Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 Driftless extra bits

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-23, 09:12 PM
zeroderby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, my new Checkpoint came with some extra bolts, spacers, long thingys and other stuff. Would anyone know what they are for? Thanks.

Old 05-02-23, 09:38 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Yep! 🙂

1) The long black plastic things are for custom mounting of accessories in different positions (using the existing mount holes in the frame).
2) The bolts are also for that purpose, spare ones for mounting more stuff.
3) The circular metal spacers I believe are additional not-needed bits for the headset, included as spares.

The other two bits I am not sure about though.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 05-02-23, 09:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
The rings look like BB spacers, one looks like it even may be a wave washer for use at the crank, parts are often packed generically and not every bike would use them though typically shops would just keep something like that. The small plastic piece above the 4 bolts looks like a cable routing guide like you might see on a suspension fork, sometimes shops will just substitute a ziptie rather than screw it in. The two small screws are for the third bolt holes that have the brass threadings in the accessory mounts, they want to supply short bolts so some dope doesn't screw up their frame or break the bracket but screwing in too long a bolt.
Old 05-02-23, 10:14 PM
zeroderby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I would not have guessed that the long brackets were for mounting accessories.