Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Vintage or new bike for mom?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 02:31 AM
mb158127

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Mom mentioned recently that she wants a bike to get more active. I had an old Hercules women's 3 speed from the 70s in the garage and she liked it and wanted to ride it but I said no because it is not roadworthy. Since I don't know when I can get to restoring that one I'm looking for another solution to get her riding this season.

The problem is she is very particular in her taste and only wants a vintage English 3 speed or something that looks very close to one. Ideally I would find a fully restored Raleigh Sport ready to go for her. But then I think a vintage bike would require more frequent maintenance and some level of knowledge she just does not have and I'm afraid it wouldnt be long before she would not be riding again. Tell me if you think I'm wrong...

So my real question: does anyone know of any good newer makes/models with a vintage look like the English 3spd style? I want something of quality - no one piece cranks, peeling paint, cheap plastic parts and etc. I've seen some 'cafe cruisers' which look alright from far away but they all fit that description. Needs to be a step-through and if it came with or could accommodate a rear rack it would be perfect.

Plz direct me to something- Thx!

Last edited by mb158127; 05-11-15 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-11-15, 03:33 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
There is a huge 3 sp thead going on in the Classic & Vintage forum now. I would suggest posting in that. An incredible amunt of knowledge is yours for the asking.
Old 05-11-15, 03:34 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
An English 3-speed like that Hercules is about as low-maintenance as it gets. What does it need to get road-worthy?
Old 05-11-15, 06:37 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is your mother you are talking about here... make time to get the bike road worthy... you already know she likes it.
Old 05-11-15, 07:37 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would say that three speeds would definitely be worth pursuing if it gives her the gearing she wants. There is a reason that so many manufacturers offer 3 speeds in their line-up.

For cost, vintage would be a good bet. If your mother has to lift the bike, I would however consider looking for a modern bike with hopes that it is lighter. A nice modern chromoly 3 speed would be interesting. There are kits (a little hard to find) that can be used to run an SA 3 speed on any frame with horizontal dropouts (needed because the dropouts are wider than the typical 3 speed dropouts) if you find a reasonably light vintage frame to convert, that might be an idea.

I am fixing up a vintage 5 speed for someone now... also simple, and easy maintenance, unless ridden in poor conditions, in which case cleaning the drive train is a little more critical..

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-11-15, 09:30 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Try Linus, Public or Brooklyn Bikes for new bikes with vintage style. They all have 3sp in various styles: mixte, loop or diamond.
Old 05-11-15, 09:38 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by mb158127
Mom mentioned recently that she wants a bike to get more active. The problem is she is very particular in her taste and only wants a vintage English 3 speed.!
Give the lady what she wants. How hard could it be to make the vintage Hercules 3-speed that you already own road-able?
Old 05-11-15, 09:57 AM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Bikes: Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give her the 3 speed bike that she like! If you don't have the time to fix it, take the bike to the bike shop for a tune up. Tell them to be throughfull about it, it is required because it is for the woman who brought you to this world.
Old 05-11-15, 01:53 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Went through this kind of thing with my mom and dad a few years ago. They decided at the age of about...oh...70 or so to get some bikes and ride on the local MUPs and in some other quiet flat areas. Mom wanted a 3 speed with a coaster brake. She found a decent 70's vintage bike her size (I forget what it was - well known brand) on Craigslist and rode it quite a bit for a couple summers. Dad was riding a hybrid of some sort that was a size too small.

So for their 50th anniversary my siblings and I decided to get them new bikes. After looking around at what was available I took them to the local Specialized dealer and had them test ride the Globe Daily 1. My mother wasn't sure about the braking by hand, but after a few spins around the parking lot she couldn't stop grinning. The bike felt half the weight of the vintage she'd been riding. They are great looking bikes, and four years later they've put close to 3k miles on them - all at about 9 mph

I think if we hadn't gotten them the bikes, they would have given up by now. Mom's vintage bike was a tank, and she's had some health problems in the past couple of years to the point where walking was difficult but she could still get on the bike and ride. She can even lift it off the hitch rack herself still. They are like kid with those things - and it's a great feeling to have given them back a little.