Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding in the smoke....or not.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riding in the smoke....or not.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-21, 08:34 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
...Are you suggesting that these guidelines are too lax?
Yes... But not in a way you would normally think. At 2.5 µ your getting close to the size of your red blood cells. Again the problem is these particulates lodging in your tissues and not directly expired. That's one of the problems with Cedar Fever in the south. It's not really an allergy but the size of the Cedar pollen at 1.8 µ actually permeating your lungs and geting into your blood stream. We used to see GI's suffering with cedar fever and concentrations of cedar pollen showing in thier urine under the microscope as shinny little glass type particles.

So are the guidelines to lax? I can't really say. At least we have them. Thank Goodness...

I remember after the forest fires here in Bastrop Texas, weeks after the fires were under control there was still residual smoke in the air. You could ride along and then just stop cause there was heavy smoke in a gully or choking smoke blowing across the road. In general the concentration of the smoke was acceptable for the area but for an individual ridding a bike into a pocket of bad air it was a bugger.

I really do think we are doing better at monitoring our air. And individuals are getting smarter about the air they are breathing... This is reassuring.
Old 08-01-21, 07:32 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
A buddy sent this link to an AQI prediction site: Breezometer We were going to ride this morning (its a beautiful temp and the air currently is currently reasonable) but decided that it was a no go based on their predictions.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 08-01-21, 03:30 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
A buddy sent this link to an AQI prediction site: Breezometer We were going to ride this morning (its a beautiful temp and the air currently is currently reasonable) but decided that it was a no go based on their predictions.
Not all these sites are equally reliable, it seems.
You might have missed out.
Old 08-01-21, 04:12 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Not all these sites are equally reliable, it seems.
You might have missed out.
I got a 30 miler in. My buddy missed out.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 08-02-21, 07:38 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Did a club ride Thursday night. Even though it looked like sunset or about to rain at 6pm w a cloudless sky, i felt fine riding. We did dial it back a bit for conditions. Saturday morning ride fine too
Old 08-02-21, 08:54 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Where are you in WI? Unless you're in the far west, AQ will be much better in WI than MN.

Maybe I should drive east for a ride. Or up to the lake.
North Central part of the state. Was hazy here all day Saturday from the smoke. I went riding anyway. Didn't notice a difference.
Old 08-02-21, 09:01 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
I found that I did not notice much of an issue if AQI was under 150, using the LRAPA adjustment of PurpleAir's numbers. BUT I also have no history of lung problems for at least 20 years, never smoked, etc.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-02-21, 10:28 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
The AGM is still not in public production but in use... Cell phone that detects air quality.

https://nerdschalk.com/agm-x2-specs-...h-battery/amp/

Hate to think what it would do if I stuffed it in my shorts... Ha