Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Convert euro bb to standard, is this possible?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 01:33 AM
MrLucky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a DMR sidekick which has a euro bb, but is very limiting in the fact that I can't put standard mtb cranks on, is there any way I can convert it to fit? Thanks
Old 09-24-13, 03:55 AM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can you take a picture of what you are talking about and perhaps a link to the product you want to install.

The terms you are using are not standard for the cycling industry so many on here probably have no clue what you mean by "euro" when refering to you bb or "standard" when refering to mtb cranks.

-j
Old 09-24-13, 05:33 AM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a "euro bb" in the bmx world is a standard english threaded bottom bracket
Old 09-24-13, 05:40 AM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
They made sidekicks with both bsa-threaded "euro" shells and bmx-style "mid" shells. The OP probably has the latter, but got the nomenclature switched up. I do not know of a way to run traditional mtb cranks in a mid shell. Good luck.
Old 09-24-13, 11:37 AM
hounslow

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
It wont be mid, it will be a US BB. OP, get something like DMR 'Wonder Cups' (no longer made, but still might be available somewhere).
Old 09-24-13, 12:25 PM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Apparently Truvativ makes an adapter that converts some bb shells to work with a standard english threaded (Euro) bb. I am not familiar enough with BMX stuff to say whether their adapter would work with the OP's frame but here is a link to an install video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Swt6u8YrIY

-j
Old 09-24-13, 03:29 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greenfieldja
Apparently Truvativ makes an adapter that converts some bb shells to work with a standard english threaded (Euro) bb. I am not familiar enough with BMX stuff to say whether their adapter would work with the OP's frame but here is a link to an install video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Swt6u8YrIY

-j
It looks like the adapter should work. From what I can tell the "Mid" BB is simply a sealed bearing pressed into an American BB shell. https://www.danscomp.com/serve/produc...aringchart.htm

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 09-25-13 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 03:44 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hounslow isright; apparently, they did use american bb's on some sidekicks. As others have mentioned, truvativ and other manufacturers offer threaded adaptors for bsa.

1speedbiker, american bb's take pressfit cups @51mm in diameter, and the bearings fit into those cups. Mid bb's take the same size bearings as american bb's, but without the cups. The bearings fit directly into the bb shell. Most modern, quality bmx frames take mid bb's....and the truvativ american-to-bsa adaptor will not fit mid shells.
Old 09-24-13, 05:33 PM
MrLucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all, I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who replied you made my day! I didn't expect one reply let alone 7! I think I did get tbem switched up, its definetely a pressed fit bb, but I have 3 bmxs and the bb seems a lot larger in diameter than those. I can post a pic if that would help? And to be honest, I'm really npt quite sure which bb it is, so I don't know how to proceed lol. It doesn't seem to have any cups, just press fit bearings. thanks again!

EDIT: I'm pretty sure american bb is what I have now, except it seems to be one big piece instead of seperate cups. https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...der/amerbb.gif thats basically what I have, will post a real picture tommorow!

Last edited by MrLucky; 09-24-13 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 05:41 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
measure the diameter of the BB shell. If it's @51mm, it's American, and you're in luck. If it's @41mm, you're outta luck for converting to threaded BSA/english BBs, but there's about a million BMX cranks that will fit, and you can fit a spider to those and run multiple gears both front and rear if you so desire. If I had a sidekick, I'd prolly set it up with a bmx crank and a SS out back, but a 1x5 might be kinda rad, too.
Old 09-25-13, 01:40 AM
MrLucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
measure the diameter of the BB shell. If it's @51mm, it's American, and you're in luck. If it's @41mm, you're outta luck for converting to threaded BSA/english BBs, but there's about a million BMX cranks that will fit, and you can fit a spider to those and run multiple gears both front and rear if you so desire. If I had a sidekick, I'd prolly set it up with a bmx crank and a SS out back, but a 1x5 might be kinda rad, too.
Thanks will do, its definetely the bigger one. I live in thr uk though and the cheapest conversion kit I can find is £17 from the us with free shipping. If its that much, might as well get some decent bmx cranks, I mean I can pick up a pair of primo hollowbites used on pb for £50! Thanks for your help everyone, it just doesn't seem to be viable. And I'm deff going single speed, wouldn't have it any other way! I love the simplicity of it oh my
Old 09-25-13, 11:01 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hounslow isright; apparently, they did use american bb's on some sidekicks. As others have mentioned, truvativ and other manufacturers offer threaded adaptors for bsa.

1speedbiker, american bb's take pressfit cups @51mm in diameter, and the bearings fit into those cups. Mid bb's take the same size bearings as american bb's, but without the cups. The bearings fit directly into the bb shell. Most modern, quality bmx frames take mid bb's....and the truvativ american-to-bsa adaptor will not fit mid shells.
It would have been so much clearer for the danscomp description to say the "Mid BB’s use an American sized bearing that presses directly into the frame without the use of a cup,"; so the shell is 10mm smaller..
Old 09-26-13, 08:46 AM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mr.Lucky-- Now you're talkin'. Hollowbites will do you fine; be prepared to play with spacers and possibly a longer spindle, to dial in the chainline
with the wider rear hub.

1speedbiker- Agreed. Dan's is a great source for parts, but the info can be a bit dodgy. In the end, though, if your bike has a mid BB, you can use an american sized BB (but not a 1piece crank BB) and just leave the cups out. The bearings, spindle, and tube spacer should all work in the mid shell.
Old 09-26-13, 12:29 PM
MrLucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mr.Lucky-- Now you're talkin'. Hollowbites will do you fine; be prepared to play with spacers and possibly a longer spindle, to dial in the chainline
with the wider rear hub.
Haha cool, I was wondering, I want to use the sidekick for general extreme freeriding as uncomfortable as it may be, just a bit of fun XD but I was cycling around on it, and it was making a strange sound every revolution - the sprocket came loose. Due to the bmxs having only one small bolt holding the entire drivetrain, will they be okay for freeriding. I mean will they be as strong as "spider" cranks? Thanks!
Old 09-26-13, 04:33 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
ppl have used Profiles, with the same size sprocket bolt, for DH/Freeride applications, in the past. Seem like they're kinda passe in those circles now, although the splinedrive versions offer a lot of benefits in terms of strength and micro sprockets, so...

My gut is telling me that ppl use bmx-style cranks for bmx (obviously) and dirtjumping, and those disciplines put a lot of stress on the cranks. So, I'd think you'd do well with those...

OTOH, I don't do that sort of riding, so I can't really advise. But, if you're worried about that bolt, look into splinedrive-- as in, ask freeride guys about 'em. TBH, I'd worry more about using an american-to-euro adaptor for those applications (freeriding, etc..) than I would about the drivepin bolt.