Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Messengers Who Love Classic & Vintage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 08:49 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 61 Posts

I took a couple of quick pictures of some of the bike messenger bikes outside my office in downtown San Francisco this afternoon. Would love comments and identification. Their state is a far cry from what I'm used to seeing posted here, but somehow I love seeing these bikes ridden ... even if they are a little rough around the edges.

Any thoughts on what these are (or originally were) aside form the obvious Raleigh, Pinarello, Motta, and Cilo?

What models are we looking at? (There's a nice Steelman in the background behind the Cilo...)

Sorry about the poor quality pictures.

Last edited by CriticalThought; 02-24-17 at 11:37 AM.
Likes For CriticalThought:
Old 02-23-17, 09:06 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
The Raleigh Team Panasonic is really nice, likely Reynolds 531 or better.

Gianni Motta Personal
Old 02-23-17, 09:21 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
They ride some nice stuff!

The Motta has the Trans-Tork stays. It's a Personal 2001. A step up from the Personal and not quite the 2001r (sock type dropouts/fork ends). Mid eighties, Italian flag paint.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 02-23-17 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-23-17, 09:42 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Those are some seriously ridden bikes. Mismatched rims, worn saddles... Much beausage here.
...And slam that stem, Raleigh rider!!
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 02-23-17, 09:46 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

You guys are great. Love getting this kind of info so quickly. These are only some of the beauties I see San Francisco messengers on. I'll try to take some pictures of others that catch my eye. I saw a messenger on a wonderful Zunow the other day.

Last edited by CriticalThought; 02-24-17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-23-17, 10:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Oxley
Those are some seriously ridden bikes. Mismatched rims, worn saddles... Much beausage here.
...And slam that stem, Raleigh rider!!
All my stems from my racing days carried slices across their throats. Then I discovered I could go longer instead of down and the net effect wasn't very different. My shoulders and torso stayed inthe same place, So did my elbow bend. Aero got a little better. Biggest loss was big gear climbing. (For me, the magic number is 2:1 - 2 cms length - 1 cm down or, for example, a 140 stem a 1/2 cm higher is the same as the lower 130.
Old 02-23-17, 10:38 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Does anyone know if there's some good reason for two of those bikes not to have bartape?
Old 02-23-17, 11:36 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
When I was very young in 1968 I keenly looked at what the bike messengers were riding in SF in the Financial district and along Market Street... Schwinn paperboy bikes, having sheet metal plate signs in the main "triangle" with the service name and phone number, fitted with huge Wald type baskets up front, some with rear racks, some with the rider wearing a messenger bag, also having contact info. Some of the baskets had a canvas flap over the top.

I wanted to do that, my great aunts were aghast. But the one who drove did drive around and follow a few, she was impressed with their ability to weave through traffic. Had not noticed them before I pointed them out. They were Great great aunties.
Old 02-24-17, 06:13 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Do the owners of these bikes consider them "disposeable" and replaceable? S.F. has a lot of crooks wheedling around the financial district, knob hill, russian hill and north beach. South of Market? Forget it. Of course, leaving your bike locked like this allows the possibility of buying it back, later that afternoon, on S. Mission.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 02-24-17, 07:17 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by lasauge
Does anyone know if there's some good reason for two of those bikes not to have bartape?
Three of them. No grips on the flat bars either. I noticed it too, and figured they wear gloves and consider the bar tape superfluous. Just a guess.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-24-17, 09:42 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
One thing I love about San Francisco and other hilly cities is that local riders understand the value of gears. I did not see any SS/FG in your photoshoot.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 02-24-17, 11:32 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Oxley
Three of them. No grips on the flat bars either. I noticed it too, and figured they wear gloves and consider the bar tape superfluous. Just a guess.
Just for show, totally superfluous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160412_135238.jpg (99.3 KB, 848 views)
Old 02-24-17, 11:35 AM
CriticalThought

Here's another I took this morning on the way in to the office (not as many around since I think they're making deliveries). It's a not too common Fondriest. One C&V aspect of some of these bikes (like this) is that a lot of them use toe straps. Makes sense since they're constantly rushing around both on and off the bikes.

I'll add some more C&V messenger bikes when I manage to catch them.

I'm really intrigued by the Motta.

Old 02-24-17, 12:03 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
That Cilo is nothing to shrug at, either. Fork is an obvious replacement, but I had a very similar model that was SLX.

I also do not get the no-bartape deal. Odd.
Old 02-24-17, 12:58 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
These are the real "pro" bikes. Nice photos, love the theme!
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 02-24-17, 01:40 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
I'm guessing they ride with gloves and their hands on the hoods virtually all the time. Probably not able to get into the drops much, and need to have the brake levers at the ready. Plus they're constantly propping their bikes against fences and whatnot, so the bar tape would quickly get torn, worn, and dirty. I notice the top bike has a lot of electrical tape, but no padded tape.

And I suppose they don't take more care in locking the bikes because they're away from them very briefly. Or maybe there's some kind of code among the theft groups to leave the messengers mostly alone, unless the messenger is really sloppy.
Old 02-24-17, 02:25 PM
mzr

Bikes: Who cares?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is a great thread. I find this stuff much more interesting than the restoration threads.
Old 02-24-17, 02:55 PM
CriticalThought

Bike Messengers Who Love Classic & Vintage - Kelly & Merckx

Really glad you guys are enjoying these as much as I am. I know a guy with an original AC Cobra. He bought it new and still drives the hell out of it (scared & impressed me at the same time once while ripping around the Berkeley hills with him)... but his car looks like these bikes. Used and loved in that order. To quote @J.Oxley "Much beausage".

I think I like them so much because I tend to be more on the keeping-things-pristine end of the spectrum, and despite hard use, I usually touch things up, restore them, and so on. Such is my personality. But I LOVE seeing these bikes ridden in this state. It's fantastic. And as far as locking them up loosely goes, their owners (at least where I've been taking pictures) are no more than a few feet away.

I caught a couple more this afternoon. Would love any background on this particular model of Eddy Merckx and the beautiful green Kelly with the straight forks.

Old 02-24-17, 03:42 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Are the brake releases on this guy's brifters open?

Originally Posted by CriticalThought
Old 02-24-17, 05:37 PM
CriticalThought

Shifting the Motta

Did you guys notice the curious combination of down-tube shifter and thumb shifter on the Motta? I wonder what that's all about. Any thoughts as to what Messenger-specific need their might be that would lead one to choose a thumb shifter over a down-tube mounted one?

I did notice a lot of the messenger bikes have been converted to brifters.

Old 02-24-17, 06:45 PM
CannedPakes
Bar Ends Forever

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalThought
Did you guys notice the curious combination of down-tube shifter and thumb shifter on the Motta? I wonder what that's all about. Any thoughts as to what Messenger-specific need their might be that would lead one to choose a thumb shifter over a down-tube mounted one?

I did notice a lot of the messenger bikes have been converted to brifters.

Doubt there's any real reason. Downtube shifter probably broke and he happened to have a thumb shifter laying around.
Old 02-24-17, 07:05 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
more convenient, on the bar shifting for the rear, which has more shifting generally?

Old 02-24-17, 07:29 PM
CriticalThought

Bike Messengers Who Love Classic & Vintage - Faggin

This is the last one I took today before heading home. It's a pretty cool looking Faggin. Another bike I don't know the history of very well. Looks like the front fork has been replaced (my uneducated, un-researched guess) with an Easton one.

I wonder if having messengers riding cool classic steel is something distinct to San Francisco?

It doesn't seem like it would be but then again I haven't had the opportunity to take a long close look at what messengers are riding elsewhere.

Old 02-24-17, 07:32 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by squirtdad
more convenient, on the bar shifting for the rear, which has more shifting generally?
+1
I think we're looking at pure functional efficiency.

@CriticalThought -- Definitely a replacement fork on the Faggin above.
Old 02-28-17, 12:33 PM
CriticalThought

Bike Messengers Who Love Classic & Vintage - Atala Special

San Francisco seems to have no end of bike messengers who love classics with lots of character.

I spotted this well used Atala on the way in this morning. Looks like a new Brooks Cambium, straight bars, and that absolutely massive (and task appropriate) porteur-style front rack. Love it.

Any Atala cognoscenti out there able to shed any light on this one? Mid 80s Atala Special? Think the rear caliper and crank might be original?

There seems to be a theme with these C&V messenger bikes... classic steel frames but with replacement forks.

Last edited by CriticalThought; 02-28-17 at 12:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.