Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek vs Marin vs Specialized - advice needed please

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek vs Marin vs Specialized - advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 02:40 PM
bfuser15015502

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Trek vs Marin vs Specialized - advice needed please

Hi,

After 3 years of riding a really basic Giant Hybrid (CRS 4.0) I'm looking to upgrade, and very excited about it! I've been looking around for a few weeks and have test ridden a few bikes but I'm having trouble making a final decision so would love any help and advice.

In terms of my requirements - I want something quite a bit faster than my existing bike (I'm pretty much cycling in the top gear the whole time at the moment), but something that can still handle roads that are a bit rough in places. I use the bike 3-4 times a week to cycle to work in London (6 miles each way). I'm a female, but don't want anything super girly, and ideally also don't want anything too flashy looking as I don't want to be constantly worried about it getting stolen when I lock it up outside work. Naturally I'll have a good d-lock on it and insurance etc but still.

I've got a budget of between 400 and 650-ish pounds. I want as nice a bike as possible, but I don't want to get carried away as I use it for commuting, not racing or long days out on my bike. Having said that, I do love cycling and want something I'm going to be excited about. So it's all about the balance really.

I've shortlisted the following bikes and I would love any thoughts, input etc:

1. Marin Novato 2010 - 449 pounds, down from 650 - https://www.cyclesurgery.com/marin-no...-product/10420
2. Trek 7.3 WSD 2011 - 500 pounds - https://www.cyclesurgery.com/trek%207...-product/19775
3. Giant Dash 4 2011 - 500 pounds - https://www.cyclesurgery.com/giant-da...-product/20529
4. Vita Elite 2011 - 549 pounds - https://www.cyclesurgery.com/speciali...-product/20010
5. Ridgeback Element Womens 2011 - 569 - https://www.cyclesurgery.com/ridgebac...-product/20062
6. Ridgeback Flight 03 2010 - 649, down from 899 - https://www.cyclesurgery.com/ridgebac...cp-product/255
7. Vita Comp 2011 - 699 - https://www.cyclesurgery.com/speciali...-product/20011

I'd like to get a decent quality bike, that's good value for money and suitable for my needs. The bike I liked the look of the most isn't on the list - the Marin Olema 2010, as unfortunately they only had it in a size 17 inch frame which is apparently too small for me at 5'8" !

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by bfuser15015502; 04-10-11 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-10-11, 04:00 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Top gear all the time? Get a fixed gear or single speed.
Old 04-10-11, 04:23 PM
Capecodder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Personally I like the Trek, but I'm a Trek fan. Trek spends a lot of time and money on bike design, and I think they got it right.
Old 04-10-11, 04:55 PM
up4speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I just bought a bike, so I know what you are going through. After many hours of research and test rides, I narrowed it down to the Trek FX 7.5, and the Specialized Sirrus. I went with the Trek b/c I felt it had slightly better components, plus it was a closer dealer. I don't have real world experience to tell you about yet, because I pick my bike up next Thursday. I just wanted to say good luck with your search. Of course I picked the Trek so I would say get the 7.3, but I think the other bikes you chose were also great choices. All that said, I would take the Specialized Vita Elite over the Trek 7.3, but it is more expensive also. If you are going to pay more, I would say to look at the Trek FX 7.5 then. I don't know anything about the other brands that you looked at though. Like I said, good luck! I found myself going in circles also, until I just dove in and made a choice.
Old 04-10-11, 04:57 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bianchi Pista
Old 04-10-11, 05:14 PM
Capecodder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Bianchi Pista
You old Hipster
Old 04-10-11, 05:21 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
She's happy in her high gear al the time. Why bother with shifters, derailleurs, cogset? Simple is better.
Old 04-10-11, 05:28 PM
Capecodder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
She's happy in her high gear al the time. Why bother with shifters, derailleurs, cogset? Simple is better.
Tell me about it....... I remember when my old Schwinn Stingray was all the bike I needed to get all around town. Then I graduated to the 5 speed Singray with the stickshift on the top tube, and it's been all down hill from there.
Old 04-11-11, 03:57 PM
bfuser15015502

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks heaps for all the advice - most appreciated!

qmsdc15 - I do tend to cycle in my top gear most of the time, but I think that's more of a reflection of my bike being pretty slow with low gears. I do use other gears when stopping and starting, just as soon as I get moving I run out of gears pretty quickly and want higher gears (I don't like going slowly!). I'm definitely still keen to have a bike with multiple gears ideally.

up4speed - Thanks for your thoughts and good to hear from someone who's gone through the same dilemma! I am leaning towards the Vita Elite or Comp at this point (or the Trek 7.3), but didn't want to get carried away for no reason. I'll let you know how I get on!

Capecodder - Thanks for your advice. I've also heard that Trek are very good bikes.
Old 04-11-11, 04:36 PM
AChristie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too got a 7.3 and it feels great; very fast and lively. I only tested a Raleigh at the same price point but it felt slow and sluggish in comparison.
The Marin has disc brakes if you're riding in the rain. Otherwise I don't see the point.
You'd better ride a few first.
Old 04-11-11, 09:34 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The Marin is a bit different from the rest of the bikes because it has 26x1.6" tires while all the others have 700x28 or 700x32 tires. The diameter is smaller and the tires are wider; you'll trade top speed for acceleration with this one. It looks like you might be able to fit 29"/700c wheels on there but it would be an added expense. If you can find a Marin Muirwoods 29er, that would have larger wheels.

My housemate has a Marin Point Reyes 29er, doesn't look like it's available in UK though, and it's a bit different than my Trek 7.5FX. My FX definitely seems quicker from a stop, but the Point Reyes has a cushier ride when riding through some neglected roadways. I'm also less afraid of cutting through some grass if I have to on the Point Reyes. Either would make a good urban all-arounder IMO.

The Ridgeback Flight 03 seems to be fairly well equipped component wise. I was surprised to read it has a carbon fork because the paint makes it look like metal.

It's interesting that the regular prices I see in UK Pounds is the same number as US dollars for a similar bike.
Old 04-11-11, 11:36 PM
LongIslandTom
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cardew12
In terms of my requirements - I want something quite a bit faster than my existing bike (I'm pretty much cycling in the top gear the whole time at the moment)
Sounds to me like your current Giant hybrid's gearing is too low, causing you to run out of gears.

In that case, out of all the bikes you listed the Giant Dash 4 has the tallest gear combo (52 teeth on the front and 11 teeth on the back), which is a full road-bike gearing setup. You should seldom "spin out" of that gear combo unless you are heading down a very long hill.
Old 04-12-11, 11:03 AM
Von Potter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking at Trek, why not check out the PDX? Its in the 600 range. Supposedly its based on the FX series bikes, plus you get disk brakes. The handlebar and pedals need replaced, but its a great bike. I ride mine every day.
Old 04-25-11, 02:56 PM
bfuser15015502

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I've been pondering this for a few days and think the only way is to get out and test ride a few more before making a decision. They all seem to be decent bikes and I'm sure I'd probably be happy on any of them. Will let you know how I get on! Any other thoughts in the meantime would be most appreciated.