Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Matching Stem to Handlebars

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: Would you keep the stem and handlebars paired with the same make?
Yes
30.56%
No
69.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 10:16 AM
mruneedahelmet

Bikes: Ritchey Road Logic 2.0 (2017), Concorde Prestige (199?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I'm currently set up with a Cinelli 1A with Model 66 bars; they are from later production with the 26.0mm size. The bars don't really suit me so I'll be swapping them for some Nittos.

Should I swap the stem too to something Nitto, if only to simplify the installation? Would keeping the Cinelli as a combo make sense to sell on to a new owner? I understand 26.0 Cinelli bars are a bit of an oddity. I'm not exactly building something for Eroica so not that fussed about aesthetics.
Old 05-22-21, 10:19 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
If brand doesn't matter, it doesn't matter.

Only size matters.
Old 05-22-21, 10:49 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
My instinct would be to keep them together; if some future buyer needs to have your #66 bars, there's a fair likelihood (not a certainty, mind) that they're also going to want a Cinelli stem to go with it -- even if 26.0 has opened up a world of interchangeability after 26.4.
Likes For niliraga:
Old 05-22-21, 11:05 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I don't really care about matching brands. But, if you're planning on selling or reusing the bars, don't scratch them up and make a mess out of them.

Open Face stems have opened up a world of possibilities for bar shapes and forms. Aero bars?
Old 05-22-21, 11:32 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
I wouldn't bother getting a Nitto stem if the Cinelli works, but I would keep the Cinelli bars for a future owner. I think it would add to the value when/if you sell.

My Schwinn Circuit came with Cinelli 90mm stem and 64/40 bars - way too short, way too narrow. I got a 130mm Cinelli 1A stem and Soma Highway One bars, but I'm keeping the original bar and stem, as well as the original really short SR seatpost, all zip-tied together, so if I sell it in the future (Fat chance! I LOVE this bike!), they'll be part of the package. Everything else on the bike is the original spec, including the San Marco Rolls saddle.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-22-21, 11:59 AM
mruneedahelmet

Originally Posted by genejockey
I wouldn't bother getting a Nitto stem if the Cinelli works, but I would keep the Cinelli bars for a future owner. I think it would add to the value when/if you sell.

My Schwinn Circuit came with Cinelli 90mm stem and 64/40 bars - way too short, way too narrow. I got a 130mm Cinelli 1A stem and Soma Highway One bars, but I'm keeping the original bar and stem, as well as the original really short SR seatpost, all zip-tied together, so if I sell it in the future (Fat chance! I LOVE this bike!), they'll be part of the package. Everything else on the bike is the original spec, including the San Marco Rolls saddle.
I get your point about keeping original spec of a bike for resale; however this bike is a bit of an oddity and mystery. It's a mid 90's Concorde, Tange Prestige frame, of Japanese manufacture - haven't seen another one like it. Practically the entire spec is Japanese (Shimano, Ritchey MIJ) save the Cinelli cockpit (unless the later production was shifted to Japan?)

I don't suspect that the Cinelli bits will matter significantly to a future owner, not if replaced with quality Nitto ones. I do see the value in a future owner wanting matched stem and bars, however. FWIW, the 1A is 110mm length and the 66 bars are 44 width, not far off a "normal" pairing.

I contemplated going with compact bars, like the Somas, as I'm most comfortable on them but managed to source some classic curve Nittos with a shallower drop.
Old 05-22-21, 12:03 PM
mruneedahelmet

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I don't really care about matching brands. But, if you're planning on selling or reusing the bars, don't scratch them up and make a mess out of them.

Open Face stems have opened up a world of possibilities for bar shapes and forms. Aero bars?
Yes, whoever did the install of the bars onto the stem already marred them up a little. I would rather avoid making it worse swapping different bars onto the stem.

The replacement stem would be of similar design to the 1A. The new bars will be classic curve drop bars, nothing peculiar.
Old 05-22-21, 12:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Would you keep the stem and handlebars paired with the same make?

Sure... If I could afford it. Come to think of it I have had only one bike where the stem and bars were a pair. They were Cinelli on a 1975 Liotto.

Being a cheap bastard, at inspection every one of my bikes is FRANKEN. Have a stem and bars from same make; I'm lucky to have them out of the same material... Ha
Old 05-22-21, 12:17 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,484 Times in 3,208 Posts
Almost always ... unless it's french.
Old 05-22-21, 12:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by mruneedahelmet
I get your point about keeping original spec of a bike for resale; however this bike is a bit of an oddity and mystery. It's a mid 90's Concorde, Tange Prestige frame, of Japanese manufacture - haven't seen another one like it. Practically the entire spec is Japanese (Shimano, Ritchey MIJ) save the Cinelli cockpit (unless the later production was shifted to Japan?)

I don't suspect that the Cinelli bits will matter significantly to a future owner, not if replaced with quality Nitto ones. I do see the value in a future owner wanting matched stem and bars, however. FWIW, the 1A is 110mm length and the 66 bars are 44 width, not far off a "normal" pairing.

I contemplated going with compact bars, like the Somas, as I'm most comfortable on them but managed to source some classic curve Nittos with a shallower drop.
Yeah, if it's not a known original part, then, yeah. But you could sell the Cinelli bar and stem together. A month ago, I might have bought it! Pretty happy with the 130mm 1A and the Highway One, now.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-22-21, 05:29 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by mruneedahelmet
I'm currently set up with a Cinelli 1A with Model 66 bars; they are from later production with the 26.0mm size. The bars don't really suit me so I'll be swapping them for some Nittos.

Should I swap the stem too to something Nitto, if only to simplify the installation? Would keeping the Cinelli as a combo make sense to sell on to a new owner? I understand 26.0 Cinelli bars are a bit of an oddity. I'm not exactly building something for Eroica so not that fussed about aesthetics.
Since you're asking then yes mainly because they are the outlier here, Nitto bars and SR, whatever stem, Nitto if you really want but I wouldn't unless I had one already in stock (and I do ), any decent Japanese stem would be fine with me if you're not going to keep the Cinelli's on it. I would keep them together just because they may compliment each other for a better sale later.
Old 05-23-21, 07:12 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Being a restorer of vintage road bikes, I would want the bar to match the stem if that was original issue to the bicycle. Other than that, I want a bar wide enough to impart comfort and a stem, of suitable length and as pretty as I can find...

This is a Legnano pantographed stem and shall remain, forever, on my Legnano. The handlebar has no markings at all but was original to the bike, or at least close to it. It too will remain...

When I do not know for sure what is needed for restoration or if I just don't have, meaning can't afford, the proper stem, I go with ornate...

The Carnelli stem, above, was pirated from a Bottecchia and installed on the all chrome Torpado that I built. My most recent Torpado features an OEM stem and I like it not quite as much as the Carnelli, but original ttt offering is much preferred...
Old 05-23-21, 10:08 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
I have a couple of Cinelli 66-40 bars matched with 100mm 1A stems, all 26.4. Thankfully they are the right combination for me.

One came on a complete bike, but the other was bought as a matched pair. I’m glad the PO kept them together, as finding 1A stems in useful lengths is harder than I expected.

I have a third 66-40 in 26.0 without a mate, will probably use a Nitto when the time comes.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 05-23-21, 01:27 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
I need things to be matchy-matchy. Even if that match is just in my head- slapping parts together isn't my bag, baby.

A stem and bars... that's right in your face every time you ride.

Additionally- there's the "keeping things together" thing.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 05-23-21, 04:13 PM
mruneedahelmet

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I need things to be matchy-matchy. Even if that match is just in my head- slapping parts together isn't my bag, baby.

A stem and bars... that's right in your face every time you ride.

Additionally- there's the "keeping things together" thing.
OK, I'm convinced to keep stem and bars paired. Fortunately Nitto stems are readily available, unless I'm going to the extreme of seeking out one that is vintage accurate. Still, I am confident I can source one without breaking the bank.

Your point about the significance of the cockpit is a valid one. Only on my most recent bikes have I been spoiled with excellent stems and bars. Heck, I took for granted the DuraAce stem and Nitto M176 bars I had on the Marino I just sold; I would have happily swapped that with the Cinelli setup if the order of transactions permitted.
Old 05-25-21, 06:09 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Many of the above comments reinforce my thankfulness for being an insensitive clot. I even have 26.0 bars in 26.4 stems with a beer can shim. And in distant times I recall wedging open bar clamps to get too-big bars to fit !
Wild and crazy times, eh?
Old 05-25-21, 10:18 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Match, I tend to replace 30 to 40 year old stems and bars with Nitto.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 06-05-21, 11:29 PM
mruneedahelmet

I successfully tracked down a more appropriate stem and handlebar combo. The ergonomics of this Nitto Mod 55 bar, with a shallower drop than the Cinelli 66, suit me much better. The Pearl stem is easy on the eyes too.

​​​​ Anyone looking for a Cinelli CdM bars paired to a 1A stem?

Nitto Pearl stem and Mod 55 handlebars
Old 06-06-21, 06:41 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 514 Posts
To make the bike fit, I usually have to change the stem and/or bars anyway, so I'm not too worried about keeping the originals together. I just try to have the replacements match the character of the bike.

For a bike that I'm selling, if I have the matching pieces and they don't work for me, then I'll put them on to make the bike look a bit more coordinated.
Old 06-06-21, 07:08 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Yeah, put me in the I don't care camp about matching. It's a bike for riding and the stem/bar are part of the fit process. Give me what works for the look I am going for on that bike.

I'm currently working on a Klein Quantum II that I took in recently. For silly reasons only I'm trying to get it under 18 lbs. Since I only have 3 ozs to go and the current Modolo 8X Tenos bars don't work for me I'm trying to find a lighter, compact bar/stem setup in the size needed to work for me. Won't care if they match brand wise or not. Now to figure out who makes the lightest 26.0 bars these day.....