Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New BB sealed cartridge will not fit

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-22, 02:43 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 68 Posts

I know you have heard this many times before. First I was a flipper for many years and have worked on a large number of BB. I am changing the crankset on my
1992 Cannondale with Shimano 600- 52x39 . I removed the 600 crankset and found it had a very old threaded with nut spindle but it was long enough 118mm for the new
crankset. There was not enough threads to tighten new crankset so I ordered a un-300 sealed unit and it does not fit threads in Cannondale frame?
I am wondering how can this be as I have updated many of these old Cannondale frames in the past. The threads are super clean as the old parts screw back in with just hand pressure.
Here is the part number on the box Shimano bbun300 bc137 68 XL 118. What is the XL in the part number? I ordered another without the XL
I did measure the outside diameter of the new and old parts and they are the same. One part against the other and the pitch seems the same. Neither side will screw in?
Ed
Old 10-06-22, 03:37 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The only thing I can think of is you're trying to thread the DS cup into the NDS of the frame. Should go in no prob if that's not the case.
Old 10-06-22, 05:59 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 68 Posts
Found the problem . The screw that holds the cables was long and hitting the sealed bracket just enough to tip it and not allow me to start the thread.
When sitting here for three hours thinking back to the last Cannondale bb update I remembered running into this problem on a cad three frame may be 7-8 years ago.
On that one the old sealed cartridge came out but the new one would not go in until I cut off the screw.
Ed
Likes For EddyR:
Old 10-06-22, 06:43 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by EddyR
Found the problem . The screw that holds the cables was long and hitting the sealed bracket just enough to tip it and not allow me to start the thread.
When sitting here for three hours thinking back to the last Cannondale bb update I remembered running into this problem on a cad three frame may be 7-8 years ago.
On that one the old sealed cartridge came out but the new one would not go in until I cut off the screw.
Ed
Been there. Also once had an issue of the rear light wire through the frame from a generator light causing the same problem
Old 10-06-22, 09:02 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by EddyR
Ed
Yep, that'll do it.