Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

26" fat frank tire wheel diameter ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24, 12:44 PM
roza

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I would like to buy schwalbe fat franks (26x2.35) for my bike but i want to keep the mudguards also... so I would need the diameter of a 26" wheel with fully inflated fat frank tire to see if it would clear the mudguards. I couldn`t find this info anywhere that`s why I`m asking here.

I currently have a 26x2.2 tire on and it clears the mudguards by about 12mm...

If you know this info or if you could measure your 26" wheels dressed in 26x2.35 fat franks... please let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-09-24, 01:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6348 Post(s)
Liked 4,948 Times in 3,408 Posts
26x2.2 tire is likely to be 55-559 ISO/ETRTO. The 55 is the nominal width in millimeters. The 559 is the BSD (bead seat diameter) of your rim. Most tires are about as tall on the rim as they are wide. So if you have 12mm remaining, you be able to go 6mm more in width and still have 6mm of clearance. So maybe a 26x2.4 if you don't know where to look for the ISO number that is almost always on your tire. It's many times embossed in the sidewall rubber. Some brands make it the tiniest print possible. So it's difficult to see.

Realize that this is still just a best guess at sizing. Tread on the tire doesn't get taken into account by that calculation. So if your new tire is a heavier and thicker tread pattern, then that might leave you with too snug a fit. Also, the 26x2.2 might be a different ISO width for different brands and/models of tire.

Welcome to BF

Last edited by Iride01; 05-09-24 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-09-24, 06:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked 4,178 Times in 2,797 Posts
It won't matter unless they have the same set up it won't help you. Different rim widths and pressures can lead to different actual measured widths. In the end it may be a bit too wide and tall especially with a different tread pattern that will potentially cause issues with your mudguards. You might have to try it out to figure it out.
Old 05-10-24, 04:24 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 995 Times in 513 Posts
As veganbikes said, with this type of thing you won’t know if it works until you try it.