Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biking and Chafing/Bleeding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 11:26 AM
billyO13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Hello all. Looking for opinions/advice from those of you with more time on the bike than me.
Due to occasional seizures, a little over a month ago, I made the transition to being a full time bike commuter because driving a 1-ton diesel in now a bad idea and unsafe for the public. In the past couple of weeks, I've noticed some bloody stools and some irritation/inflammation around my perineal area, which I'm pretty sure is due to irritation from riding 10-20 miles a few days a week running errands.
I'm wondering what I need to change, (1) my saddle position; (2) the saddle itself; or (3) my attire?
(1) - In the past week, I've started playing around with my seat position, which I'm pretty sure this is the main culprit as the nose seemed too high once I started paying attention to it.
How long should I give each new seat setting before trying to adjust again?
(2) - My saddle is just the basic saddle that came with the used Giant Farrago I bought.
Am I wasting time playing around with positioning and should I go right to a better saddle designed to prevent this problem?
(3) - I also work as a metalworker/blacksmith and most of my commuting lately has been in Carhartts. I also (not to get too personal here, but it is relevant for the current discussion) do not like wearing underwear/long johns/tights/biking shorts etc.
Should I start by biting the bullet and getting some biking shorts with padding in that area?

Thanks

(PS-I've been a medical practitioner treating patients for the past 25 years, so I don't need any advice to go see a doctor to make sure it's nothing more serious)
Old 12-17-19, 11:32 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I can see the connection to blood, swelling on private parts as it relates to saddles, but I don't see a connection to bloody stools (unless hemorrhoids)? Maybe I'm wrong.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 12-17-19, 11:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I can see the connection to blood, swelling on private parts as it relates to saddles, but I don't see a connection to bloody stools (unless hemorrhoids)? Maybe I'm wrong.
Yeah. I see blood on TP or a few drops in the bowl while dropping a deuce as one thing and blood mixed in with feces something totally different. I have had irritation possibly due to riding that has caused the former. Being on blood thinners since 1990, If I were to experience the latter it would be off the hospital for me.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-17-19, 11:46 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Just to define the situation a little better.

If you have blood entering your 'fecal stream' from up inside you, your bowel movement will be very dark, almost black.
If you are seeing red blood ON your stool, it is most likely that you are irritating your hemorrhoids.

I have experienced both hemorrhoid irritation, as well as prostrate irritation both as a result of poor saddle fit as well as from wearing cycling shorts. In my own case I found that buying a Brooks saddle (Imperial for me) and wearing loose shorts helped immensely with (most of) the situation. My biggest issue now is the lack of testicular retention that goes away when you aren't wearing cycling specific shorts. I am currently experimenting with various fits of briefs to help alleviate that issue.

My suggestion to you is to seek out a good cycling shop in the area that can assist you with saddle fit. Try the shorts with a good chamois as well, could help. Might also adjust your seating positioning and handlebar height, as you well could be riding with too much of your weight on your backside.

Good luck
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 12-17-19, 11:47 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by billyO13
(PS-I've been a medical practitioner treating patients for the past 25 years, so I don't need any advice to go see a doctor to make sure it's nothing more serious)
Really? Cuz that is exactly what I was going to suggest ... smh

Edit: Blacksmith? 'Medical Practitioner'?

Last edited by Leisesturm; 12-17-19 at 11:50 AM.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 12-17-19, 11:47 AM
billyO13

Originally Posted by jadocs
It's all connected. Hemorrhoids is a term used generally used to identify irritation/inflammation of the rectal area. It's just like getting a new pair of shoes, you can have sore toes for a few days until either (a) the shoe "breaks in" and fits your foot better, (b) you build up enough callouses on the area that's rubbing so that the rubbing doesn't progress to inflammation, or (c) you give up and get a different pair of shoes.
Old 12-17-19, 11:58 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
It's all connected. Hemorrhoids is a term used generally used to identify irritation/inflammation of the rectal area. It's just like getting a new pair of shoes, you can have sore toes for a few days until either (a) the shoe "breaks in" and fits your foot better, (b) you build up enough callouses on the area that's rubbing so that the rubbing doesn't progress to inflammation, or (c) you give up and get a different pair of shoes.
No, Hemorrhoids is not a term used generally. It is a specific condition of having varicose veins around the anal sphincter. A new pair of shoes (saddle) will not address the underlying cause nor can it make any difference. Blood from hemorrhoids would be seen on clothing not in stool. Blood in stool is a big deal regardless of the cause.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 12-17-19, 12:08 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
No, Hemorrhoids is not a term used generally. It is a specific condition of having varicose veins around the anal sphincter. A new pair of shoes (saddle) will not address the underlying cause nor can it make any difference. Blood from hemorrhoids would be seen on clothing not in stool. Blood in stool is a big deal regardless of the cause.
Well, maybe.

The saddle, or clothing choice could be causing the 'roids/irritation. Just having them doesn't specifically mean you will be bleeding from them. The action of going "stool" could then be causing the bleeding due to a variety of possibilities.
Old 12-17-19, 12:11 PM
jadocs

Should I start by biting the bullet and getting some biking shorts with padding in that area?
Yes, you are probably chaffing pretty bad down there if you are riding in Carhartts.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 12-17-19, 12:13 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I guess I'll tell you what you want to hear...
Start experimenting with saddle position and possibly some padded shorts. I'm sure that's it.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 12-17-19, 12:14 PM
billyO13

I was talking about the general public using the term loosely.
To be clear, I don't have hemorrhoids, have no history of hemorrhoids in either myself or my family. The blood is only noticed on the paper from wiping after a bowel movement. It is external bleeding (bright red) and not from higher up in the fecal tract which tends to be darker red.
Old 12-17-19, 12:15 PM
jadocs

That just sounds like an XL bowel movement. I have those from time to time LOL.
Old 12-17-19, 12:18 PM
billyO13

Really? Cuz that is exactly what I was going to suggest ... smh
Edit: Blacksmith? 'Medical Practitioner'?
Career change. Time to express my artistic side...(and tired of dealing with private insurance companies).

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I guess I'll tell you what you want to hear...
What I want to hear is the right answer, so thanks!
Likes For billyO13:
Old 12-17-19, 12:18 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Just as a side note to this discussion. If you are having seizures you might consider rethinking riding a DF bicycle. At the very least I hope you are wearing proper protective gear and a helmet. You seize out at speed and you very well could severely injure yourself or die.
Old 12-17-19, 12:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
A friend of mine who looks exactly like me and has the same name and birthdate got proctitis while riding, which was quite nasty and involved a lot of bright red bleeding when I, I mean he, had a BM. It was a really alarming symptom where the bowl was actually quite red from the bowl. (I'll spare everyone a more graphic description). Whether the ulceration was caused by bicycling or was just coincidence is not something I can answer. It was, however, cleared up quite quickly with the use of Canasa suppositories, which require a prescription.

I've, I mean he's had hemorrhoids as well, and this was nothing like that at all. Much as I hate to agree with Leisesturm , it doesn't really sound like you're all that expert in this area.

I have to admit, I'm confused--what kind of "medical practitioner" goes to an internet biking forum for medical advice? Obviously, you can't properly examine yourself, so yeah, go to a doctor for cryin' out loud.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-17-19, 12:23 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by livedarklions
A friend of mine who looks exactly like me and has the same name and birthdate got proctitis while riding, which was quite nasty and involved a lot of bright red bleeding when I, I mean he, had a BM. It was a really alarming symptom where the bowl was actually quite red from the bowl. (I'll spare everyone a more graphic description). Whether the ulceration was caused by bicycling or was just coincidence is not something I can answer. It was, however, cleared up quite quickly with the use of Canasa suppositories, which require a prescription.

I've, I mean he's had hemorrhoids as well, and this was nothing like that at all. Much as I hate to agree with Leisesturm , it doesn't really sound like you're all that expert in this area.

I have to admit, I'm confused--what kind of "medical practitioner" goes to an internet biking forum for medical advice? Obviously, you can't properly examine yourself, so yeah, go to a doctor for cryin' out loud.

My bet would be this fellow was experiencing symptoms concurrent with a couple of STD's.

Last edited by StanSeven; 12-17-19 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Removed political content
Old 12-17-19, 12:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
To be clear, I don't have hemorrhoids, have no history of hemorrhoids in either myself or my family. The blood is only noticed on the paper from wiping after a bowel movement. It is external bleeding (bright red) and not from higher up in the fecal tract which tends to be darker red.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20376933
Old 12-17-19, 12:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6970 Post(s)
Liked 10,967 Times in 4,692 Posts
OP: No offense to your medical skills, but if you are diagnosing yourself, you have an idiot for a patient. (I mean that in the most caring way possible. ) While it might merely be superficial irritation, bloody stool may be a symptom of something much worse such as colon cancer.

Work on your saddle issues, but also go see a physician.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-17-19, 12:32 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Could it be warts rupturing?
Old 12-17-19, 12:35 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
What I want to hear is the right answer, so thanks!
Ok, in all seriousness, get a mirror. If there are visible abrasions or lesions I would start with a pair of padded riding shorts. If there isn't, go see a doctor.
Old 12-17-19, 12:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,435 Times in 2,761 Posts
Another vote for STDs, probably caught from the saddle of the used bike. Really, who knows where it's been. My confidence in "medical practitioners" has taken a hit
Old 12-17-19, 12:47 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Could the underlying cause be swelling and irritation from around the rectum, rather than hemorrhoids? If so, applying some chamois cream to the affected area might be a good start. Or apply Bag Balm or diaper rash ointment after a shower or bath.
Old 12-17-19, 01:00 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I cleaned up a couple posts. You all know political content doesn’t belong here. When it starts, threads only go downhill.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 12-17-19, 01:07 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
He could have at least added,,,,,,,,, asking for a friend.......
Likes For Fastfingaz:
Old 12-17-19, 01:30 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Hello all. Looking for opinions/advice from those of you with more time on the bike than me.
Due to occasional seizures, a little over a month ago, I made the transition to being a full time bike commuter because driving a 1-ton diesel in now a bad idea and unsafe for the public. In the past couple of weeks, I've noticed some bloody stools and some irritation/inflammation around my perineal area, which I'm pretty sure is due to irritation from riding 10-20 miles a few days a week running errands.
I'm wondering what I need to change, (1) my saddle position; (2) the saddle itself; or (3) my attire?
(1) - In the past week, I've started playing around with my seat position, which I'm pretty sure this is the main culprit as the nose seemed too high once I started paying attention to it.
How long should I give each new seat setting before trying to adjust again?
(2) - My saddle is just the basic saddle that came with the used Giant Farrago I bought.
Am I wasting time playing around with positioning and should I go right to a better saddle designed to prevent this problem?
(3) - I also work as a metalworker/blacksmith and most of my commuting lately has been in Carhartts. I also (not to get too personal here, but it is relevant for the current discussion) do not like wearing underwear/long johns/tights/biking shorts etc.

Thanks

ok sir you didn't include your age now I say this only because we have a subforum that is designed by or for older cyclists let's say 65 and over there they also so discuss subjects such as what you ask, men who are experiencing ailments and also solutions and cures maybe there someone has experienced similar ailment and can give an opinion.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.