Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear dropout adjustment screws - orientation?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-12, 09:37 AM
kcash

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm planning on putting some adjustment screws in my rear horizontal dropouts. My question is: does the Phillips screw side (the end on the left of the picture) go on the inside of the dropouts or the outside? If they are on the inside, I suppose I would need to use some thread-locking stuff on the caps (right side of the picture) so that I could use them to make some adjustments.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20120914_091803.jpg (110.3 KB, 279 views)
Old 09-14-12, 09:57 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
They're designed to be threaded in from the inside of the dropout slot, and out the back. Then you add the knurled nut as a finger adjustment aid.

The spring stays on the screw when you thread it, so it ends up on the part in the slot.

BTW- the best way to get the knurled nut tight enough is to put a wheel in, so the screw can't move and force the nut a bit.

Here's a trick from back when these were in common use. Once you have the wheel set where you like it, either cut the remaining screw off flush, or at least shorten it so the nut only has a bit of room between it and the dropout. This lessens the chances of the screw getting bent accidentally. Trying to remove a bent screw,(even slightly bent) is the number one way folks break the screws off in side, and/or strip the dropout.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-15-12, 02:24 PM
kcash

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll try to avoid getting the screws bent.
Old 09-15-12, 03:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by kcash
Thanks for the tips. I'll try to avoid getting the screws bent.
That's almost impossible, so reconcile yourself to it. Just remember to move the screw backward so you can cut off the bend, before trying to remove it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-17-12, 03:46 AM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
They're designed to be threaded in from the inside of the dropout slot, and out the back. Then you add the knurled nut as a finger adjustment aid.
You know, I've never understood this. If adjusting with the knurled nut, you'd only be able to move the adjusters further in toward the BB; trying to move them away just unscrews the nut. Then you have to take the wheel out and awkwardly use a screwdriver to adjust them, IF the head of the screw hasn't been deformed by banging the axle against it when a wheel is inserted.

It makes a million times more sense to put the Phillips end on the outside, and the knurled nut on the inside. I can't help but think that the "right way" was a mistake fifty years ago and somehow stuck.
Old 09-17-12, 04:15 AM
Mark Kelly 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In theory maybe but in practice it works fine as long as there is some lubricant or antiseize on the dropout thread.

As FB says above, the trick is to "set" the screw head by tightening it against the axle. A drop of loctite medium strength doesn't go astray either.
Old 07-23-21, 09:07 AM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pmt
You know, I've never understood this. If adjusting with the knurled nut, you'd only be able to move the adjusters further in toward the BB; trying to move them away just unscrews the nut. Then you have to take the wheel out and awkwardly use a screwdriver to adjust them, IF the head of the screw hasn't been deformed by banging the axle against it when a wheel is inserted.

It makes a million times more sense to put the Phillips end on the outside, and the knurled nut on the inside. I can't help but think that the "right way" was a mistake fifty years ago and somehow stuck.
I agree. And doing it the "wrong way", is there any need for the knurled nut?
Old 07-23-21, 11:10 AM
pmt
Experienced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnlink
I agree. And doing it the "wrong way", is there any need for the knurled nut?
It's probably better to have the knurled nut against the axle than just the end of the machine screw.
Old 07-23-21, 11:29 AM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pmt
It's probably better to have the knurled nut against the axle than just the end of the machine screw.
I think that's right. I just installed the rear-dropout adjustment screws including the knurled nut the “wrong way”.
Old 07-23-21, 04:01 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
These were designed to have the knurled nut on the outside making the screws easier to turn. You don't need bullet proof ends against the axle as it only serves as a stop when mounting the wheel and it's job is done once the quick release/axle nuts are tightened. You certainly could reverse the screws with no issues but it's just easier to twist the knurled part by hand. And use grease or anti-seize on the threads and give them a few turns every year or so to keep them from corroding and getting stuck in the dropout threads.
Old 07-23-21, 04:28 PM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think that's right. I just installed the rear-dropout adjustment screws including the knurled nut the “wrong way”.
I changed my mind and reinstalled the screws the usual way.
Old 07-24-21, 05:02 AM
pmt
Experienced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I changed my mind and reinstalled the screws the usual way.
Well that's too bad. I can't think of a single situation in mechanics where something is continually impacted against a small screw head; that simply doesn't make any sense. It also makes no sense to have to remove the wheel to adjust them if they gets a little stuck, and we all know they will get a little stuck over time, since the vast majority of bike owners aren't going to do maintenance on those screws on a regular basis.

Unless someone can find the original history of those dropout screws, I think we can be assured that some Pro back in oldyn tymes installed them incorrectly (with the screw heads on the inside of the dropouts) and the fanbois followed suit, making it the mechanically incorrect standard. Maybe the Pro thought it looked better or cleaner, and didn't care that it was mechanically silly to have it that way.
Old 07-24-21, 06:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by pmt
I can't think of a single situation in mechanics where something is continually impacted against a small screw head; that simply doesn't make any sense.
Well, it's not "continually impacted." Once the hub axle abuts the bolt end, it is secured in place by the quick release. If the QR is loose enough to allow continual impacts, the wheel would not be secure in the dropouts. I have dropouts with adjuster bolts installed in that manner that are going on half a century of use, and they're still in fine shape.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-25-21, 12:02 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Fanbois, Grand Bois

Originally Posted by pmt
It also makes no sense to have to remove the wheel to adjust them if they gets a little stuck, and we all know they will get a little stuck over time, since the vast majority of bike owners aren't going to do maintenance on those screws on a regular basis.
I maintain the dropout screws regularly, every thirty years. I took them out of the dropouts for the first time this year to make a little more space for a larger tire at the chain stay bridge. They came right out. Later I put the screws back in, after greasing them. No issues. I restored the nubs on the outer ends, tightly. And for the first time, I realized that I could adjust the screws from the outside of the dropout with the nubs. A revelation!

Unless someone can find the original history of those dropout screws, I think we can be assured that some Pro back in oldyn tymes installed them incorrectly (with the screw heads on the inside of the dropouts) and the fanbois followed suit, making it the mechanically incorrect standard. Maybe the Pro thought it looked better or cleaner, and didn't care that it was mechanically silly to have it that way.
I'm sure that your theory is correct. Some old Italian probably, maybe his name was Tullio.

He looks pretty pissed off about this.

Fanbois, is that French? Pronounced fan-BWAH? Have a nice day.
Old 07-25-21, 01:29 PM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I'm sure that your theory is correct. Some old Italian probably, maybe his name was Tullio.

He looks pretty pissed off about this.
Which way does Tullio think they ought to go?
Old 07-25-21, 01:33 PM
johnlink

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Which would do a better job of protecting the threads of the axle, the smooth surface of the knurled knob, or the less smooth surface of the screw head?
Old 07-25-21, 02:55 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Which would do a better job of protecting the threads of the axle, the smooth surface of the knurled knob, or the less smooth surface of the screw head?
I'd say they're both about the same for the job the screws do. Again....once you've positioned your wheel against the screws and clamp the quick release the screws job is done and provides no other function so there is no banging on the axle threads. I rode bikes with adjustable dropouts for 30 years and worked on many others and never came across a bike with dinged up axle threads from these and maybe only once or twice were the screws mounted backwards (knurled heads in the dropouts) by inexperienced owners. One advantage of the screws is that if your wheel or frame got bent in the middle of a ride you can adjust the droupouts so the wheel doesn't rub the frame with the wheel in place so you know how far to adjust it. Try that with the slotted screw end outwards and bare fingers. I also can't remember this ever being debated but if anyone wants to mount the screws backwards I doubt it will hurt anything or anyone will notice either.
Old 07-28-21, 07:04 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Which way does Tullio think they ought to go?
Well, from early Campagnolo catalogs, it appears that the head of the bolt goes inside the slot:
Attached Images
12-gransport.jpg (100.2 KB, 44 views)
13-gransport.jpg (42.1 KB, 44 views)
17-record.jpg (24.9 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 07-28-21 at 07:11 AM.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-29-21, 06:13 AM
pmt
Experienced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Well, from early Campagnolo catalogs, it appears that the head of the bolt goes inside the slot:
That settles it! The Campagnolo catalog is about an authoritative reference as there could be.

Still doesn't make any sense mechanically, but since we can see what the originators intended, so be it.
Old 07-29-21, 09:45 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by pmt
That settles it! The Campagnolo catalog is about an authoritative reference as there could be.

Still doesn't make any sense mechanically, but since we can see what the originators intended, so be it.
If the diameter of the knurled knob is greater than the thickness of the dropout you might not be able to properly tighten the quick release