Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Help Identifying Unmarked Vintage Italian Roadbike

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-12, 05:55 PM
Herkamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I'm very new to vintage roadbike collecting.. I picked up this vintage bike at a thrift store yesterday and have identified everything excepting the frame/fork.
It needs some love and WD-40, but it test-rode beautifully.

I took it around to a few local bike shops, they said someone might have rubbed the decals off while trying to clean it up.

Anyhow, I did my best to identify the components:

Campagnolo Rear (nuovo record - patent-72) and Front Derailleurs (including sprockets on the rear)
Campagnolo Crank set - (42/52 170 strada with a <C> on the 42 sprocket) and bottom bracket (externally at least, I didn't open it up to confirm)
Campagnolo Pedals, Seatpost, Dropouts (front and rear), and Headset (I haven't figured out how to check the threading yet)

3ttt handlebars and stem (85mm, record)

Suntour bar-end shifters

Unicanitor leather seat - says Cinelli underneath

Regina Freewheel Merate 16-23 teeth G.S. Corse S.I.C.C. 5sp

Dia-compe center pull brakes

Mikashima toe-clips with lapize straps and a german kickstand that came separate

Araya 27" / 1.25" rims with sunshine hubs

New tires on it, because the old ones were completely blown out.

Pictures are in a gallery here: https://imgur.com/a/aqXni#0

I would like to know what kind of bike/frame it is, approximate year and any additional interesting information about it/the components.
Let me know what you think, and if you need more specific pictures or information.
I'm not interested in selling it, but I'd also love to know how much it is worth.

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-25-12, 06:04 PM
mb158127

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
wow, that is a really nice bike. Nice lugs..barcons... A hell of a thrift store find. Don't wanna know what you paid, I will probably cry. Sorry I don't have a clue what it is, but nevertheless I'll say its worth 1000 +/- 500. Polish it up, and I'm pretty sure that flickstand belongs on the front wheel, not the rear.

Edit: by coincidence, just learned today what "tire wipers" are.

Last edited by mb158127; 11-26-12 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-25-12, 06:33 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,379 Times in 892 Posts
I would guess that the hubs and rims aren't original - might have had tubulars (with Campy hubs) at some point. Wonder if the barcons were an update as well...

WAG on the year would be 74 to 76. Can't help with the maker.

Great find!
Old 11-25-12, 06:44 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 115 Posts
Early 70's would be my guess.
Old 11-26-12, 11:08 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
+1 Probably came original with tubulars and DT shifters.

Any chance this could be one of those "Campagnolo" bikes made for display shows and stuff? I know Campy didn't actually manufacture bikes but given the seat tube sticker, apparent original paint and lack of other badges it's my best guess.
Old 11-27-12, 07:59 AM
Herkamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your replies and insight, I have a long rambling update.

I looked down the seat tube and the bottom bracket is engraved with the theme Campagnolo "globe/international" logo.

The cable guides are brazed-on Campagnolo, the larger one has engraved "Brev Camp". The DT has two impressions from previous clamp-ons, one at the very top and one at the very bottom, each ~1/4" from the respective lugs. I might wager a guess that the top impression was due to the original clamp-on DT shift levers as suggested, it is now covered by the "columbus" foil sticker (claimed pre-70s here: https://classicrendezvous.com/Italy/Columbus_main.htm). The clamp-on impression has depth, it can be seen/felt easily. The columbus sticker also appears to have been removed and replaced, as there is previous sticker residue in the approximate rectangular shape visible.. I'm not sure about the bottom impression, I thought perhaps a clamp-on cable guide, but I'm not sure if it makes sense considering there are braze-ons.. the impression/evidence is also very light, barely more than dust residue and smooth paint to indicate something was there.

The bottom bracket shell cutouts are still a mystery, no sign of signatures or serial numbers after a mild cleaning.

The lug theme is teardrops.. with a few circles and one arrow with a round end on the DT/HT connector. Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/EZZEE#0
Potentially slightly later version of these Bocamas?: https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Fra...a/bocama_3.htm

I'm not completely convinced the paint job is original. If it is, it seems to have been done a little hastily or perhaps re-touched somewhere along the line. There are a number of imperfections (runs/wrinkles/etc.), the paint is quite thick in some places and there are quite a few fine blue splatters in proximity to the stripes done on the seat-tube. Many of the newer chips/wear to the paint show what looks to be chrome underneath in areas you would expect, e.g. on the fork, most of the back half of the chain/seat stays, and on the head tube..

The brakes are "reversed" where the left handle controls the rear brake. I would guess the swap occurred when the shifters were replaced (unless it was always that way), perhaps the original brakes were swapped at that time as well. The blue tape was added over black tape of the same style.

I also thought the wheel set seemed out of place, thanks for confirming that.
Once I figure out what the heck it is, I will start looking into replacing the Japanese components with era campy ones.

Alright, last thing: I stumbled upon this blog late last night https://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com...29/chrome.html and thought it might be reasonable to mention I picked up this bike in Poway, CA.. only 30 short miles from the once Masi, USA in Carlsbad(?) and probably close by a whole bunch of custom bike builders.. the mystery bike looks a little like an early Masi minus the headbadge rivet holes, or a custom built clone perhaps?

Thanks again for your help!