Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Skinny wheel cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Skinny wheel cycling

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 02:22 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Skinny wheel cycling

Pretty soon I am going to buy an entry level road bike, probably the Trek 1.1

It will have narrow tires compared to the ones I have been using. Am wondering just how hard it is going to be to avoid cracks and other dangers in the road (up here in Maine). Saw a guy the other day ride over a short section of road that had been dug up and filled with pretty soft sand. Don't know how he did it. I ended up carrying my bike over it. Guess I will just keep my eyes on the road and use extra care. At 178 lbs and just under 6 foot tall I am not as light as these other guys but not really too overweight either. Fortunately the LBS is going to let me try the bike out on my own roads before I purchase it.
Old 02-22-10, 02:27 PM
graphs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry too much about it, you'll get used to them quickly. With the exception of sewer grates there aren't any more dangers in the road then if you had fat tires.
Old 02-22-10, 02:29 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Better safe than sorry.

Personally, I avoid any/all cracks.

And don't cross rairoad/streetcar tracks at a shallow angle.
Old 02-22-10, 02:34 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
you'll be fine
Old 02-22-10, 02:39 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
We run 700x25s on our tandem. Before we got older (we're in our mid-70s) we ran 700x23s. Not an issue fpr us.
Old 02-22-10, 03:10 PM
FallsApart

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Campione (currently in pieces), 80's Schwinn Chicago singlespeed, Neuvation w/ 5100 SRAM Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've road biked in Maine and all over New England on gnarly, frost-heave riddled roads in pretty much all conditions. I ran a 700x23 at somewhere around 110 to 120 psi with no problem - you learn fast what you can ride over and what you need to watch for. For me, the biggest danger was early spring sand on corners before the roads were cleaned up.

In Boston, I switched from slicks to a thicker treaded tire that ran lower psi (90s? 80s?) to deal with all the glass and man-eating potholes that gave me a series of 5 pinch flats in 2 weeks. Still, the thin tires made life much better.
Old 02-22-10, 05:14 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
This is a great forum! Whenever I post a query I get an immediate response. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.
Old 02-22-10, 05:36 PM
Lamabb
Doesn't ride enough

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Caad9 5 / 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker/ 2013 Orbea Orca Bli2 / 2011 Specialized Rock Hopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I avoid all pot holes, concrete seams and cracks big enough to cause damage. If you're not use to a road bike's geometry you will probably have slight lower back pain until you get used to it. Also, you should have it fitted because nothing is worse than painful riding due to not having your bike fit.

**Hijacking thread for a moment**
Can anyone comment on the Cannondale Synapse 6 (Compact). I am thinking of buying it because I do group rides with my club, I don't race. And I want to be able to tow a BOB trailer and take it touring. Anyone familiar with it?
Old 02-22-10, 08:23 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I rode my Worksman with 26x2.125 tires for a year or two, and am now riding my Raleigh Sojourn with 35x700 tires (which are skinny little tires in comparison). Really not any difference in the riding in that respect, you still try to dodge all the potholes you can and avoid lengthwise cracks just in case. They skinnier tires are a harsher ride, so you're a bit more motivated to miss the bumps. And you notice road roughness more, so you're more motivated to go ride on the smoother street.
Old 02-22-10, 08:28 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just rode through 2 inches of mud and ice and gravel yesterday on a ride...it was slippery, but I never crashed. skinny tires will take a lot of abuse. even slick skinny tires.