Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Canyon v Specialized *endurance*

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Canyon v Specialized *endurance*

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 04:29 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer

32 mm are still pretty narrow by gravel standards. Though my Trek Domane endurance bike, will go up to 38 mm. Of course it all depends on just how rough the surface is. But as I mentioned earlier, you also get lower gearing with a gravel bike, which is something the OP was interested in.
That was my point. A dedicated gravel bike makes sense if you are going to be regularly running 40 mm tyres, but not so much if 32 mm is wide enough for all your roads.

I agree that lower gravel gearing could be useful if the OP considers modern compact road gearing is still too high. But for most road riders a 1:1 lowest gear is low enough.
Old 10-12-23, 09:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Warranty work with Canyon bikes requires you shipping the bike back to them. That was a non-starter for me. People have posted about problems with their Canyon bikes and having to take them apart and ship them back and I prefer to deal with a local bike shop business instead. I always support local businesses with their local employees over corporations.
Warranty work has to be one of the least important factors when I consider buying a frame. Doubly so since I have never purchased a new full bike. Not gonna get much warranty support that route. And it has yet to burn me. Can't say I am concerned it will burn me in the near future either.

No warranty for used frames, the frames I've bought new had warranties I'm sure, but I certainly never looked at them, and if a component breaks I'll just buy a replacement rather than take time to register the initial purchase and fight over a replacement.

...but I don't have an electronic shifting drivetrain or carbon frames that are poorly designed or manufactured to the point of being out of tolerance or cables that wear away a steerer.

As for your pride in shopping local, cool. You do realize that there are a lot of brands that aren't local and also not large corporations, right? It doesn't need to be one or the other.
Old 10-13-23, 02:56 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Warranty work has to be one of the least important factors when I consider buying a frame. Doubly so since I have never purchased a new full bike. Not gonna get much warranty support that route. And it has yet to burn me. Can't say I am concerned it will burn me in the near future either.

No warranty for used frames, the frames I've bought new had warranties I'm sure, but I certainly never looked at them, and if a component breaks I'll just buy a replacement rather than take time to register the initial purchase and fight over a replacement.

...but I don't have an electronic shifting drivetrain or carbon frames that are poorly designed or manufactured to the point of being out of tolerance or cables that wear away a steerer.

As for your pride in shopping local, cool. You do realize that there are a lot of brands that aren't local and also not large corporations, right? It doesn't need to be one or the other.
With Canyon the savings are simply too high to ignore if you like their bikes. Plus my LBS sucks so I now avoid using it. Warranty work with Canyon might be more time consuming, which doesn't really bother me.
Old 10-13-23, 05:25 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Warranty work with Canyon bikes requires you shipping the bike back to them. That was a non-starter for me. People have posted about problems with their Canyon bikes and having to take them apart and ship them back and I prefer to deal with a local bike shop business instead. I always support local businesses with their local employees over corporations.
Figure you save $1500 with the Canyon vs a different big brand name. In some cases, you save more with the Canyon.

Both bikes will have similar decent equipment with low failure rates. Say is a 105 bike and the rear mech fails - warranty covers the equipment, but typically the labor cost is on you.
-$50 part covered, $40 out of pocket for the labor.
-Buy the part on your own and install yourself - you're out $10.

I've had my freehub replaced twice under warranty, $40 labor both times.

And those parts are only covered for 2 years, and subject to scrutiny - misuse, normal wear and tear - not covered.

So, you are down to the frame/fork - that would be about the only thing you would have to send the bike back to Canyon for. This will be a rare event with any bike.

But you saved $1500 up front - paying out of pocket for small items, that may not be covered anyway, and you would need to pay for the labor...

I don't see any disadvantages warranty wise.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 10-13-23, 11:47 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by cweb99
Ok so now I’m looking at gravel bikes. Knew this wouldn’t be easy lol. Thinking of just keeping my Allez for the flats and get a gravel for long rides and hills, and occasional gravel.
I wouldn't bother buying a gravel bike for "occasional gravel", since the Endurace will fit tires that should work for "occasional gravel". My Endurace CF SL 7 has 52/36 x 11-34, and it's good for any climb I care to do. In fact the 36x34 is too low for a lot of them.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-14-23, 01:01 PM
cweb99

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
This is a beauty and can’t beat that price. Talked to some Canyon owners today and there was nothing but good things they said.

and red goes faster then any other bike on the market

im going with this. Thanks all for your input

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...ahmengroesse=S
Likes For cweb99:
Old 10-14-23, 01:19 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
This is a beauty and can’t beat that price. Talked to some Canyon owners today and there was nothing but good things they said.

that is a great deal.
Old 10-14-23, 02:41 PM
Jklotz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts

That IS a good deal! Not much you can't do with that bike. I think it will be awesome for you. Congrats!
Old 10-14-23, 06:21 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts

Should be great, And red does go faster. It just does. Some weird metaphysical reason for that.
Old 10-14-23, 07:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts

Really great deal, if the geometry of the frame and cockpit fit.
Ultegra, power meter, quality stock tires...makes for a great deal.
Old 10-14-23, 08:16 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Late to the party here but wanted to give my two bits on the future shock. It is not needed much at all on good roads. It doesn’t do much on mildly bumpy roads with 32mm tires. For rougher roads it definitely helps even with 32mm tires. But bump those tires up to 35mm and again the future shock isn’t adding much at all.

I have lots of really bad roads and 30mm tires so I definitely appreciate it in spots. The Roubaix is also a much better gravel bike with the wider tires the new model can take. Still I agree it’s impossible to justify over the Canyon in terms of the value proposition.
Old 10-14-23, 09:42 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Another late-to-the-party response, but I own a few different Canyons. My Endurace CF SL is an older model(2020,) but has been almost flawless. The official max tire width on mine is 30mm, but I've had 33mm 'cross tires on it at times in the past. I don't need that now, since I've gotten a gravel bike, but it had plenty of clearance in dry conditions for the 33s.
Old 10-15-23, 04:32 AM
PeteHski

For sure that is the sweetspot in the Canyon range for performance per $. Unbeatable value. Enjoy!
Old 10-16-23, 03:46 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts

That is an awesome deal.

I was looking at that bike during Rona times. It was an 8+ month wait, and I believe the 105 version cost more at that time.

Here is a good dollar for dollar comparison:
My aluminum Emonda with 105, close to 2#'s heavier, no power meter, was only $150 cheaper than your Canyon.
Old 10-16-23, 05:26 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I saw the new Roubaix S-WORKS over the weekend at an event - it's a nice looking bike. Doesn't come with integrated cables though because of the future shock. To me it's a big no no, especially at a 14-15k price tag, but I know that a lot of cyclists don't mind cables showing.

Money wise, I'd go with the Canyon and hope you don't run into any troubles (we don't have retailers here so warranty claims are done abroad).
Old 10-16-23, 06:03 AM
Jklotz

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator

Money wise, I'd go with the Canyon and hope you don't run into any troubles (we don't have retailers here so warranty claims are done abroad).
Maybe I've been lucky, but in all these years of riding, I don't think I've ever had a warranty claim with a bike.
Likes For Jklotz:
Old 10-17-23, 03:53 PM
cweb99

So I missed the boat for size. Hoping they make my size in stock again. The few biggest things that caught my eye was the seat post and semi aero bars over the CF 7.
Old 10-23-23, 11:15 AM
cweb99

Update

im now saving for the CF SLX. Twice the price yet this will be my last bike purchase so I’m going big.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...nfarbe=BK%2FBK
Likes For cweb99:
Old 10-23-23, 12:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Update

im now saving for the CF SLX. Twice the price yet this will be my last bike purchase so I’m going big.
Thanks for the update.

I'm just a little incredulous that this is slated to be your last bike purchase. I certainly hope I haven't made my last bike purchase. At 65 y.o., I think there should be at least 3 or 4 more bikes in my future. Maybe more.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-23-23, 01:43 PM
cweb99

Originally Posted by Iride01
Thanks for the update.

I'm just a little incredulous that this is slated to be your last bike purchase. I certainly hope I haven't made my last bike purchase. At 65 y.o., I think there should be at least 3 or 4 more bikes in my future. Maybe more.

lol. I figured I bought my last road bike in 2015. Now I want an endurance bike.
Old 10-23-23, 04:12 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Thanks for the update.

ditto at 65 I hope I have a lot of bikes and even more fast cars and offroad vehicles left in my bones. just got in from a 60 mile ride on my canyon cf8 and thinking a really lightweight steel bike is in my future....
Old 10-24-23, 09:17 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
I would go Canyon Endurace but it depends on what you ride. IMO the Roubaix is more of faux gravel bike but more so an all-road bike and the Endurace is a bike that could dabble in some allroad and even gravel but really it's a tarmac bound bike. I feel the complexity, cost, and thus the cost repair the Roubaix isn't worth it. I think the Future Shock is cool but I wouldn't really want it unless I went full on gravel, but by that point I would just get the Diverge STR.

If I were looking for an endurance bike today it would be the Canyon Endurace or the new Giant Defy
Old 10-25-23, 08:50 AM
Paradox77

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I also went with Canyon the SLX. Hope I made the right choice.
Likes For Paradox77:
Old 10-25-23, 06:27 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Jrasero
I would go Canyon Endurace but it depends on what you ride. IMO the Roubaix is more of faux gravel bike but more so an all-road bike and the Endurace is a bike that could dabble in some allroad and even gravel but really it's a tarmac bound bike. I feel the complexity, cost, and thus the cost repair the Roubaix isn't worth it. I think the Future Shock is cool but I wouldn't really want it unless I went full on gravel, but by that point I would just get the Diverge STR.

If I were looking for an endurance bike today it would be the Canyon Endurace or the new Giant Defy
I think I would only get the Roubaix if I was riding on cobble stones, where the FutureShock probably is a major benefit. My Endurace and Defy both cope very well with rough normal roads without suspension. Wider tyres at lower pressures have kind of made FutureShock redundant for road use.
Old 10-25-23, 07:13 PM
cweb99

Yeah I think I need more @$$ comfort then hands. I’m so pumped to get that SLX with Di2. I’m gonna hit the show room and test ride it next week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.