Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fat Tire or Narrow Tire?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Fat Tire or Narrow Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 08:08 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by palincss
There's a huge (literally) difference between wide road tires (that some would call "fat") and fat bike tires. I've seen some of those e-fatbikes (on the bike trails where they have no business being, since every one I've seen has been a Class 2 throttle bike, and they're not allowed on bike trails) and have no idea why people are riding them there. On snow and sand, yes, they are very much in their element and nothing else comes close. But on pavement, what's the point? No one in this discussion has been advocating in favor of fatbike tires, it's been about wide vs narrow road tires. In an ebike context, I'd call 28-32 narrow, 38-48 wide.
Fat tires and narrow tires are suitable for different fields. You can choose the corresponding tires according to your own needs or hobbies. Some people prefer narrow tires because they are lighter and have less friction with the ground. And I'm more inclined towards the fat tire, just because I like its cute appearance.
Old 03-17-22, 08:17 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Originally Posted by palincss
Forget ebikes for a second; as far as steering is concerned, bikes are bikes. I'll match the steering accuracy on my 650Bx38 and 650Bx42 bikes with anything you can show me with a 23, 25 or 28 mm tire (because I've got bikes in all those sizes too). Any claim that wide tires as such do not steer accurately is just plain wrong.
It's not that fat tires can't steer accurately, it's just that narrow tires are more accurate than fat tires. After all, in a narrow range, the volume of the narrow tire is better.
Old 03-17-22, 08:20 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
but it does effect acceleration. my bosch powered bulls bike with 1.5" marathons at 7psi and my trek allant with a new bosch and 2.5" tires at 50 psi so so different in how they accelerate. even though the trek has 23nm more torque I cant accelerate nearly as fast. it is pretty noticeable.but the ride is so much more comfortable. even with a fox air fork and good suspension seat post the bulls is harsh and can really beat me up on the same roads at 20mph. I am a little slower on the trek overall too. I have debated on using the bulls wheels on the trek to really see how different the bikes work. but have been too lazy to get the parts to convert the hubs.
Yeah, the narrow tires accelerate relatively quickly, but the fat tires are more comfortable. As for how to choose, it ultimately depends on your use and hobbies.