Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A frame too large. Can I make it work?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 05:32 AM
Tajue17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so my main ride is 54 cm I can even get comfortable on a 53 and possibly a 52,,, a buddy sold me a Felt pretty cheap that is 58 and the seat is all the way down to the frame the top bar is just barely touching the crotch,, I'm sure I need to shorten the stem but could this be made to work?

originally was thinking about stripping it and getting another frame but wondering now if I should just keep it the way it is maybe make a touring bike out of it if I could get that up right position.
Old 01-19-18, 06:11 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
For my 2 cents - my bike overall fits, the top tube could definitely be a little shorter. I am ok using a shorter stem. Though one of these days I am shopping for a lighter bike with components current to the last couple of decades.
Yours sounds like you have more going on than that. Being the top tube is lightly touching the crotch, I could imagine this being an issue if you hit the ground too quickly. Also, a shoe, pedal or saddle change could mean the seatpost needs lowered more, this rendering an unridable bike. I wouldn’t think twice about a different bike.
Old 01-19-18, 06:31 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
You can possibly "make it work" with a shorter stem, assuming both saddle height and fore-aft position are correct. DO NOT move the saddle forward merely to get closer to the bars, and the fact that you can pedal it does not mean the height is correct. However, it's much less likely that you can make it comfortable and efficient. I would never consider that much too large a bike for a touring bike, especially for loaded touring, where control is more difficult and dismounting could be seriously painful.

The links below may be helpful in determining fit:
Basic Bike Fit
Revisionist Theory of Bicycle Sizing

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 01-19-18 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-19-18, 08:41 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
"Standover" clearance isn't a complete test of frame fit but you really want it to be adequate for safety. An emergency dismount, particularly on an uneven surface, could be more than just uncomfortable, it could be damaging. I think that frame is significantly too large for you.
Old 01-19-18, 09:37 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd pass the frame on and look for something else. As I've often said, I'd rather have a lesser frame that fit, than a better frame that didnt. Fit is everything imo.
Old 01-19-18, 09:50 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
+1^^^^^. Fit is the most important part of a bike. False economy as it will never feel as good as the proper frame size even with a new stem, possibly handlebars, possibly shorter cranks, etc. to compensate. If all the parts work for you then as you mentioned stripping the frame and selling it to pay for another frame may work but check to see if you can use all or most of the parts as it may just be better to sell it as is and look for another complete bike in your size.
Old 01-19-18, 10:17 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Time to cut your losses.

Every dollar you spend as you attempt to make this frame fit is a dollar added onto the cost of the correct sized frame that you will eventually realize that you need.
Old 01-19-18, 10:37 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Just give it to me, as 58 is my size - problem solved! lol
Old 01-19-18, 03:23 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
...check to see if you can use all or most of the parts as it may just be better to sell it as is and look for another complete bike in your size.
I would vote for the latter option, rather than putting a large amount of work into disassembly, reassembly and probably finding non-compatible parts as well.
Old 01-19-18, 03:59 PM
MePoocho
Always Learning

Bikes: Very Upgraded Denali 63.5cm

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the day... We just screwed wood blocks on the pedals and suffered through any quick stops ...... maybe that is why to this day I speak in a high voice.

( I was just being goofy in the above. No harm meant.)

My frame is 63.5cm and fits perfectly. I've ridden smaller frames and can tell you that 'fit' is important...!

Last edited by MePoocho; 01-19-18 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Frame size incorrectly stated as 'mm' instead of 'cm'.
Old 01-19-18, 04:11 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
If you are forced off of the saddle you will inhale for at least 15 minutes.
Old 01-19-18, 05:02 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I'd advise against "making it work". I had a custom built Paramount, made for me in 1979. It was a 26" frame, but with very steep (75 degree) frame angles, which shorted everthing up. Worked perfectly. A drunk rear-ended me one night. Can't complain - I ended up with a a small nick on my knee. No other injury. But the bike was bent. Sent it back to Schwinn, and they were on strike. Instead of fixing it, they sent me a standard 26 inch frame. I never liked biking as much after that (til I got a properly sized Domane Series Six, in the proper size for me, which rocks).

Frame size is one of the key things determining your ride quality. I'd sell the frame you got, for retail, on eBay or CL. Then buy a comparable frame in the proper size. You'll be a lot happier I think.
Old 01-19-18, 05:24 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tajue17
so my main ride is 54 cm
This right here tells me you shouldn’t be trying a 58. 56 maybe, but 4cm is a big jump.
Old 01-19-18, 05:36 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked 1,575 Times in 1,037 Posts
A 54 is generally going to have corrected top tube length of about 55 cm. A 58 is going to have a corrected TT of about 58. So if you use a 110mm stem length on your 54, you'll need to drop to 3cm to a 90mm for the 58.

Is your 55 stem length long enough to subtract 3cm from it? This is the primary fit issue.

Aside from that, it is going to look a little silly. But if it gets you riding, great!
Old 01-19-18, 05:53 PM
IrishBrewer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Inversion table with heavy weights over time will solve the problem but then you'll have to get a new wardrobe. Probably best to just get the right size frame. Maybe you can trade with a tall guy.
Old 01-19-18, 08:12 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Ask your buddy if he wants it back
Or,
since yo got a great deal, maybe sell it for a profit

Money spent to make it fit will most likely be wasted.
Get one your size, it'll pay dividends every time you ride. & Not only in $$
but in pain free , comfortable rides.

Good luck
Old 01-19-18, 08:41 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

I wonder how many ways "Don't do it" can be said. I have a feeling that many from the northern climes, who have nothing better to do, will use their spare time to test the number of iterations.
Old 01-22-18, 05:15 AM
Tajue17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks everyone for the advice and opinions. I'm going to take good advice and either try to sell the whole bike for cheap or trade the frame for anything in 53/54 maybe even a cross frame or bike might be cool..
Old 01-22-18, 05:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18387 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,359 Posts
Tajue17, how tall are you?

All those people who are worried about the family jewels... have you ever been hurt on a bike?

People including a lot of kids have been riding oversized bikes for eons. It may feel tight, but usually isn't a problem. One doesn't just magically fall onto the top tube, and if one does, a cm or two in height probably won't make much difference (other than more downward acceleration before impact). One often isn't standing flat footed, but often has one foot on a pedal, and perhaps the body off-center slightly.

Now, the bad thing about the large frame. Modern frame building often has an over-sized head tube. With a larger frame, that increases the head tube length even further. And, thus higher bars. It is OK if that is what you want, but difficult to get a race fit.

People unbuild and rebuild frames all the time. It is a booming used market. If your bike is, say Ultegra or better, 10s or 11s, then there would be no reason not to re-use the parts for building your dream bike.
Old 01-22-18, 09:54 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by Tajue17
Hey thanks everyone for the advice and opinions. I'm going to take good advice and either try to sell the whole bike for cheap or trade the frame for anything in 53/54 maybe even a cross frame or bike might be cool..
Also don't get caught up in listed frame sizes as they can vary quite a bit as to how well it fits you. Best to get an idea of how long a top tube you need as well as how high the head tube sits in relation to your seat height to give you the best range of adjustment for how high your handlebars are going to be. Measure the bikes you have if you feel they're setup comfortably and use those measurements to determine your new frame size. Almost all mfrs have a chart of their frame dimensions for each model. Even better if you can take a test ride.
Old 01-22-18, 09:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
IDK, you have a long torso & arms, but short legs.. frames used to only need short seat posts.. 50 years ago that was the fashion..
Old 01-22-18, 10:49 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
My bikes are generally in the 53-54 range and I can comfortably ride most 56's, but 58 is generally a no-go. Simply too big for me. Kinda feels like when I was a young teenager, trying to ride my dad's bike.

As mentioned by a few guys above, a frame's effective top tube length may be the most critical measurement when it comes to determining whether or not you can make a frame work for you. Since you mentioned the possibility of a cross bike, be aware that cyclocross frames often have long effective top tube lengths compared to road frames of the same nominal size (possibly due in part to CX bikes' higher bottom brackets). What this means is you may find yourself comfortable on a CX frame whose nominal size is a few cm smaller than your road bike. Like crankycrank mentioned above, most bike brands have published geometry charts for their recent models. You can look up the top tube length (and other specs) to compare them to your current bikes for a fit reference.
Old 01-22-18, 11:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
& .. what are the top tube lengths? as the ST is lengthened the TT is also..

state both numbers..
Old 01-23-18, 05:25 AM
Tajue17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still haven't been professionally fitted so im not sure if "what feels right" is right for me so for now thats all I can do is determine by the height of that top tube. what I noticed as far as my body speaking to me on long rides is my finger tips go numb sometimes so i'm wondering if should raise the bars or am I stretched out too far.. Bike stores will only do a ballpark fitting IF I'm buying a bike from them and a Pro bike fitting that I found here with all great reviews is $300.00 with I think 2 or 3 hr sitting, standing, pedaling video and full documentation for me to take home but I have to wait till I get the spare cash.
Old 01-23-18, 05:51 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18387 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,359 Posts
Lots of people have never had a fitting, and still survive with what "feels right".

Be careful with numbness. Don't lock your elbows, and try rotating to a few different hand and body positions. For example, a relaxing position when you're not needing to ride the brakes is to lay the forearms across the bars and hang onto the knobs on top of your brake levers.

Here is a thread...
Not everyone rides all the same size of bicycles.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-you-ride.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.