Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire Tube Replacement Questions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 03:04 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

Ok set out to ride to the gym. Checked the tires and they were fine. Didn't check for the ride back from the gym. Took off and WHAM! Front tire went out from under me like I hit an oil slick. Checked the front and it was flat. Anyway got the bike home and lo and behold, the stem was cut the base.

Then I remembered the seller telling me he "had them fix the rims for "normal" valves.". When I took the tire off I noticed the stem hole seemed pretty sharp so I bought some small round files and tried to smooth out the holes.

​​​​​​Unfortunately I forgot that my spare tube is a presta valve. So my questions are:

1) Can I use the presta valve tube (I'm guessing no).
2). Is the rim even safe to use? Should I put some electrical tape around the new stem to prevent this from happening again?
3) Suggestions for tubes would be good. The ones I'm seeing on Amazon that seem like they'd work are the 700c 35-45 mm size (tires are 700c x 40)

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-24, 03:06 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 402 Posts
There are adapters, made of rubber or metal, for using presta tubes in Schraeder holes. It’s not ideal to go without, though I’ve seen it hold up before. Also seen it fail plenty of times.
Old 04-18-24, 03:09 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by bboy314
There are adapters, made of rubber or metal, for using presta tubes in Schraeder holes. It’s not ideal to go without, though I’ve seen it hold up before. Also seen it fail plenty of times.
Ok sounds like I should just get a Schrader tube then.
Presta valves have lock rings which I've read may help prevent what happened to me. I'm assuming Schrader tubes just don't have that? That's a shame. I may put a small piece of electrical tape around the base of the stem.
Old 04-18-24, 03:13 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Here is a bushing (or doohickey) that I think will solve your problem. Insert from inside the rim through your enlarged valve stem hole, and it will allow a presta valve to live there with no more cutting.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Wheels-MFG...Valve-Savers-2
Also, there are some Schrader valves that have metal with threads all the way to the tube, and a little ring that screws down on it.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 04-18-24 at 03:27 PM.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 04-18-24, 03:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4402 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 2,693 Posts
Unfortunately the seller didn't know what they were doing and just decided to go crazy. Hopefully the rim is fine and it very well could be but I would have a trusted mechanic take a look at it just to make sure and maybe before hand file the hole and remove any burrs.

If it is approved then I would put a Schrader to Presta rim adaptor like this: https://wheelsmfg.com/pss-1.html or see if your shop has one of the jam nuts that does nearly the same thing but threads on and you will be fine.

It is a shame people don't understand inner tubes and think that Schrader is some how better or they just refuse to get the correct pump (which they likely need anyway) and just learn how to pump their tires properly. A gas station is the worst place to fill a high pressure low volume bicycle tire because car tires are very low pressure and high volume.

If you do decide to stick with Schrader again still have your mechanic check it out after you have filed and removed any burrs. You shouldn't need any extra tape or anything you want a nice smooth hole that you can run your finger around because if not you will likely abrade the tube and the valve stem and cause more flats.
Old 04-18-24, 04:28 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 277 Posts
Wait... folks actually DESTORY a perfect PV rim, on purpose? Just to downgrade to use SV tubes?

And this is exactly why there exists building codes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rana-Plaza-collapse.jpg (105.2 KB, 130 views)
Old 04-18-24, 04:58 PM
Drago1010

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc.Cannondale Synapse, Fuji Tread 1.0, Marin Larkspur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
There allow you you to use presta valves on shrader drilled rims.
https://www.performancebike.com/pana...saAhLmEALw_wcB
Old 04-18-24, 05:11 PM
RoadWearier

Thanks all! I'll give them a try

Second question....Can I use the 25-35mm tube I have or will it not work with a 40 mm tire?

Last edited by RoadWearier; 04-18-24 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-18-24, 06:40 PM
soyabean

It will balloon out and be very thin. It will work. It won't pop.

For example, for a 700x35C tire, I will choose a tube that is 700x35-50C, so the tube doesn't ned to stretch.

I will not use a 700x28-35C tube, because that smaller tube must stretch out to the 35mm.
Old 04-18-24, 06:53 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
It will balloon out and be very thin. It will work. It won't pop.

For example, for a 700x35C tire, I will choose a tube that is 700x35-50C, so the tube doesn't ned to stretch.

I will not use a 700x28-35C tube, because that smaller tube must stretch out to the 35mm.
When a guy (It's always a guy) walks into the shop looking for a specific width tube without a range, it makes my day...
Old 04-18-24, 07:09 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by wheelreason
When a guy (It's always a guy) walks into the shop looking for a specific width tube without a range, it makes my day...
Why does it make your day?
Old 04-18-24, 07:14 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Unfortunately the seller didn't know what they were doing and just decided to go crazy. Hopefully the rim is fine and it very well could be but I would have a trusted mechanic take a look at it just to make sure and maybe before hand file the hole and remove any burrs.

If it is approved then I would put a Schrader to Presta rim adaptor like this: https://wheelsmfg.com/pss-1.html or see if your shop has one of the jam nuts that does nearly the same thing but threads on and you will be fine.

It is a shame people don't understand inner tubes and think that Schrader is some how better or they just refuse to get the correct pump (which they likely need anyway) and just learn how to pump their tires properly. A gas station is the worst place to fill a high pressure low volume bicycle tire because car tires are very low pressure and high volume.

If you do decide to stick with Schrader again still have your mechanic check it out after you have filed and removed any burrs. You shouldn't need any extra tape or anything you want a nice smooth hole that you can run your finger around because if not you will likely abrade the tube and the valve stem and cause more flats.
Yeah I bought some small files and tried to file it smooth. It's smoothER, but I don't really know how smooth it needs to be. I think the hardware you linked makes sense, may just go to the LBS and see if they have a set.
Old 04-18-24, 08:12 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 108 Posts
Another option, RoadWearier . Schwalbe presta tubes have a locknut that fits into the Schrader valve hole, and thus does the same thing as the adapters other folks have mentioned.
Old 04-18-24, 08:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7026 Post(s)
Liked 11,052 Times in 4,725 Posts
Wait... folks actually DESTORY a perfect PV rim, on purpose? Just to downgrade to use SV tubes?

And this is exactly why there exists building codes.
The photo you posted is...not funny. Especially if you know the death toll from that building collapse.

You should not post that again - anywhere.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-18-24, 09:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4402 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 2,693 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Yeah I bought some small files and tried to file it smooth. It's smoothER, but I don't really know how smooth it needs to be. I think the hardware you linked makes sense, may just go to the LBS and see if they have a set.
It doesn't have to be super smooth but you should be able to run your finger over and around it without catching or causing pain because what will happen is it will overtime rub through so you want it somewhat smooth so it doesn't do that.

They likely have some variant of them.
Old 04-18-24, 10:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 697 Posts
I have run presta tubes in schrader holes at low pressure without problem, but it's not ideal. In your specific case, I'd run one of those shims/adapters just to keep the stem away from the sharp, mickey-moused edges.
Old 04-19-24, 05:31 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Filing the rough edges of the hole was the right thing to do (as long as you didn't go overboard and enlarge or ovalize the hole - sorry, for home mechanics one of the most common mistakes is "too much of a good thing" - I've been guilty of it in the past myself a few times).

For a quick bit of insurance: cut a piece (maybe 1" square) out of your old tube, cut a slit in it in the center, and slip that over your presta valve before you install the tube. That will help while you find a grommet to fit the hole, or buy a tube with a schrader valve. You should be OK for a while, since you're running fairly wide tires at a (presumably) relatively low pressure.

I'm not a shop mechanic, but I think that a 25 - 35 mm tube is less than ideal. In an intact rim drilled for a presta valve I wouldn't worry too much, but since you have that larger hole the tube will be stretched a bit thinner than optimal and could bulge through the gaps between the valve and the rim hole more than a larger tube. You're probably fine, but the risk is somewhat elevated with a smaller tube. You'd probably be wise just to get a tube with a schrader valve when you can.
Old 04-19-24, 06:15 AM
soyabean

This is like those accidented cars that get repaired and refurbed by autobody shops.

I'll always have a nagging sickening feeling using these damaged wheelsets.

PV holes allow for narrower rims. That's why SV rims can't get too small.
Old 04-19-24, 07:10 AM
RoadWearier

Yeah. These are all good suggestions. I'm going to follow them. Probably go to my lbs today and get a couple of those adapters if they have them. I'll sell the 25-35 tube or maybe make that the "just get home" spare. I went down pretty hard just in the parking lot. I thought I hit a patch of oil or leaked antifreeze. I bike in our city a lot and if that had happened in a busy street it would have been bad. Plus I hit 25-27 when I'm going downhill from my house. I would always be worried if I tried to half ass it. $6-8 is pretty cheap insurance.

​​​​​​FWIW this is the pic of the rim and stem.....

The paint scratches are from me trying to to file the hole smooth.
Old 04-19-24, 08:54 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Rim tape is designed to go over the valve hole. I'd take that crap tape out and replace it with some good quality rim tape. That alone will give you some better protection.
Old 04-19-24, 10:19 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Aubergine
Rim tape is designed to go over the valve hole. I'd take that crap tape out and replace it with some good quality rim tape. That alone will give you some better protection.
I wondered about that, too. I thought it made more sense for the rim tape to go over/around the hole. Why is it crap tape? What should I use? Maybe for now I'll just use electrical tape or really hillbilly it up with a strip of duct tape!
Old 04-19-24, 10:32 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

I wondered about that, too. I thought it made more sense for the rim tape to go over/around the hole. Why is it crap tape? What should I use? Maybe for now I'll just use electrical tape or really hillbilly it up with a strip of duct tape!
it's crap tape mostly because it does not cover the hole! What I would do is go to a bike shop and look for Velox cloth tape, although your shop might offer other types. I would not recommend either electrical tape, which is too flexible to provide protection, or duct tape, which will be a mess if you ever need to remove it. I once used strapping tape and regretted it when I had to refurbish that wheel . . . . .
Old 04-19-24, 11:48 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,790 Posts

The paint scratches are from me trying to to file the hole smooth.
How is it possible to get scratches on the outside of the rim, so far away from the hole, when using round files to smooth the hole?
Old 04-19-24, 11:57 AM
soyabean

Easy.

A dancing drill bit.
Old 04-19-24, 12:38 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,790 Posts
Easy.

A dancing drill bit.
He states clearly that the scratches are from “filing.”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.