much safer because of the heating on the rims. Now I feel I need to get a disc brake touring bike for my fantasy fast downhill tour
Pro tip: Before you start descending through the posts, pay attention to the date of the OP.

P.S. Plenty of touring bikes now have disc brakes. In fact, Surely now sells only a disc version of its popular LHT.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-10-21 at 08:24 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-10-21, 08:14 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
2022 thread title, "why are there no touring bikes sold with rim brakes?"

2025 thread title " why are there no touring bikes sold with triples?"

2035 thread title " why are there no touring bikes sold without the magnatronflux e-motor and integrated handlebar/ human interface ?"
Likes For djb:
Old 02-10-21, 09:50 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
If you have something to say, start a new thread rather than drag out an 11 year old thread to comment on.

That said, I still hold the same opinion towards disc that I did 11 years ago. They aren’t “superior” to rim brakes. They are the same as rim brakes. I have ridden in mountains on road bikes, mountain bikes, and loaded touring bikes for 40+ years. I’ve even ridden tandems in those same mountains. Not once have I ever overheated a rim even when riding down those same mountains at 50+mph. How well a brake performs has more to do with how they are used than what the actual mechanism is.

The way that you avoid heating the rims...or rotors, for that matter... is to use the brakes quickly and sparingly. Hit them hard, slow down, and get off them. That’s for any kind of brake. You don’t squeeze on the brakes at the top of a hill and keep them on to the bottom. That’s how you overheat brakes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-10-21, 11:07 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Some of us are slow to adopt, my 2017 build has disc on back and rim brake on front. Since this thread started in 2010, I was half way there seven years later in 2017, that suggests in 2024 I might get around to building up a bike with disc front AND rear.
Old 02-10-21, 11:24 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Pro tip: Before you start descending through the posts, pay attention to the date of the OP.

P.S. Plenty of touring bikes now have disc brakes. In fact, Surely now sells only a disc version of its popular LHT.
Please don't call them Surely.
Likes For tyrion:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.