Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Night riding with coyotes.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Night riding with coyotes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-21, 01:05 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
This one was about 40 lbs.
Old 04-23-21, 01:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
This one was about 40 lbs.
That's really too small to be a lethal threat to adult humans, but I'm sure it could bite the hell out of you.
Old 04-23-21, 03:28 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Recently, I boiled a coyote skull clean.
I'm originally from a small town in Wisconsin where rugged outdoorsmanship was common, and this just sounds crazy to me. I'm dying!

No one else? Really?

Apologies to Pratt, but I just never expected to see this sentence on Bike Forums today.
Old 04-23-21, 04:05 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I was thinking more of when an animal was attacking me, in order to fight back. I wasn't thinking about the escaping part.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 04-23-21, 08:42 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
My understanding is that in large parts of the country, the coyotes are interbreeding with wolves and getting really big and strong. I saw one of these hybrids running across the highway in Londonderry NH and it was huge.
That is true of the eastern coyote. It is actually a coyote/wolf hybrid. We have them here in NE PA, but I've never seen one. Had a black bear on my patio once though. We have lots of bears here.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 04-23-21, 10:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
I live in the country about 20 miles from Seattle. Just about nightly the local coyote population serenade us, not more than 150 yards away. In 15 years have never seen one in the neighborhood or on the local trail which is rather amazing. Did see one about 1.5 miles from the house up on a mtn bike trail. We were about 300’ apart and he just stood there and checked me out until I left.

I was outside when a momma bear and two cubs walked across our front lawn and my wife saw a cougar about 100 yards from the house. Coyotes can be unbelievably stealthy.

Old 04-23-21, 10:08 PM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyB65
It’s going to be getting too hot for me to ride during the day soon and I want to start riding at night before bed time to help me sleep. Plus the full moon is coming up and I’ve always wanted to ride then. I’ve had to deal with dogs chasing me over the years and always managed to stop them by yelling commands.

I now live outside the city in the desert and we have lots of coyotes hunting at night so I’m not so sure if I can command them to stay away. I know they can take down a deer and I’ve been told that they can sense health weaknesses which worries me because I’m over 70 with health issues and can’t really move that fast. I’ve heard many stories about bike riders being chased by cougars and bears, but never heard anything about coyotes.

YESS SIR take them very seriously , and ignore anyone that says they are not a threat , they are wild animals they can and will attack , the issue usually is they interbreed with wolves and stray dogs and their puppies dont have that fear of humans , ive been dealing with a pack of 3 to 5 , i carry a 12 in knife and pepper spray every time now , because they caught me slipping once with my knife in my bag , i look back and i got like 5 closing and 2 flanking , CRAZY , been chased almost 6 times , 2 times having to chase them them down into some bushes ,
but thats why i say they are coydogs because i have never seen coyotes chase me , in over 10 years of going out at night , i have never seen this , reported it and the DEM will do nothing , so at some point because i cant shoot them if they continue their ambush tactics , im going to have to take one out , i usually say if you see coyotes then its not normal they are either desperate for food or hybrids , and in your old age i would at least carry some pepper spray or some mace , maybe a flare gun if you live in a city or town that doesn't allow for discharging of firearms , anything that can be deployed with one hand and from an easy to reach position while riding , i wish i could find some diy blank firing impact grenades , that would scare them off real quick , but def watch out , better safe than sorry , could be bears and Mlions too , you never know , we take our civil areas for granted
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 04-23-21, 11:33 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
People are the most dangerous critters, particularly the ones in motor vehicles. About a billion times more dangerous than a coyote. If you drive to the start of your ride, the car trip is far more dangerous than any coyote encounter. It's more likely you'll get salmonella poisoning from your after-ride meal than suffer a coyote attack. It's probably more likely you'll get depressed about your ride performance and commit suicide than be attacked by a coyote.

I planned a long solo night ride in the desert in west Texas a few years ago, and my friends warned me about night critters. I carried on. During the ride, my front wheel hit a piece of farm hardware just perfectly so it grabbed hold of the tire, rotated up, collected the fender stay, and folded the fender like an accordion. Finally it squished up against the fork and I came to a very abrupt stop. I had to spend a half-hour alone on a dark empty road in the desert, unfolding the fender enough so the tire would spin. Eventually I got things straightened out, and finished the 200k ride. The danger wasn't critters, the danger was a piece of hardware left lying in the road by some farmer. The odds of hitting that thing just perfectly, as I did, were pretty low, but still better than being attacked by a coyote.

People worry about the wrong things.
Old 04-24-21, 12:09 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
just gotta practice more.

Been there done that!!!

As kids we did a variation. https://www.bikeforums.net/20831053-post116.html
Old 04-24-21, 12:29 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
We have had coyotes and foxes in the Washington, DC Virginia suburbs for years. Not a big deal. They might follow us on a bike ride or a dog walk, but that was usually the kits or pups and mama would call and chase them back to her.

However since the pandemic and lockdowns, all the folks who previously went to their drab existences and lives of quiet anxiety at work, were now home to see all of this. l see lots of chatter on a local social media about it, but what is real foolish is the people who are now feeding them regularly since they are so "cute". The animals are losing their fear of coming to the back door, but are still real wary of people. People have been throwing out chicken bones for the foxes and the bones are carried by the foxes (and raccoons, crows, etc.) all over the place.

All the feeding has had a side effect which is a mini-baby boom of foxes which is exceeding the local prey animals. Additionally some of the coyotes are not pure coyotes, but coy-dogs, a dog/coyote hybrid. Fortunately, all the coyote sightings have been at night by using infrared game cameras, and some have even been caught with Ring doorbells napping on a porch at night. All the foxes and coyotes I have seen have been very healthy with great coats.
Old 04-24-21, 05:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-24-21, 06:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by downtube42
People are the most dangerous critters, particularly the ones in motor vehicles. About a billion times more dangerous than a coyote. If you drive to the start of your ride, the car trip is far more dangerous than any coyote encounter. It's more likely you'll get salmonella poisoning from your after-ride meal than suffer a coyote attack. It's probably more likely you'll get depressed about your ride performance and commit suicide than be attacked by a coyote.

I planned a long solo night ride in the desert in west Texas a few years ago, and my friends warned me about night critters. I carried on. During the ride, my front wheel hit a piece of farm hardware just perfectly so it grabbed hold of the tire, rotated up, collected the fender stay, and folded the fender like an accordion. Finally it squished up against the fork and I came to a very abrupt stop. I had to spend a half-hour alone on a dark empty road in the desert, unfolding the fender enough so the tire would spin. Eventually I got things straightened out, and finished the 200k ride. The danger wasn't critters, the danger was a piece of hardware left lying in the road by some farmer. The odds of hitting that thing just perfectly, as I did, were pretty low, but still better than being attacked by a coyote.

People worry about the wrong things.
I don't know (and neither do you) whether or not the likelihood of violent coyote encounter varies from place to place, we do know that coyote and human habitats are increasingly overlapped, so your probability statements are a bit silly. Wildlife encounters of all kinds are highly likely to occur if you're doing non-urban riding, so what's irrational about trying to sort out what kinds are likely to be threatening and preparing for them? And why is this in conflict with preparing yourself for bike-car encounters, etc.? It would probably be irrational for me to give much thought to a potential coyote encounter, but that's because I live and ride in places where coyotes are pretty rare. OP lives where they're much more common.

BTW, if someone does all of their riding off-road, it would be completely irrational not to "worry" more about drivers than wildlife encounters.

People worry too much about what other people should be worrying about.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-24-21, 08:22 AM
JohnnyB65

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
People are the most dangerous critters, particularly the ones in motor vehicles. About a billion times more dangerous than a coyote. .......................
I have had my share of bad or DUI drivers in motor vehicles and they certainly are a threat at night. I’ve been hit 3 times by cars while biking over my lifetime plus I don’t even remember how many times I’ve been run off the road. Once I was chased on foot a good ½ mile through the woods by a really pissed off driver. I was able to out run him, but my bike was gone when I got back to the road.
Old 04-24-21, 11:33 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
I have had my share of bad or DUI drivers in motor vehicles and they certainly are a threat at night. I’ve been hit 3 times by cars while biking over my lifetime plus I don’t even remember how many times I’ve been run off the road. Once I was chased on foot a good ½ mile through the woods by a really pissed off driver. I was able to out run him, but my bike was gone when I got back to the road.
Eventually one must ask the question: Is it them ...or me?
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 04-24-21, 02:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Hello. What’s this thread about? Dangerous critters while cycling?

Old 04-24-21, 10:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

More afraid of cougars//mtn lions. Woman biking killed 5 miles away summer before last. Most avoid people but... travel in pairs or more.

Old 04-25-21, 05:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rsbob
More afraid of cougars//mtn lions. Woman biking killed 5 miles away summer before last. Most avoid people but... travel in pairs or more.

Definitely, the mountain lion is the bigger threat, but I'm under the impression that if it were to attack you on a bike, it would be on top of you before you even knew it was there. Is that wrong?
Old 04-25-21, 11:16 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Definitely, the mountain lion is the bigger threat, but I'm under the impression that if it were to attack you on a bike, it would be on top of you before you even knew it was there. Is that wrong?
Not at all. They typically wil take you down from the back by going for the neck. Probably would only have a couple of seconds of terror before it was over.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-26-21, 12:22 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
A couple of years ago, there were coyotes attacking joggers in Frisco, TX.

Sixth Coyote Attack Reported in Frisco

Just a few weeks ago, I saw one during the day on the opposite side of the DFW airport fence.

That being said, attacks on people are still really rare. If you're moving at a good pace, you probably even have less to worry about.

The best thing you can do is ride with a buddy that you're faster than.
Old 04-26-21, 12:39 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
I don't get it. One death in 1986, of a 3yo snatched in the suburbs. Lightning kills more people. Hypothermia, heat exhaustion, hitting trees, falling down all kill more people. Pet dogs kill more people. Snake bites, tick bites, flesh eating bacteria. At least as many people - 1 - died of the bubonic plague in the US in that time period.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-26-21, 12:52 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BFisher
That is true of the eastern coyote. It is actually a coyote/wolf hybrid. We have them here in NE PA, but I've never seen one. Had a black bear on my patio once though. We have lots of bears here.
The last time I rode down the Delaware (2018) from Pt. Jervis, NY I was camping in Worthington State Forest, on the NJ side of the river, across from PA. It's not that far above Delaware Water Gap, PA. As I was riding back to my site after taking a shower when a young cub came up from the river and crossed the campground road maybe 20' ahead of me. It had definitely been born that spring. I was tired and first thought I was seeing the world's largest groundhog. Fully expected to see mom come up the bank behind it, but that did not happen, which made me both sad and nervous. Maybe she was ahead of the cub and I had just missed seeing her. And of course, it was then time to start cooking dinner, which included sauteed garlic and shallot. I kept my head on a swivel.
Old 04-26-21, 01:51 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I’ve heard many stories about bike riders being chased by cougars.
Sadly, they don't chase me anymore.
Old 04-26-21, 02:24 PM
Vaughan51

Bikes: Mountain Goat Escape Goat, Rocky Mountain Edge, Salsa Fargo Kona Libre

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I live in the foothills so regularly see coyotes, wolves, bears. They typically don't bother you but that said check with your local wildlife officers to see the population overall health - if they have mange or something then they can get pretty aggressive. Coyotes to take down bigger game like deer typically do that in groups of 4 or more. A single just isn't strong or big enough to do the job.

When I was mountain biking in Big Ben National Park I was worried more about rattle snakes coming out onto the warm asphalt at night and skunks. But then again I have a snake phobia (LOL)
Old 04-26-21, 02:54 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Electronic high frequency.

Carry ultra high frequency dog stopper. Coyoties are basically dogs and dogs are repulsed by high frequency repulsers, the sound that they can hear makes dogs stay away. We used them to repulse highly aggressive dogs when we had to enter a non-paying customers backyard to remove the gas meter. Riding by moonlight you need to be careful not to run over an unseen rattlesnake on the asphalt, like I did. CAUTION: Before getting on your bike see how the High frequency generator affects your balance etc, humans generally can't hear the sound but it really bothered a co-worker who had a hangover.

Last edited by yukiinu; 04-26-21 at 05:24 PM.
Likes For yukiinu:
Old 04-26-21, 03:05 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Vaughan51
When I was mountain biking in Big Ben National Park I was worried more about rattle snakes coming out onto the warm asphalt at night and skunks. But then again I have a snake phobia (LOL)
Rattlers will do that. I’ve seen a couple on a trail in PA taking advantage of the afternoon sun that had warmed the surface. One I rode right by without noticing it, then my partner said something. Went back for a look at it was a young one but old enough to have a rattle. Closer to the end of the Mickelson Trail in SD there is a sign warning people to stay on the trail because of rattlers in the grass. I heeded the warning.

Skunks are usually harmless unless threatened. If you’re concerned just move out of its vision range, which is only about 10’. It’s believed to be a possible reason you see so much skunk roadkill.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-26-21 at 03:09 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.