Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Future planning for E-bike touring

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 03:15 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts

I just saw info on the new Salsa Confluence. I know it's just being release. There are no reviews on it yet, but it got me to thinking.

I have an electric cargo ebike that I have been using for 7 years and it's been so nice to use. I only use the assist when I need help and it is SO NICE to have that option. The downside to that bike for me is that it's soooooo heavy AND if I ever wanted to use it for like a bike tour for anything, it's nearly impossible to change the rear tire by oneself. So, It's my utility bike. For going on a rail-trail bike ride with the family I use my Surly Ogre.

Right now I can't do much riding because of being a full-time caregiver to my MIL with dementia AND helping my teen with autism with school. For MONTHS I've been just looking at options available for things like Ragbrai for a future year (I'm originally from Iowa) and I dream about doing that event once. AND I would like to do a BIG bike tour - maybe across the USA when I'm FREE for a bit of so much heavy duty caregiving.

I had just assumed I would use a regular bike, but with the advancements of e-bikes and even having the ability to carry an extra battery I don't understand why anyone would NOT use an ebike for longer tours.

One of the reasons too that I was avoiding really looking at e-bikes was the price tag, but now? It's not that big of a difference in price between a good touring bike and a decent e-bike.

When I use my e-bike I always use as little assist as I can.. I LIKE using my body, but I also really love having the option of helping myself with a big hill with the assist.

Maybe I'm not forward thinking enough, but even when the battery runs out on an ebike, these bikes have gotten so much lighter that having to pedal without an assist in dire circumstances doesn't seem so horrible.

So, I'm really curious to see the future of ebikes and what it will mean for bike touring!

ETA - I just saw the Salsa Tributary info too. It would be great if there was a combo of the two (which I'm sure as time goes on there will be).

Last edited by mams99; 03-18-24 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-19-24, 02:06 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on the Salsa e-bikes (not ). Thankfully, they are not sold here in Australia as yet, as I have a Reise and Muller Supercharger GT coming as my e-touring bike. The Tributary would have made the short list if I could overcome the range limitations.

All the best with your future plans.
Old 03-19-24, 07:33 AM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Originally Posted by Aushiker
Thanks for the heads-up on the Salsa e-bikes (not ). Thankfully, they are not sold here in Australia as yet, as I have a Reise and Muller Supercharger GT coming as my e-touring bike. The Tributary would have made the short list if I could overcome the range limitations.

All the best with your future plans.

Well, you know how it goes with tech, as soon as you buy something, something better/improved comes out.

I feel that way about my electric cargo bike. 7 years ago when I was in dire need of a cargo bike that could take a passenger, the Pedego Stretch was the most affordable option that had all the features I needed. Very soon after, more things started popping up and I had some envy! But 7 years with that bike with the battery still like new AND I can still get reliable service for it, I can't complain!

I'm just hoping that when I can buy a touring ebike that there will be even more options and that the kinks will have been worked out. For me, I don't need all the features of faster speeds (class one is fine), but I want that long lasting battery and on a bike that isn't too heavy (though I don't want carbon). I want a road tourer that can do LIGHT off-road. Right now that isn't really available, but it probably will be soon.
Old 03-19-24, 04:01 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 174 Posts
Mine's a bit like their Confluence GRX 600, gravel setup but 1X12 and TQ rather than Mahle drivetrain. Half year+ on it's been great fun and at 30# I don't concern myself with boost range, as it rides like a bike powered off. Haven't run the battery flat yet and haven't shelled out for an auxiliary bottle rack battery. As it is, at low boost 50 miles quite doable. Anywhere near 100 seems dubious without that second pack.

No mount facilities on mine, but I was not looking for that. As a tourer (sagged, I suppose) it would be great, being both comfortable and quick handling.

Best of luck on your hunt!
Old 03-19-24, 04:14 PM
mams99

Originally Posted by Rick_D
Mine's a bit like their Confluence GRX 600, gravel setup but 1X12 and TQ rather than Mahle drivetrain. Half year+ on it's been great fun and at 30# I don't concern myself with boost range, as it rides like a bike powered off. Haven't run the battery flat yet and haven't shelled out for an auxiliary bottle rack battery. As it is, at low boost 50 miles quite doable. Anywhere near 100 seems dubious without that second pack.

No mount facilities on mine, but I was not looking for that. As a tourer (sagged, I suppose) it would be great, being both comfortable and quick handling.

Best of luck on your hunt!
I haven't looked at e-bikes since I bought mine all those years ago. It's kind of boggling to keep track of it all and I wonder where people are riding them? Class 1 is the only ones you can ride on trails. of course, on roads/streets you can ride whatever, but I have never understood high speeds on bicycles. That crosses into motorcycle land for me and I have no interest in that.

The low weight of the Confluence bike is very intriguing to me too because of the weight - battery wears out, so what? Just keep riding! It's what I do with my electric cargo bike which Is why I almost never run out of change, I'm just using it for that help up the hill, not for normal riding. on flat or near flat. But doing that on an empty battery with a 75 lbs bike EXCLUDING the battery? No thank you!
Old 03-20-24, 09:34 AM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
I have a 2023 Canyon Pathlite e-bike which is essentially a hardtail mtb that I use exclusively for overnight bikepacking on hilly fire roads, here in my local mountains. I’ve made a few mods on the bike to fit my riding style and terrain…. smaller chainring, tighter cassette, dropper post, alt bar, etc…
I use the pedal assist only when I need it, so my 625 watt hour battery has more than enough capacity. I rarely use more than 40% of its capacity on overnight trips, usually with 2,000’ of elevation gain, and carrying 25 lbs of camping gear.

Likes For roadfix:
Old 03-20-24, 06:17 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
I have a 2023 Canyon Pathlite e-bike which is essentially a hardtail mtb that I use exclusively for overnight bikepacking on hilly fire roads, here in my local mountains. I’ve made a few mods on the bike to fit my riding style and terrain…. smaller chainring, tighter cassette, dropper post, alt bar, etc…
I use the pedal assist only when I need it, so my 625 watt hour battery has more than enough capacity. I rarely use more than 40% of its capacity on overnight trips, usually with 2,000’ of elevation gain, and carrying 25 lbs of camping gear.
Nice looking setup.
Likes For Aushiker: