Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Insurance Questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Insurance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 07:32 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Insurance Questions

Recently came home from a vacation and saw that my cousin who was house sitting for us wrecked my four wheeler. It was not covered under our homeowner's policy as they told us ATV's need their own inland marine policy.

That made me ask some questions about my bike. Insurance guy said it would be covered under the homeowners, but only for theft.

I guess my question is, do any of you guys have your bikes insured? I want to be sure its covered if its stolen from the house, and be sure if its in the car, that the car policy would cover it too. Haven't asked that question yet. I guess they dont make a collision policy for bikes although that would be nice.

So what do you guys do about insurance?
Old 04-28-12, 07:48 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
Recently came home from a vacation and saw that my cousin who was house sitting for us wrecked my four wheeler. It was not covered under our homeowner's policy as they told us ATV's need their own inland marine policy.

That made me ask some questions about my bike. Insurance guy said it would be covered under the homeowners, but only for theft.

I guess my question is, do any of you guys have your bikes insured? I want to be sure its covered if its stolen from the house, and be sure if its in the car, that the car policy would cover it too. Haven't asked that question yet. I guess they dont make a collision policy for bikes although that would be nice.

Your home owners will cover your bike if it is stolen from your car as well as your home. I hate to use the old use the search function thing but there are several threads about this already.
Old 04-28-12, 08:03 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,480 Times in 3,224 Posts
Did you beat your cousin? I would have taken a baseball bat to him.

Drunken fool...
Old 04-28-12, 08:22 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
In reality, if you do not have financial means to self insure the loss of your bike then you have too much money tied up in your bike. To pay for replacement insurance beyond what your homeowners or vehicle insurance would do does not make good financial sense.
Old 04-28-12, 08:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I used to have my bicycle insured with CAA (Canadian Automobile Association) as an extra on my content insurance. That was a decent policy.

You might check what AAA has to offer.
Old 04-28-12, 08:32 AM
neurocycler
Me Likey Bikey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I used to have my bicycle insured with CAA (Canadian Automobile Association) as an extra on my content insurance. That was a decent policy.

You might check what AAA has to offer.
+1, Still have mine insured via the CAA.
Old 04-28-12, 09:02 AM
rangerdavid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great, I'll check with CAA. Self insured? sure, I can replace it if necessary, but I'd rather not have to. I'm going to have to fork out several thousand for a new four wheeler now, as I'm pretty sure this thing is totalled. it was just a wake up call to check on the bike. Hell the wheels alone would cost $2K to replace. You guys know how it is. We all love our bikes.
Old 04-28-12, 10:14 AM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have renter's insurance. I had a bike stolen and they covered it, and then dropped me. I got USAA renter's insurance and it's all good now
Old 04-28-12, 01:36 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
If your cousin has automobile insurance and he wrecked the ATV due to his own negligence, it's very likely that his insurance company will cover the damages.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-29-12, 05:54 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
the bike is considered personal property under your homeowners and/or renters policy. like a tv or sofa and those policies cover it as stated in the policy. i suggest you read the policy instead of taking someones word or opinion on your coverage. the policy is a contract between you and the insurance company. you can specifically insure the bike, paying more to do so, that typically provides more coverage. later.
Old 04-29-12, 08:19 AM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
In reality, if you do not have financial means to self insure the loss of your bike then you have too much money tied up in your bike. To pay for replacement insurance beyond what your homeowners or vehicle insurance would do does not make good financial sense.
It seems everyone has an opinion about most everything.
Old 04-29-12, 08:27 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
Or people could do a search and see the identical points mentioned over and over in numerous threads on the same subject
Old 04-29-12, 08:37 AM
rangerdavid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
If your cousin has automobile insurance and he wrecked the ATV due to his own negligence, it's very likely that his insurance company will cover the damages.

Now this is a great idea!!! I'm going to call him now and see about that. THANKS!!
Old 04-29-12, 12:56 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Originally Posted by Phil85207
Yes, and in this clipped in's is a good one. In most cases you're better off self insuring the loss of a bike. There are a number of threads that elaborate on the analysis that underlies clipped in's post.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-29-12, 01:34 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I don't understand why this subject is so complicated. Homeowners insurance and most renter's insurance covers bikes. If your's doesn't or covers enough and bikes are important, find another policy that does. Taking out a rider/sepertae coverage doesn't make financial sense.
Old 04-29-12, 01:46 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
If you self insure, you pay when you have a loss. If you buy insurance, you pay even without any losses. Over the years I've paid insurance companies many times over what I have collected from them, which is of course central to how they make money. Liability insurance, however, is a societal responsibility. You must be able to cover harm or losses caused by you to others. Of course, if you have lien against something like a house or car, it's often required that it is covered by insurance. So, if you have homeowner's insurance, you might as well avail yourself of its coverages if you have a loss...and sometimes riders for specific items might be relatively reasonably priced and worth considering if you are risk averse or financially overextended.
Old 04-29-12, 02:01 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdavid

Your cousin owes you for the four wheeler...and the agent is correct.
Old 04-29-12, 02:02 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I don't understand why this subject is so complicated. Homeowners insurance and most renter's insurance covers bikes. If your's doesn't or covers enough and bikes are important, find another policy that does. Taking out a rider/sepertae coverage doesn't make financial sense.
Because this is bike forums...that's why it's so complicated.