Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Clipless Cage Match: Shimano M540 vs. M520

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 11:19 AM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[Two men enter, one man leaves.]

All the recent debate has inspired me to go clipless. (That and Nashbar's current 20%-off sale.) I'm tempted by the eggbeaters, but 1) it's a much higher pricepoint, and 2) they look too delicate for someone as casually clumsy as I am.

So it's down to these two.

This is the description of the M540: This pedal from Shimano is designed with a mud shedding, open binding for easier cleat engagement and release. Cro-Moly axle with 8mm Allen wrench mount. Sealed bearings. Grey/silver. 350g. $75 at Nashbar.

This is the description of the M520: A very affordable, lightweight design with an easy step in cleat retention system. Adjustable spring tension top and bottom. Cro-Moly axle with sealed bearings. Black and silver. 376g. $39 at Nashbar.

Apart from $35 and 26 grams, what is the difference?
Old 07-13-06, 11:48 AM
lyledriver
Electrical Hazard

Bikes: a bunch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The colour as well.

I've got the M540s.
They're actually my second set, as the first set had a defective bearing.

Don't let the product literature fool you, it says 'sealed cartridge axle' for the 540s, but that just means its looseball, with a dust seal.
Old 07-13-06, 11:53 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know. Don't care. What I do know is that my M520s work fine.
Old 07-13-06, 12:25 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Only $60
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

They are by no means fragile. Mine have taken a ton of abuse.
Old 07-13-06, 01:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
I've use the 520's since they came out. I have 5 or 6 different sets on mountain bikes and road bikes and they stand up to everything even hard core mountain biking. I haven't had one fail yet but then I've only ever broken one pedal anyway

The major difference, aside from finish, is that the 540's can't be put on with a regular wrench but have to be put on with an 8mm allen wrench. That, by itself, is enough to put me off from using them. Every tried to take off a pedal using an 8mm allen on the back side of the pedal? It ain't pretty!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-13-06, 01:09 PM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Apart from $35 and 26 grams, what is the difference?
Not much. You can see how the 540 can't be mounted with a 15mm pedal wrenc cuz it has a different axle. An allen crank puller works, though.

Some say that the 540 has a mechanism like the XTR, not like the cheaper 520... I'm not seeing a difference btw 520 and 540.

I'd get the 520. I'm sure the bearings/mechanism/materials are marginally better on the 540, but it's not worth $36 more, I think.
Old 07-13-06, 02:10 PM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought these not too long ago and they are really nice. Made by Wellgo, 295g. True SPD compatibility (98A cleat), which is a requirement because I've got diff SPD pedals on diff bikes. Excellent looking, sleek pedal.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=5240#
Old 07-13-06, 02:43 PM
nitroRoo

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cake 3dlx, GT Force

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had the 520s on my mtb for about 8 months. They've stood up to plenty of off road abuse and work fine. I'm still on platforms for my commuter though...
Old 07-13-06, 02:52 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 540s are a little lighter and the bearings are nicer. They feel great when you give them a spin and they just go and go. In practice, I doubt you will feel the difference. The binding mechanism is the same. The 520s (and likely the 540s) scuff fairly easily.

The Eggbeaters are anything but delicate. They are very solid pedals.
Old 07-13-06, 03:17 PM
superted

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the 540s and they are great, the bearings are of a higher quality than the 520s but as has been said, i think its unlikely that you'll notice the difference.
Old 07-13-06, 03:45 PM
loki_1
Cyclic Lurker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the A520 on my commuter. spd cleat with a patform. very comfortable. $55 on ebay.

I run the M540 on my mtn bike. Never had a problem removing them with an allen wrench.
Old 07-13-06, 03:54 PM
CHenry

Bikes: A bunch

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of each. Both are nice. Both work fine. The advantage of the M520s is that they free up $60 to buy something else.
Old 07-13-06, 03:55 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 540s on one of my bikes, and they are the best set of the pedals that I have - although that is not saying much. I have M424s on one bike, and because of the platform, they do not work with my new PI Vapor shoes - although they do work with the older PI Vapors.
Old 07-13-06, 04:50 PM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your help. If only I took this much care in all my life decisions....

Here's a can of worms: good shoes? How about those Adidas sneaker-looking things?
Old 07-13-06, 06:51 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flipped4bikes
Don't know. Don't care. What I do know is that my M520s work fine.
Ditto. Use 'em on my 'cross bike. Cheap, effective, reliable.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 09-28-16, 09:17 AM
eider.oliveira

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
M520 lasts less

The M520 I bought for $28 at amazon started do 'click' after less than 2 months of use. M540 seems sturdier.
Old 09-28-16, 09:44 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by eider.oliveira
The M520 I bought for $28 at amazon started do 'click' after less than 2 months of use. M540 seems sturdier.
I suggest you return them if they are still under warranty. Or have a mechanic check them to see if you've left something loose.

You should know that you have revived a ten-year-old thread. That seems OK, since both pedals appear still to be in production by my googling.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-28-16, 11:33 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There's no real difference, go for the 520s and spend the left over cash on beer.
Old 01-02-20, 10:14 AM
Zurichman2

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I know this is a 2006 thread but I have a ? on the Shimano pedals. I had a set of PD-M540 put on my gravel bike 2 years ago. Probably less than a 1000 miles on them with no hard core mt. biking on them. The one has a bind in it already and guessing the bearing is gone in it. My LBS would probably charge me $40 - $50 to replace the bearing. Not worth it. Curious if the new PD-M9100 is just that much better of a pedal for over $100. I see I would only be saving about an ounce of weight. Would these pedals be under warranty?

Thanks
Zman
Old 06-20-21, 11:07 AM
Jack Kessler

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
540 vs 520 Explained

First one has to recognize that L and R pedals have opposite threads, not just on Shimano, but on all pedals. This was invented by Orville Wright to keep pedals from unscrewing themselves by precession. Second, recognize that crank arms are soft alloy while pedal shafts are hard steel. Which means that, with a little extra force, easily available with a wrench, one can strip the hell out of the crank arm threads with the 520's by turning them the wrong direction. On the 540's, without a place for a wrench, the only way to turn a pedal is with an Allen wrench from the back. Which allows too little leverage to easily strip the crank arm threads. Which means the 520's can easily strip crank arm threads and the 540's really cannot (unless one has Mighty Joe Young gorilla hands).

520's and 540's are almost identical except for a few grams and the risk of stripping the crank arm threads and stranding oneself deep in the boondocks. A moment's carelessness, or a green bike shop mech being clueless, can really ruin your day with the 520's, not with the 540's.

Last edited by Jack Kessler; 06-20-21 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-21-21, 09:37 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 488 Posts
M520 uses the older spindle with the plastic sleeve that requires a special tool and can click due to the plastic wearing. M540 uses the newer spindle that is serviceable with an adjustable wrench.

used to be included, now costs $3
Old 06-28-21, 04:57 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Kessler
First one has to recognize that L and R pedals have opposite threads, not just on Shimano, but on all pedals. This was invented by Orville Wright to keep pedals from unscrewing themselves by precession. Second, recognize that crank arms are soft alloy while pedal shafts are hard steel. Which means that, with a little extra force, easily available with a wrench, one can strip the hell out of the crank arm threads with the 520's by turning them the wrong direction. On the 540's, without a place for a wrench, the only way to turn a pedal is with an Allen wrench from the back. Which allows too little leverage to easily strip the crank arm threads. Which means the 520's can easily strip crank arm threads and the 540's really cannot (unless one has Mighty Joe Young gorilla hands).

520's and 540's are almost identical except for a few grams and the risk of stripping the crank arm threads and stranding oneself deep in the boondocks. A moment's carelessness, or a green bike shop mech being clueless, can really ruin your day with the 520's, not with the 540's.
I have a honking big 15mm pedal wrench by Park Tools and even if I jumped on it from 3' height I would not destroy the crank-arm threads! There are a lot of threads engaged when the pedal axle is properly seated and unless the pedal is badly crossthreaded, the combination of lots of fine threads and hard alloys means ordinary human efforts will not be enough to strip threads.

Be at peace. Cheap out on the 520's in good conscience. I've never felt the need to justify them in any way. That being said, I have a pair of Crank Bros. Eggbeater pedals that use an 8mm Allen wrench for installation. I would not be as dismissive as you are about the strength of 8mm Allen wrenches. Why do so many high end pedal models use them?

A final pro tip before I go: It is not necessary (as many seem to believe) to tighten pedals with Magilla Gorilla level forces. Hand tight is more than good enough because pedals are designed to be self tightening in use! When I am working on a project bike and auditioning components, I will often install the pedals just finger tight and go for a test ride. This makes for easy swapping in the field while I try different things out. FWIW.