Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Philly transit strike bike race.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-05, 07:34 AM
tom cotter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Philadelphia PA is experiencing a transit strike. Give a loud round of applause to the Bicycle Coalition of Philadelphia for using the strike to promote the benefits of bicycling. For the first 3 days of the strike the Philly coalition has hit the press with stories or events. Yesterday they staged a race from West Philadelphia to Center City to promote the benefits of commuting by bicycle. The distance is about 15 blocks. The participants, one cab, one driver in a car, and one bicyclist. The cyclist was wearing business clothes and was riding a folder. The results: the cab finished first at 14 minutes at a cost of $9 not counting tip. The bike finished second, running the route in 16 minutes, at zero trip cost. The car lagged behind at 22 minutes and then needed to find a center city parking space at a minimum cost of $21.

The coalition was disappointed that the bicycle didn't win overall, but those Philly cab drivers stop for nothing. The car was probably closer to what a an everyday driver would accomplish time wise.The news report I watched made the bicyclist out as the clear winner, arriving in center city non winded, only two minutes behind speed racer the cab driver, and with the contents of his wallet undisurbed.

I drive into Philly every business day, and this got my attention. My monthly cost to drive into the city including cost to park, tolls, gas, wear and tear on the car is about $500. HMMM! Maybe I could ride my bike to the Hi Speed Line and save about $400 a month!
Old 11-03-05, 02:27 PM
jakemoffatt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool man
yah round here takes me usually less time to get to work by bike if i go in around 8:00.
the 5:00 rush home also is way faster by bike. lately traffic backs up for 20 minutes just to go 2 miles.
shame everyone just accepts it and acts like its normal to wait that long to drive home.
Old 11-04-05, 06:48 PM
bikebugmenot
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
beat the strike, buy a bike!
i just bought my very first road bike because of this.
Old 11-05-05, 02:32 PM
phillydcbiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some friends that are walking insanely long distances. One friend has walked 44 blocks (each way) all week. I haven't entertained the idea of a bike, but any bike would be better than walking.