Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice for CX mechanic disc brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 12:00 AM
Rob Fullnorth
Rob Fullnorth

Bikes: Canyon Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello, I have Cinelli Zydecco CX equipped with Shimano BR-R317 post-mount disc brakes. The efficiency of it is very poor. Moreover, I'm struggling with overheating every time I ride in the mountains.I would like to change it to something better. Can you recommend any alternative for these brakes?

thank you very much!
Old 04-12-20, 03:03 AM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
TRP Spyre are the hands-down, lightest weight, highest performance mechanical disc brakes. I use mine with BBB BBS-53 organic pads. What ever you do, do not use the normal Shimano B01S pads. Their braking quality and power pales in comparison.
Likes For pressed001:
Old 04-12-20, 03:24 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
First things first. Change the pads to something like Koolstop, Jagwire, swissstop or shimano Metallic or semi metallic. Change your cables to Jagwire road Pro. Then, if that doesn't work, think about swapping to TRP Spyres and some Icetech rotors. You can't use Icetech with single moving pad brakes like your current brakes. The other thing would be to jump straight to Spyres and Icetechs with good pads and good cables, so you don't spend on good pads for the old calipers. You could contact Cinelli and find out what the biggest disc you can fit on the front too.
Old 04-12-20, 08:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I would go with TRP Spyres with Kool Stop pads and Shimano XT Ice Tech rotors and compressionless housing (me I like the Elite Link but the road version on my touring bike needed a little more length so keep that in mind).

After looking at those above it seems we are all saying the same thing.
Old 04-12-20, 11:39 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob Fullnorth
Hello, I have Cinelli Zydecco CX equipped with Shimano BR-R317 post-mount disc brakes. The efficiency of it is very poor. Moreover, I'm struggling with overheating every time I ride in the mountains.I would like to change it to something better. Can you recommend any alternative for these brakes?

thank you very much!
You're going to want the 4-piston Juin Tech GT-P, aka Yokozuna Ultimo. Yokozuna comes with compressionless housing.

Ensure you use better compressionless brake housing and cable.

Comments section in the article below, give suggestions for getting the best performance.
https://bikepacking.com/gear/yokozun...brakes-review/

Note:- Sintered finned pads are expensive. If you ever want to try out that spec, I found UberBike UK has cheaper ones.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 04-13-20 at 12:31 AM. Reason: txt
Old 04-13-20, 12:13 PM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Originally Posted by tangerineowl
You're going to want the 4-piston Juin Tech GT-P, aka Yokozuna Ultimo. Yokozuna comes with compressionless housing.

Ensure you use better compressionless brake housing and cable.

Comments section in the article below, give suggestions for getting the best performance.
https://bikepacking.com/gear/yokozun...brakes-review/

Note:- Sintered finned pads are expensive. If you ever want to try out that spec, I found UberBike UK has cheaper ones.
Hey now. That just might be my next brake! UberBike makes some great stuff too, btw.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-20, 02:13 PM
Rob Fullnorth
Rob Fullnorth

Bikes: Canyon Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for recommendations. I'm considering to choose TRP Spyre with Kool stop pads. Quick questions:
1. Are calipers for front and rear wheel the same? At least I cannot find different versions for separate wheels.
2. Is it worth adding more euros for SLC version?

thanks!
Old 04-15-20, 02:41 PM
pressed001
glorified 5954

I really like the way the SLC's look. The weight it negligible though. So, buy them if the look is worth it to you.

Regarding the pads. I love kool-stop pads for my rim brakes. But I gotta say the BBB pads for discs are really great. Never tried the kool-stops and maybe they're great too.
Old 04-16-20, 06:34 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
As much as I like the Spyres, they have the same pad area as the BB7, so I don't think they'll help with the overheating problem UNLESS they're part of a system change that includes Ice rotors. My advice would be to go with a larger rotor. That will only require the rotor and an adapter.