Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

creaking, popping, and hair pulling

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 06:08 PM
cinemattic
Business Man

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, Soma Rush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so, i got a little riddle for you guys. if this is better suited in the mechanics section, then so be it..

i recently got my Affinity Lo Pro. I.Love.It. the only problem is, there is a heinous creak and pop that happens.

here is the scenario. i will be stopped at a light. i usually have my right foot high, about the 1230 1 o'clock position ready to start out. that goes around, then i hop my left foot on and go. however, when i go, i get this crunch when my left foot reaches the 9 o'clock position. i can hear it and somewhat feel it. it's pretty loud, and happens when i'm backpedalling a bit. but all this usually happens when i'm starting out.

i've taken it back to affinity about 4x now, and they still can't figure out the problem. i've had them completely take apart the drive train, regrease the cranks (omniums), regreas the chainring bolts (stock omnium bolts), regrease the pedals (odyssey platforms, and yes i have the washer in there), replace a problem part of the chain (KMC Kool chain). i have watched them crank down on the bottom bracket, and torque the cranks. however, when the situation i explain happens, i get this creaking and popping feeling.

besides the drivetrain, i've also regreased the headset and stem. the only thing i can think of now is redoing the seatpost and possibly greasing the handlebars where they meet the stem.

affinity is stumped

any suggestions?
Old 08-19-11, 06:23 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
My Omniums did pretty much the same thing you're describing and it happened randomly (usually while backpedalling) but I couldn't seem to make it happen when I tried. I must have removed/cleaned/regreased/reinstalled them on a daily basis for a week and I began thinking something must be up with my chain so on went a new chain. Noise still there. Decided to give it one more go, took everything apart, reinstalled and for whatever reason they're finally silent.

I'm still baffled.
Old 08-19-11, 07:05 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Instructions for solving your problem:

1) Remove Omnomnomnoms and discard.

2) Install any non-bogus premium crank such as Dura Ace, Campy Record, Sugino 75 etc.

3) Enjoy.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-19-11, 07:06 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I knew TT would be along to say something along those lines.
Old 08-19-11, 08:28 PM
evilcryalotmore
モㄥ工匕モ 爪モ爪乃モ尺

Bikes: Custom frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL win. If you can replace the cranks; IE: if they are new from the store. could be defective?
Old 08-20-11, 02:43 AM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
My damn Kilo makes some stupid creaking noise. I stopped giving a crap and it went away (my brain learned how to tune it out).
Old 08-20-11, 07:10 AM
cinemattic
Business Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaytron
My damn Kilo makes some stupid creaking noise. I stopped giving a crap and it went away (my brain learned how to tune it out).
i would LOVE to stop giving a crap, but the problem is, is that i can feel this popping and creaking, mainly in my left leg. if it was just a noise it wouldn't be a big deal. there are plenty of other noises going on that would distract me. however it's cause i can feel the popping is what's worrying me.

Originally Posted by evilcryalotmore
LOL win. If you can replace the cranks; IE: if they are new from the store. could be defective?
they're an online buy, and from many many months ago. i doubt a return would be possible. maybe i should go along with what TT says and just save up for some uber-premium cranks....

...for street riding.....

in any case, i'm gonna try replacing the chain, and then invest in a BB tool and start pulling the damn thing out myself and throwing grease at it, if this is the general consensus
Old 08-21-11, 09:56 AM
cinemattic
Business Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you guys think that if i just buy a new GXP bb from like, amazon or someplace that it would possibly help cure the creak? or just re-chain and lube it all up over and over?
Old 08-21-11, 10:05 AM
RenzSouljohnson
No Excuses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what if it's a defective ball bearing in your Bottom bracket that's just rolling screwy in its cartridge
Old 08-21-11, 10:18 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
External BB's are an inherently flawed design, because the bearings are eccentric to the threading in the BB shell in the frame. They cause the BB to be constantly pried cyclically against the BB threads, causing them to get loose and creak. Sometimes they even cause damage to the frame, particularly aluminum and cf frames, as the cyclic fatigue stresses cause cracks. The best design is the internal BB with a splined interface, such as the Dura Ace.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-21-11, 10:19 AM
cinemattic
Business Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's what i'm thinking. i've just heard such awesome things about outboard bearings and all and how they're so tough. didn't know if this was a valid problem or not....
Old 08-21-11, 10:20 AM
cinemattic
Business Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
External BB's are an inherently flawed design, because the bearings are eccentric to the threading in the BB shell in the frame. They cause the BB to be constantly pried cyclically against the BB threads, causing them to get loose and creak. Sometimes they even cause damage to the frame, particularly aluminum and cf frames, as the cyclic fatigue stresses cause cracks. The best design is the internal BB with a splined interface, such as the Dura Ace.
interesting... interesting...

well, i'm watching some stuff come up on ebay. we'll see what happens i guess.
Old 08-21-11, 01:49 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Had the same problem and basically had the same method in 'fixing' it it as scrod. Finally my noise issues are gone and I have no idea what finally did it, since it was an entire removal and regreasing of everything that appeared to have solved it
Old 08-25-11, 05:42 AM
cinemattic
Business Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, i think i may have found my problem. last night, decided to recheck my chainring and recenter it. took out the chainring bolts, relubed em, followed sheldon's advice on centering a chainring, and now i am squeak-free. super weird. those bolts were tight and greased up before, but now that i PERSONALLY did them, the sounds and feelings are gone. super weird.

well, anyway, thanks for the help guys, and if the sounds come up again i'll be sure to let ya know.. haha