Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Found a Garmin Edge 500 on my ride today, cracked screen/LCD. Any hope for it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-12, 11:56 AM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I came across a Gamin Edge 500 on the road today during my ride. No one else around. Looks like it was either dropped very badly or it was dropped then run over with something.....

Some cracks in the glass on the top, and the LCD is shot. All rainbow colored.

First of all, did anyone lose a Garmin Edge 500 today in NY outside the city?..... if I can return it to the original owner, that would be ideal, but like I said, no one was around. If not.....

I plugged it in and it still seems to power up. Has anyone dealt with Garmin to get a new screen, or found a 3rd party supplier of screens I could install on my own?... Not sure what Garmin will say since I'm not the original owner. Maybe they'll replace the screen for a price... calling them later today but didn't know if anyone had experience replacing Garmin screens.....

Thanks
Old 05-12-12, 11:57 AM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know much about them, but this just dawned on me: is there a way to plug it into my computer and read any info off of the device? Maybe I can find the original owner that way? I plugged it in but it doesn't show up as an external device.
Old 05-12-12, 12:07 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
An Edge 500 should show up as a USB hard drive. If your computer doesn't show that, it may be toast.

You could try calling Garmin customer service and read off the serial number, they might be able to help contact the owner.
Old 05-12-12, 12:07 PM
HMF
SkinnyStrong

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Syncmaster
I don't know much about them, but this just dawned on me: is there a way to plug it into my computer and read any info off of the device? Maybe I can find the original owner that way? I plugged it in but it doesn't show up as an external device.
good idea. You could probably get the GPS data off of it, then put up "Found" posters on the street where the ride originated. Or just go door to door.
Old 05-12-12, 12:10 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
An Edge 500 should show up as a USB hard drive. If your computer doesn't show that, it may be toast.

You could try calling Garmin customer service and read off the serial number, they might be able to help contact the owner.
I had to download and install the proper drivers for it to show up. It's showing up now as an external device so I guess that means it's still functioning.

Originally Posted by HMF
good idea. You could probably get the GPS data off of it, then put up "Found" posters on the street where the ride originated. Or just go door to door.
Any thoughts on how I'd get the GPS data off of it?
Old 05-12-12, 12:11 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need some software for the computer to recognize the device
https://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/
Old 05-12-12, 12:16 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gluteus
Thanks. I tried it out a little while ago and it's now recognizing the device so I assume it's still functioning. Not sure how to use any of the data on the device though.... if I wanted to use it to help locate the original owner.
Old 05-12-12, 12:20 PM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go to garmin connect website, upload the ride to it and it'll show exactly where he lives - assuming he pressed start in his driveway
Old 05-12-12, 12:27 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by simonaway427
Go to garmin connect website, upload the ride to it and it'll show exactly where he lives - assuming he pressed start in his driveway
Thanks! This was what i was looking for. However, looking at what comes up, there are only 2 recorded rides on it. One from 3 days ago and it's only 2 seconds long... with no distance traveled. And one from a little while ago when I must have pressed the start and stop buttons while tinkering with the device....

no leads yet... I'll call Garmin.
Old 05-12-12, 12:45 PM
eugenek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! This was what i was looking for. However, looking at what comes up, there are only 2 recorded rides on it. One from 3 days ago and it's only 2 seconds long... with no distance traveled. And one from a little while ago when I must have pressed the start and stop buttons while tinkering with the device....

no leads yet... I'll call Garmin.
Even if no distance was traveled, it should still contain GPS coordinates of where it was started.

I'm not 100% sure about 500, but I took apart a 305 a few months ago. If 500 is built the same way, it should be straightforward to open it and to remove the cracked LCD. If you can find a dead 500 with a functioning LCD on Craigslist or eBay (or even here), you should be able to swap LCDs and glass screens. Then you'll just need to re-seal it carefully (use superglue, take care not to get any on the outer surfaces) and you have yourself a working unit.

If you can't find the owner and you can't get it fixed, I'll take it off your hands for $20.
Old 05-12-12, 12:52 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eugenek
Even if no distance was traveled, it should still contain GPS coordinates of where it was started.

I'm not 100% sure about 500, but I took apart a 305 a few months ago. If 500 is built the same way, it should be straightforward to open it and to remove the cracked LCD. If you can find a dead 500 with a functioning LCD on Craigslist or eBay (or even here), you should be able to swap LCDs and glass screens. Then you'll just need to re-seal it carefully (use superglue, take care not to get any on the outer surfaces) and you have yourself a working unit.

If you can't find the owner and you can't get it fixed, I'll take it off your hands for $20.
This is all I see from that ride 3 days ago on Garmin Connect. I don't see any maps or any where to look at GPS coordinates... sorry, not familiar with the interface or if it is supposed to look different. Any hep here?

Old 05-12-12, 01:08 PM
eugenek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is all I see from that ride 3 days ago on Garmin Connect. I don't see any maps or any where to look at GPS coordinates... sorry, not familiar with the interface or if it is supposed to look different. Any hep here?
Hmm, yes, there should be a map there. Maybe it was recorded when the unit didn't have satellite reception, say, in a subway?
Old 05-12-12, 01:12 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
or it's just that they (or you) accidentally hit "start" without having achieved a satellite lock. It's less than 2sec so clearly not deliberate.

Honestly, I find the trying to dig into this persons' GPS files a little creepy; just call Garmin and if they can't help, I'd adopt it and get it fixed.
Old 05-12-12, 01:12 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Perhaps.... If I I turn it on, press the start button, just have it in my pocket and go walk around the block with it, should it record my "ride?" Maybe that's a better way of seeing if it still works?...
Old 05-12-12, 01:13 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
When you plug in the garmin, it shows you the serial # of the unit. I know I registered mine when I set it up as part of logging into garmin connect - surely Garmin can do a little legwork for you.
Old 05-12-12, 01:14 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
or it's just that they (or you) accidentally hit "start" without having achieved a satellite lock. It's less than 2sec so clearly not deliberate.

Honestly, I find the trying to dig into this persons' GPS files a little creepy; just call Garmin and if they can't help, I'd adopt it and get it fixed.
Really?... Not like I'm going to plaster this guys address all over the web. Just trying to get some help on how I can get it back to him. Seems like it's a lost cause though. Now I'll be trying my best to see if I can get it working for ME, so I can use it.
Old 05-12-12, 01:17 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Really?... Not like I'm going to plaster this guys address all over the web. Just trying to get some help on how I can get it back to him. Seems like it's a lost cause though. Now I'll be trying my best to see if I can get it working for ME, so I can use it.
I've had to call Garmin support for a few different issues over the years, I just think that will be more definitive than trying to examine the other persons activity files.
Old 05-12-12, 01:19 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had to call Garmin support for a few different issues over the years, I just think that will be more definitive than trying to examine the other persons activity files.
Fair enough. I'm going to call them now.

EDIT: NVM. Looks like their customer service is only open weekdays. :-(
Old 05-12-12, 01:56 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gluteus
No you don't.

It should show up as a mounted USB drive or two. Under the directories "Garmin/History" on one of the drives you should see some TCX files along the lines of "YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS.tcx".
Old 05-12-12, 02:55 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by achoo
YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS.tcx
Is it weird that I read that in my head as "year-year-year-year, month-month, day-day, hour-hour, minute-minute, second-second?"
Old 05-12-12, 07:58 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tried out the garmin walking around town a bit. Tried to manipulate it to start tracking my "ride" without actually being able to see the screen.... was able to have it show up on the maps when I got back. Seems functional!

Just need to get a working LCD in there now....
Old 05-13-12, 08:05 AM
JaceK

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 (Shimano DA), 2008 Kuota Khan (SRAM Red), 2009 Giant OCR2 ( Shimano 105 ), Lynsky R340 ( SRAM Rival )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually you need to call Garmin customer support, give them the serial number, and let them contact the rightful owner. It is registered to the owner, and you really can't use a GPS once they realize it is missing and report it, Garmin will shut it down. I would of reported mine, had I lost it, to prevent exactly what you are doing... stealing.
Old 05-13-12, 08:07 AM
byte_speed
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just need to get a working LCD in there now....
Garmin will replace/fix the the unit for a cost, there is no spare parts.

I had a similar incident with my 500 (run over by car), they quoted me $89 for a replacement (as near as I can recall). They took pity on me and reduced the price since mine was nearly new. Good folks at Garmin.
Old 05-13-12, 08:17 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by JaceK
Actually you need to call Garmin customer support, give them the serial number, and let them contact the rightful owner. It is registered to the owner, and you really can't use a GPS once they realize it is missing and report it, Garmin will shut it down. I would of reported mine, had I lost it, to prevent exactly what you are doing... stealing.
Crazy responses, like this, drag this place down. You have to be out of your mind if you actually think this guy is "stealing" something that he found, on the ground, and has written a whole post on the possibility of locating the owner through the GPS, and/or calling Garmin (who are closed on the weekend). Overreact much?
Old 05-13-12, 08:20 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey! thanks for finding my garmin! mail it along with the 100 dollars I lost in the same area!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.