Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

72 batavuas Type Champion

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-20, 04:19 PM
mb158127

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
72 batavuas Type Champion

what’s it worth? Looks very clean and has some old campy parts (NR?)

Old 12-15-20, 04:30 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Could just be the angle of the photo, but the fork looks wonky to me. Possibly a bent steerer tube. Worth checking out to make certain.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-15-20, 04:44 PM
mb158127

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Could just be the angle of the photo, but the fork looks wonky to me. Possibly a bent steerer tube. Worth checking out to make certain.
appears to me to be angle (from above) combined with a turn rightward. Can see the other blade through spokes. Will def confirm in person
Old 12-15-20, 04:59 PM
mb158127

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Still wondering on how to value - it appears like it may be gas pipe, no braze ons for bottle cage, wingnuts on axle, cottered crank, but then I see campy bits and nice lugwork

Last edited by mb158127; 12-15-20 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-15-20, 05:44 PM
mb158127

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Will leave this as a warning for anyone coming across this - seller got really cagey when i asked for better side view photo. Then he started going on about how many nice bikes (PX-10) he owns and that some of them are also designed to appear like they had a head on collision. According to specs this is a gas pipe low end but he said some of them came with campy, maybe but doubtful. I suspect he threw a couple bits on and since there’s not much on batavus generally online ppl may be fooled.

[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/5eaf8e81-d438-41c4-9cc2-0b7921515bb3[/img]
Old 12-15-20, 07:54 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 694 Posts
I had the next model up, the Tour de l’Europe, which was essentially the same frame as the Champion and the Monte Carlo, just different parts. Non-descript tubing, Bocama lugs, ESGE/Pletscher flat brake bridge and kickstand plates. The Champion was comparable to a Peugeot A-08, and the stock derailleur set was Simplex Prestige I think. The pictured Campagnolo Velox or Valentino units are replacements.

While I wouldn’t mind picking up a Tour de l’Europe cheap somewhere, it would purely be an exercise in nostalgia. There are nicer gaspipe bike boom bikes out there.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 12-17-20, 04:29 PM
d_dutchison
Classic, Vintage Mechanic

Bikes: '65 Legnano Gran Primeo || '76 Holdsworth Mistral || '82 Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
The Velox/Valentino derailleurs could well have been original, they were Campagnolo's absolute bottom of the barrel line and were sold solely to get a high-end name associated with a low-end bike, kind of like how Shimano Tourney derailleurs are a selling point on today's department store bikes. It's an unremarkable bike-boom 10 speed, just one step above entry level. The pleasures of riding a good steel frame are not present in bikes of this quality so that may account for how little use it has received over the decades.
Old 12-18-20, 11:53 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 1,768 Posts
Unless you're an avid collector of entry level bikes with bent forks, I'd say pass on this one.

The Champion was Batavus' entry level model. Gas pipe, steel rims, stem shifters, the works. Build and paint quality will be excellent, and with proper care it will last well into the 22nd century, but if you're looking for an enticing ride, look elsewhere. If you like Batavus (which I do, BTW), look for the higher end models, such as the Competition, Criterium and Professional.

Old 12-19-20, 12:49 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
I like the rear reflector and and wing nuts but agree the fork may be dodgey. Frankly I don't really see any thing special about this bike if it has a simplex or shipmano Eagle Rd we'd be calling it another Boom Bike yes?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-19-20, 02:56 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 639 Posts
Originally Posted by mb158127
Still wondering on how to value - it appears like it may be gas pipe, no braze ons for bottle cage, wingnuts on axle, cottered crank, but then I see campy bits and nice lugwork
The Campy bits look to be second generation Valentino bottom end bike boom stuff actually some of the worst mass produced parts ever made so IMHO they actually detract from value on this level bike.
Likes For zukahn1: