Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Columbus MS mystery bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Columbus MS mystery bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-22, 01:40 AM
masispecial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
I will have to be careful reinstalling the headset. Maybe I should square up the end of the steerer? Not sure how though.
Use a file and a small carpenters square, or thread a sacrificial headset cup on and file the thread down to the flat of the cup.

I think you most likely have a Quillon built frame that was originally branded Krapf. Possibly it was originally supplied with a different fork, which suffered some sort of mishap.
Likes For masispecial:
Old 11-06-22, 02:04 AM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
I think this fork is a replacement.
It has been cut very wonky. The threaded section is shorter than usual and there's no keyed part.
Would you expect campagnolo dropouts with campagnolo fork ends?
I'm not sure if the style matches either.

This is a shame because I was quite keen on having KRAPF decals.

Those teardrop cutouts in the fork crown tang are a tell-tale sign of Losa's work. The fork is definitely a replacement since even the fillet brazed Krapf bikes had a matching uncrown fork and not the one like this.

Hopefully you get confirmation from Krapf, one way or the other. Whether it was originally badged Krapf or Geliano or something else, you still have a nicely made frame.
Old 11-08-22, 05:01 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
Those teardrop cutouts in the fork crown tang are a tell-tale sign of Losa's work. The fork is definitely a replacement since even the fillet brazed Krapf bikes had a matching uncrown fork and not the one like this.

Hopefully you get confirmation from Krapf, one way or the other. Whether it was originally badged Krapf or Geliano or something else, you still have a nicely made frame.
Cool thanks. And for sure.
Old 11-08-22, 05:02 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

hmmm. Not sure how to read into this. I may take it as official authorization to put krapf decals on

Last edited by Soody; 11-08-22 at 05:11 AM.
Likes For Soody:
Old 07-19-23, 07:15 AM
Soody

discovered a crack in the 25.0 campagnolo seatpost
thanks to 1simplexnut for supplying a replacement in this rare size
this one has been taken down with a lathe (or sandpaper?) from 25.4, but maybe a bit enthusiastically

It had a bit of play and needed to be mega tightened
a beer can shim is a good fix

Likes For Soody:
Old 07-19-23, 08:49 AM
Soody

Last edited by Soody; 07-19-23 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For Soody:
Old 07-19-23, 11:59 PM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
Brake cable came out easily? Gorgeous frame btw.
Old 07-20-23, 12:09 AM
Soody

Originally Posted by CMAW
Brake cable came out easily? Gorgeous frame btw.
No there was a fight
Old 08-08-23, 02:28 AM
Soody

finished kinda
this thing rides -awesome-

Frame has been turtle waxed, and fork polished with autosol.

Last edited by Soody; 08-09-23 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-09-23, 08:29 PM
Soody

Rode it for a few hours last night on wet roads.
It's got a beautiful plush ride.
Comfortable and stable but still feels fast/ nimble.
Climbs well. Descends well. Braking is excellent. Shifting is excellent.

The 50-34 12-34 9 speed gears are just about perfect. I did some pretty steep climbs and you can just relax in that low gear.
I put the 12t cog on so it has the 12-13t shift at the top. The Ultegra long cage mech shifts it fine with the b-screw flipped around. I tried 12-36 first but that was a bridge too far.
I think with a current gen groupset you'd get the same spread, plus closer steps, but this is not losing out much.

I stole the wheels off a low mileage old Klein. The tricolour 8 speed hubs are absolutely mint, and with some fresh grease they just hum along.

I got the 27mm (26 mounted) Challenge Paris Roubaix pro tires new, but they had sat for a year or more, as a deal with another set (30s), and some veloflex masters.
What an absolute nightmare to get them mounted. They're not even in the shape of tires. Getting one bead on was a struggle and multiple punctures in the trying. Now they've stretched some and taken shape, manageable. And they have improved after some wear.
The ride is butter smooth. They feel like a much wider tire. I broke traction on the rear twice, one was climbing out of the saddle up a steep hill on some wet paint, another time it hopped out on some badly regulated braking. The grip feels pretty good.
I like em.

The TI flite flexes more than you'd think it would, which is actually quite nice, there's a suspension effect going on there.
Long stem and short reach compacts is ugly, no doubt, but it's a comfortable combination, and the drops are high enough to spend decent time there.

Likes For Soody:
Old 08-09-23, 08:35 PM
Soody

Portland Design Works Owl Cage. (got it with a box of other stuff from a closed down bike store).

Think i might get a Paper Roads Aotearoa bag made for it, to break up the red some more. The red really is pretty obnoxious. Any ideas about colours?
And clipless.
Then it's ready for some serious rides.
Likes For Soody:
Old 08-09-23, 09:12 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts

Which volcano is that !

I was thinking the frame itself could do with some decals to break up the red ?
How about Mystère ??

I had some black vinyl stuff made by a signwriter a few years ago for something similar .
Was not expensive and when I was sick of them I just peeled them off. (no clear over top of course )

Glad the seat post is holding up .
I have a new one here if you need it
Old 08-09-23, 09:21 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
Which volcano is that !

I was thinking the frame itself could do with some decals to break up the red ?
How about Mystère ??

I had some black vinyl stuff made by a signwriter a few years ago for something similar .
Was not expensive and when I was sick of them I just peeled them off. (no clear over top of course )

Glad the seat post is holding up .
I have a new one here if you need it
Mt Eden. They've just opened the top again after a renovation to make it more pedestrian friendly. It's quite lovely what they've done.
They've also added anti-cycle speed bumps so you have to ride the brakes all the way down now.
I rode Ayr street as well. Nice short climb.

Decals is a good idea.
I like Mystère
Was also thinking 'KRAPF' has a nice ring to it.
Or if i found some Healing, Morrison, Avanti or other ****terè decals chuck em on.