Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Yet another Eddy Merckx 7-11 vintage bike-just purchased today!!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Yet another Eddy Merckx 7-11 vintage bike-just purchased today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 06:02 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by joe englert
ok well, i didnt hear back for merckx yet, however i did notice that on the referral thread mentioned by ofg that one guy names slurpee (must be team 7-11 expert) said that the pro team bikes had the serial number preceeded by the letters a or b. i just went out to look at mine again and upon closer exam. the serial number has a c on top of the 1214. so i think that means mine is not a true team bike? oh well, i think ill keep the hampsten sticker on it anyway. im guessing that public production bikes had another letter such as "c" and then the serial number
Joe, did you read Aaron's post above? His serial started with a C as well. You cannot read too much into the serial, just wait to hear from the factory.
Old 12-20-10, 06:20 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
Joe, did you read Aaron's post above? His serial started with a C as well. You cannot read too much into the serial, just wait to hear from the factory.
Exactly - jumping to conclusions before all the evidence is in is never a good idea. I thought we had cured you of that.
Old 12-20-10, 07:37 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
I read every thread Mr. Englert initiate, and never get disappointed. But this one is really super!
Old 12-20-10, 07:57 PM
joe englert

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
well thank you much! sometimes i get yelled at (like picchio just did) i usually deserve it! ok, wont jump to conclusions yet. keep my fingers crossed and wait to see. still ,with that pump pet and no number hanger and the fact the serial number is "c" oh heck i still love it. however my girlfreind wont be kicked out tonight.....the merckx stays in its display area IN THE GARAGE
Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
I read every thread Mr. Englert initiate, and never get disappointed. But this one is really super!
Old 12-20-10, 08:02 PM
joe englert

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
no-dumb me - sorry ofg just read the one you referred to only. i see now that aarons is a "c" . very interesting indeed! this is getting more interesting by the hour. thanks again. joe
Old 12-20-10, 09:10 PM
joe englert

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
just noticed on the bb it has a "D" stamped in as well. if thats a date code, by jeremys calculations it would be 1993 or 94 but that wouldnt be right would it? i thought they were motorola at that time. this is getting strange. ps thats the entire bb stampage one side is 7TT on the other is a D on top than a C and then 1214. i know, i know, wait for merckx to let me know for sure. just thought id pass along the latest tid bits
Old 12-20-10, 09:36 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Joe, a good picture of the BB, both sides, showing both sets of numbers would be in order. Chalk is useful in filling in the numbers if they are faint.

Just sayin'
Old 12-20-10, 10:09 PM
joe englert

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
will do tommorow when its light out-as i dont have a flash.
Joe, a good picture of the BB, both sides, showing both sets of numbers would be in order. Chalk is useful in filling in the numbers if they are faint.

Just sayin'
Old 12-22-10, 09:34 AM
joe englert

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
well, i still havent heard from merckx factory or jeremy so i just thought of this...(more speculation). i remember seening a merckx cataloge (more like a pamphlet) from , maybe 92 or 93? that had the 7-11 bike in it. i remember the caption read something like...."though the 7-11 team may be over, merckx is putting out the 7-11 bike for one more year and this is your last chance to own one" . Now this was not the new replica they put out in the 2000s, this still had the tsx tubing, chrome and the 7-11 team decal. i bet mine is that one, come to think of it. they probably put their remaining name decals on those as well. does any one out their have one of those? any way, just a thought.
Old 01-01-11, 05:11 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Joe,
Any updates?
Old 01-01-11, 07:35 PM
joe englert

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
thanks smoore. no, i did email bruno at the merckx factory for a second time last week and got no reply. also no reply from another merckx expert who i was kindly referred to my a bf member. sorry i havent got a pic of the bb yet. been busy with other stuff but i will take one tommorow and post it. hope it will clear some stuff up about the provenance of the bike. i havent emailed mr hampsten, however, dont know how to get in touch with him or if he would even have time to check out the email. in the meantime, i am loving the ride and the looks of the bike. its fantastic.
Originally Posted by smoore
Joe,
Any updates?
Old 01-01-11, 10:11 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Hang in there...Merckx will get back.
Old 01-03-11, 05:18 PM
joe englert

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
NEWS FLASH ok, i sent a mssge to andy hampsten himself last week through his bike company-thanks for the reference on that- just sent me back a reply- well, not only did i send him the serial number etc. but i also sent some pics to him. he said that eddy merckx made him alot of frames (many many) and that he thought that this is probably the real deal!!! still havent heard back from the merckx factory but this is as good as it gets!!!! yay
Old 01-03-11, 05:19 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Originally Posted by joe englert
NEWS FLASH ok, i sent a mssge to andy hampsten himself last week through his bike company-thanks for the reference on that- just sent me back a reply- well, not only did i send him the serial number etc. but i also sent some pics to him. he said that eddy merckx made him alot of frames (many many) and that he thought that this is probably the real deal!!! still havent heard back from the merckx factory but this is as good as it gets!!!! yay
In trade for telling you to grab that sucker, I'll take the "bike to be named later."

Last edited by Picchio Special; 01-03-11 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 08:11 AM
smoore

Joe,
Have you ridden it yet? Do you find you're much faster on the hills now; residual Hampsten DNA left behind.

Last edited by smoore; 01-17-11 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-10-11, 08:15 AM
Picchio Special

Joe,
Have you ridden it yet? If you find you're much faster on the hills now; residual Hampsten DNA left behind.
Or if you find yourself faster in the snow.
Old 01-23-11, 11:05 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Well....I finally got myself down to University Bikes here in Boulder to take a picture of the bike but it turns out to be Davis Phinney's old bike instead. But, the trip wasn't wasted as Andy Hampsten's 'Giro' bike was there as well. Here's some photos. They were closing the shop so I didn't have much time and I have to admit that the photos are a bit disappointing. I get in there occasionally so if there are other details needed, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Couldn't find a serial # on the Giro bike and I was told it was made by Landshark. The Phinney bike had a serial # that started with A and then 4 digits.

Likes For Iowegian:
Old 01-23-11, 11:15 PM
afilado

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
You follow Joe, I follow you. And you are hilarious. Zoom!

J

Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
Old 01-24-11, 06:20 AM
smoore

Iowegian,
Thanks for the pics.

What's the deal with University Bicycles closing? Bummer.
Old 01-24-11, 06:45 AM
Picchio Special

Andy's '88 Giro bike was indeed built by John Slawta of Land Shark fame.
Old 01-24-11, 06:53 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,600 Times in 3,785 Posts
Iowegian,
Thanks for the pics.

What's the deal with University Bicycles closing? Bummer.
I read that as it was closing for the day, not forever.

Old 01-24-11, 11:27 AM
smoore

Originally Posted by cb400bill
I read that as it was closing for the day, not forever.
Ah, that is probably right. Not sure why my mind went to the more ominous assumption?
Old 01-26-20, 02:20 PM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Again, excavations, sorry, but it's a great story... The C1214 D7TT is a Corsa Extra TSX built in the spring of 1990. The fact that it is not a frame for Team 7 Eleven is evidenced by: in the 1990 season, the team frames had a different painting pattern, the team frames did not have the full "technical" mark. (left side BB cover) - full specification was stored in EMC and was always non-standard (mixing tube types and unusual dimensions were the norm). I would like to have such a bike - it is beautiful.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Likes For CyclesMakaron:
Old 01-27-20, 12:15 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Well, I'll have to tip off Joe about this new revelation (info from the factory?), even though Joe sold the bike some years ago (it was too big for him).

Joe has been riding 15k miles per year these last few years, and has been really going through modern bikes assembled by yours truly.

As for the C-Record Concorde (also since sold off) that was part of the original deal, I traded it to Joe for the Richard Moon that I still have.
I still have the Team Polti Coppi though, in it's full 1990's Team kit build including Spinergy wheels.

I have since acquired my own Merckx 7-11, chanced upon from a near-local who had apparently aged out of serious cycling. It's no Team bike and I bought it for rather little money.
I've since replaced the crank with a Chorus 10s double, and the rear derailer is now a svelte 7700 D-A double. I had the pleasure of riding the Dino Ride two summers ago on this bike alongside the greats like Harvey Nitz, George Mount and several other notable pro's from back in the 80's.

Likes For dddd:
Old 01-27-20, 09:55 AM
smoore

Wow..quite a resurrection of a thread. But thanks guys for the updates, nice to know the bikes are still out there being ridden and appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.