Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

American Classic wheels, anyone?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-21, 12:41 PM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts

In another thread, I mentioned I (rather, my bike) was involved in a collision. I'm trying to figure out the equivalence of what I had vs today's offerings.

No, this isn't "vintage", even if it feels that way for some of the newer members to the sport.

But as the cyclecross world had gone largely to disc, I couldn't find any information on these wheels to start my search of "today's equivalence".

The rims are "CR 350". My recollection, it stands for 350 gram rims (at the time was their top of line rims). But there's no model number on the hub (apart from "American Classic) for me to figure out the weight of either the hubs or the build-up weight of the wheelset. (The hubs are actually AC's selling point, smooth as butter. I'm sad to lose it).

So it's basically a boutique wheel (hub & rim). But if I can get the weight of the wheelset, it'll help figure out what its equivalent would be.

Not trying to replace with like for like. Just establishing the value of "equivalent" replacement for insurance purpose.

(I will indeed go to disc as replacement, as that's the standard going forward. Don't mind paying a bit extra for the upgrade)

So anyone who is familiar with AC wheels, I'd appreciate you sharing any knowledge on them.
Old 07-29-21, 12:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3145 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 1,032 Posts
Man, AC wheels were awesome! I still have-- and absolutely *love*-- two sets of Argent and set of Victory 30.

Anyway, the 350g rim, in it's ultimate iteration, was built into their Sprint 350 wheel.

Here's a link to an archived page from their site:

Sprint 350 Tubeless (pair) - Wheels
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-29-21, 02:46 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I have a couple sets of their hurricane wheels, 32h, likely beefier than what you're running. They weigh in at 1580 for the pair. IIRC, their race wheels were in the 1450 range.
Old 07-29-21, 05:37 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Craptacular8
I have a couple sets of their hurricane wheels, 32h, likely beefier than what you're running. They weigh in at 1580 for the pair. IIRC, their race wheels were in the 1450 range.
My Argents were a claimed 1395g/pair.
Old 07-29-21, 09:48 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
And for the opposing opinion...I hate AC wheels. The old lightweight models used uselessly small bearings that didn't last long at all. The front bearings are smaller than skateboard wheel bearings. Useless. The rear hub was a little better, but still uses small bearings. The rims are light and pretty flexible. I am definitely not a fan.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-29-21, 10:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by cxwrench
And for the opposing opinion...I hate AC wheels. The old lightweight models used uselessly small bearings that didn't last long at all. The front bearings are smaller than skateboard wheel bearings. Useless. The rear hub was a little better, but still uses small bearings. The rims are light and pretty flexible. I am definitely not a fan.
That does not jive with my experience at all, and I’m a strong, aggressive +230lbs rider still rolling my first pair of Argents from ‘14. And I’ve only ever had to true one of my ACs, the Victoy 30, once. Maybe I’m just lucky, or perhaps you were just unlucky. I dunno, but since AC has shut their doors, the discussion is largely academic, even for those of us riding them.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-30-21, 09:43 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Man, AC wheels were awesome! I still have-- and absolutely *love*-- two sets of Argent and set of Victory 30.

Anyway, the 350g rim, in it's ultimate iteration, was built into their Sprint 350 wheel.

Here's a link to an archived page from their site:

Sprint 350 Tubeless (pair) - Wheels
+
I would use the specs for the Sprint 350 wheelset for any comparisons you need.

I never had a full set of wheels from them, but was very happy with the hubs I built into some crazy light wheels. Smooth and reliable.
Old 07-30-21, 10:28 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Loved my AC wheels, but they were MTB, so 26". The 800 gr (AIR) rear anchored my 2005 SC Superlight that weighed < 25 pounds with a SID and some judicious buying of supporting parts (portly now, but svelte then). Still using their hubs on a couple of bikes that long ago had rims replaced from excessive rim wear. Best bike component I've ever owned.
Old 07-30-21, 10:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by 2old
Loved my AC wheels, but they were MTB, so 26". The 800 gr (AIR) rear anchored my 2005 SC Superlight that weighed < 25 pounds with a SID and some judicious buying of supporting parts (portly now, but svelte then). Still using their hubs on a couple of bikes that long ago had rims replaced from excessive rim wear. Best bike component I've ever owned.
I’m right there with you, and I wish I’d been able to snag a couple extra sets of wheels before they went out. There was so much cool, intelligent tech buit into those wheels, like the industry leading wide bearing stance on the front hub Micro 100, and it only weighed 58g! The rear Race hub had wide, high-low flange spacing allowing for even NDS and DS spoke tension with 24 spoke 2:1 lacing. They made their own aero spokes from Sandvik steel, and extruded their own magnesium rims. They pioneered steel faced alu freehubs and wide road rims… I dunno what Bill Shook os doing these days, but IMO, that dude is a cycling industry treasure. I remember how cool it was getting an AC seatpost back in the early ‘90s, but I digress.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-30-21, 09:56 PM
atnyc

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
+
I would use the specs for the Sprint 350 wheelset for any comparisons you need.

I never had a full set of wheels from them, but was very happy with the hubs I built into some crazy light wheels. Smooth and reliable.
That does sound like the one I have.

Thanks all for the helpful reply.
Likes For atnyc: