Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2011 Specialized Stumpjumper fsr comp vs. 2011 Trek Fuel ex 8?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.
View Poll Results: Stumpy fsr comp or fuel ex 8?
Stumpy
57.14%
Fuel ex 8
42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-10, 09:48 PM
jhatcher22

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, i tried searching for this topic but had no results. Anyways, in the next week or two I'm planning on purchasing a new full suspension bike. I've narrowed it down to a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper fsr comp and a 2011 Trek Fuel ex 8. I've been reading a lot about the fuel ex 8 and im interested in the ABP and the DRCV Shock, it sounds like a really good bike. A buddy of mine has a Stumpjumper Elite 2010 and it rides well so i know the 2011 fsr comp will be a good bike. I have 2 bike shops near me, one sells trek and one sells Specialized. The lbs that sells the trek is a nice shop, however, the owner is a dick when i try to talk to him about the ex8 but he is going to give it to me for $2300 taxes included. The lbs that sells specialized is giving me the stumpy for $2200 taxes included and i get a long great with all the people there. If anyone could give me some advice on what bike to purchase that would be great. I have to say i'm kinda particular to the Fuel ex 8 because of the ABP and DRCV technology the bike has. I ride mostly single track and some trails can get pretty technical at times. Is this bike worth an extra 100 bucks and a not so friendly lbs? Or should i go with the stumpy? I want a bike that can climb really well and can be quick around corners and downhills.

Last edited by jhatcher22; 09-07-10 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 09-09-10, 11:48 PM
jhatcher22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well since no one is replying it seems i will go with the stumpjumper next week. If anyone agrees or disagrees let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-09-10, 11:53 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I was one of the two votes for the stump jumper. While the ABP is a great system and all, the stump jumper fsr has a much better suspension platform than what trek offers.
Old 09-10-10, 01:24 AM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Both are good bikes. Personally, I like the component spec on the Trek a lot better, and I think the ride would be a bit more stable with the larger headtube, the ABP, and the shock design (from the little I know, and from what I can tell in parking-lot test rides). The Stumpjumper has more travel, if that's a plus for you. I have a Specialized myself, and I like it. It fit me better than the Trek, and mine came with a travel-adjust fork and a Shimano drivetrain.
As a shop employee- and I'm not saying this is how it went down with the Trek shop where you live- I can say that about half of my customers try to push me to give them a deal, throw in free stuff, whatever. I can't give everyone "deals" just because they ask (or demand), particularly not on brand-new bikes or special ordered bikes, and it gets annoying when people are always asking for ridiculous discounts. Part of what you're buying when you go to a bike shop is the service; a customer haggling like they're at a garage sale can sometimes be taken as insulting, like they don't value the amount of time an employee spent sending them on test rides, going over component specs, discussing their plans for the bike, etc. So, that may be part of the mindset that you encountered with the guy at the Trek shop.
Old 09-10-10, 01:05 PM
jhatcher22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the feedback. shopgirl u may be right. I never really tried for more than the 2300 he originally offered me. he just seems he doesnt take me serious when i ask him about the bike. o well. Ive read shimano components are good but i like the stumpjumpers specs this year. its mostly sram components, rockshox revelation fork, and fox rear suspension. im only fond of sram because ive has it on my old bike and never had any problems nor did i ever have to really adjust anything. A buddy of mine had shimano on his 2010 stumpy elite and has had nothin but problems. however as far as looks the trek blows away the stumpjumper. also heard the paint chips easily on the trek. i guess either one will be a good buy and a big upgrade from my entry lvl hardtail ive been using. thanks for the help.
Old 09-10-10, 06:32 PM
shaderider
Trail Ninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been comparing the stump jumper carbon hardtails 29ers with the trek gary fishers and it seems around here I get more bang for my buck with the stumpjumper. It has better drivetrain for the money compared to trek IMO. I don't know about your LBS and the weight ratio.

Like to highlight that I said in my opinion.
Old 09-11-10, 12:59 AM
jhatcher22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha! The poll right now is 50/50. Pretty difficult decision...wish i could just buy both of them.
Old 09-11-10, 06:25 AM
Bosock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really it comes down to riding them both and seeing which one feels right for you. That is exactly what i did when i went looking. I liked the ride of the stumpy far better than the Trek Fuel EX 9 (i believe it was). I felt better in the cock pit of the stumpy (specially coming downhill in tight turns), I liked the suspension response better, and braking in rougher sections seemed to be more controllable on the stumpy. My family has owned three stumpys and have not had any issues with maintenance or parts failure...been very solid performing and dependable bikes. However, both are good bikes and comes down to personal preference. You cant go wrong with either...I just preferred the stumpy.

As far as attitude of the shop...that goes a long ways. I can appreciate what shopgirl notes above; however, if you own or work in a bike shop you have committed yourself to sales and people browsing and bartering is part of the business. You wouldn't be a doctor if you didnt like being around sick people. You may be buying service at the bike shop, and if so, that is the sales pitch...being short or blowing off someone because they didnt walk in and slap down money right away just isnt a shop i would deal with jhatcher22. People are going to shop for deals...human nature. Good salesperson understands that and is able to emphasis the advantages of purchasing through that shop, whether it be better service or pricing, and the customer determines what best interests them. If another bike shop offers similar service and cheaper price...shouldnt get short with people for going with them...you should look at your business model. Here is an ironic story and maybe a part to my rant here. The wife went looking for her bike and we went to one of three bike shops in the area. It sold Gary Fishers, she had ridden one before and liked it, so that was her first choice. We went in she found the bike and we began to speak with the owner. He gave us the price and i provided the standard "Can you play with that price at all". He goes into this long whine about very small profit margin on the bikes and nobody respecting service anymore or supporting there local area bike stores. Despite my encouraging to go elsewhere she felt bad and wanted that bike. We bought it. Afterwards we were informed that she would get one free adjustment, no free fitting and that she didnt really need it as seeing her sit on the bike seemed about right, and he would give us 10% off on our next purchase of merchandise and our first maintenance. I purchased my bike 5 miles down the road, they came off the price $200 and provided 2 years free maintenance...we have bought every bike we own there since. Anyway the ironic part, my wife is at work (i cant say where she works), and the owner of the bike shop comes in, his issues get addressed timely, and upon checking out he is at the counter bartering with the staff not wanting to pay full price, or even paying, for some of the services he received stating how caring is a business that wont even work with its customers....hahahhaa what a hoot. Her having a better temperament and a bit more professional then I, didnt say a word...just walked away smiling. We have not bought another bike there. Basically if the guy is snubbing you, whether you asked for a deal or not, it most likely isnt the place you want to deal with.

Again, cant go wrong with either bike, my preference was the stumpy however.