Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Best disc brakes in value for money and performance?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 02:14 PM
MrLucky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't mind buying used. I managed to snag an avid elixir 1 rear brake for £20 on an impulse buy, thinking exlixir 1 is the top end haha. I can sell it, so that's not a problem. Should I keep it or get something better? I want to do freeriding, so need some seriously good brakes! Thanks
Old 09-26-13, 02:22 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
2013 Shimano XT are on closeout various places in the United States... don't know about UK. But 20 GBP, whoa. Not going to find much on that kind of budget.
Old 09-26-13, 03:50 PM
MrLucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
2013 Shimano XT are on closeout various places in the United States... don't know about UK. But 20 GBP, whoa. Not going to find much on that kind of budget.
What do you mean on close out? And haha thats not my budget, I just bought an avid elixir 1 for that much. I was wondering if I should get a better one or sell it? I don't mind spending more!
Old 09-26-13, 08:37 PM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if you have your heart set on hydraulic. But if not I suggest the avid bb7 or for a little less the bb5 is just as good minus a bit of adjustment the bb7 offers.
Old 09-26-13, 11:09 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
You got the Elixir cheap for a reason, either they work perfectly; or they don't, and no amount of work on them will ever get them to be good.

For best value in the UK, Shimano Deore M596 can picked up for £36 an end from CRC.

For hydraulic vs cable, in the UK, hydraulics are seen as the preferred option, the cost of cable is so close to hydraulic, that there is little to no point in having them, and most riders seem to use hydraulics on anything other than entry level bikes.
Old 09-27-13, 01:21 AM
MrLucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterK
I don't know if you have your heart set on hydraulic. But if not I suggest the avid bb7 or for a little less the bb5 is just as good minus a bit of adjustment the bb7 offers.
Bb5 sounds good thanks, will they be significantly better than the elixir 1s?
Old 09-27-13, 01:23 AM
MrLucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
You got the Elixir cheap for a reason, either they work perfectly; or they don't, and no amount of work on them will ever get them to be good.

For best value in the UK, Shimano Deore M596 can picked up for £36 an end from CRC.

For hydraulic vs cable, in the UK, hydraulics are seen as the preferred option, the cost of cable is so close to hydraulic, that there is little to no point in having them, and most riders seem to use hydraulics on anything other than entry level bikes.
Thanks I'll check out the shimano deores! And they're ex display, they were going really cheap on ebay, so I figured why not. Are the shimanos that good though compared to the avids? I mean I don't mind spending a bit more, I want to get some really decent brakes!
Old 09-27-13, 01:34 AM
jimc101

Avids can be hit an miss, get a good pair, they will be great, a bad one, will make you want to change, saying that, the new Elixir Trail brakes seem to have resolved all their issues, but at a cost.

Shimanos are currently probably the best value for money brakes available today (that goes for all of them, but especially the Deore), as with all bike products, the answer in 6 months time may be totally different. For the Deores, have had a pair of 596's for the last 6 months, and they are a lot better than the XT 775's they replaced in feel and stopping power.
Old 09-27-13, 03:07 AM
MrLucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Avids can be hit an miss, get a good pair, they will be great, a bad one, will make you want to change, saying that, the new Elixir Trail brakes seem to have resolved all their issues, but at a cost.

Shimanos are currently probably the best value for money brakes available today (that goes for all of them, but especially the Deore), as with all bike products, the answer in 6 months time may be totally different. For the Deores, have had a pair of 596's for the last 6 months, and they are a lot better than the XT 775's they replaced in feel and stopping power.
Hmm I'll probably just dump them then and go with the shimanos. Can I ask, apart from the size, does the disk rotor really matter? They all look really similair. The wheel I bought does come with one, Thanks!

Last edited by MrLucky; 09-27-13 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-27-13, 03:26 AM
jimc101

For rotor size bigger the rotor = more stopping power / heat dissipation (see her for some more explanation https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ar...or-size-37050/) , generally 160mm F/R or 180F160R = XC, 180mm F&R = AM, 203mm F&R = DH.

Would check the specs on your forks before getting the rotor, as a lot of more XC orientated forks have a max of 180mm, same with the frame as they can be designed for a max rotor size.

Also, make sure that the rotors are compatible with your hubs, most are 6 bolt, Shimano are generally centerlock.
Old 09-27-13, 05:43 AM
MrLucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For rotor size bigger the rotor = more stopping power / heat dissipation (see her for some more explanation https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ar...or-size-37050/) , generally 160mm F/R or 180F160R = XC, 180mm F&R = AM, 203mm F&R = DH.

Would check the specs on your forks before getting the rotor, as a lot of more XC orientated forks have a max of 180mm, same with the frame as they can be designed for a max rotor size.

Also, make sure that the rotors are compatible with your hubs, most are 6 bolt, Shimano are generally centerlock.
Thanks a lot for that, I'll prob go with the dh config, but I'm not sure about my frame. It's a DMR sidekick and the forks are marzocchi dj2s. Does it matter if I buy them used or should I just go new?

Last edited by MrLucky; 09-27-13 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-27-13, 05:47 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Running Shimano deore for two years now. Zero problems. Low cost, good performance, and they can use xt/xtr brake pads.
Old 09-27-13, 06:19 PM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my defense of referring a mechanical brake. I feel the simplicity makes up for whatever advangatge a hydro brake may offer. Ofcourse this may change in the case of dh or freeride where stoping/brake power is not something you want to take a chance on strength.
I do know a few guys who run mech disks on their djs and trails bikes with n problems. I ride a lot of xc so I also don't see much value in hyradulic over mech
Old 09-29-13, 10:30 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterK
In my defense of referring a mechanical brake. I feel the simplicity makes up for whatever advangatge a hydro brake may offer. Ofcourse this may change in the case of dh or freeride where stoping/brake power is not something you want to take a chance on strength.
I do know a few guys who run mech disks on their djs and trails bikes with n problems. I ride a lot of xc so I also don't see much value in hyradulic over mech
If you're planning on installing yourself and you're not a bike mechanic, sort of hoping to learn as you go, take the Avid BB7 recommendation seriously. Easy to install, can use your existing V brake levers, easy to adjust. Hydraulic takes a little more knowledge to install, certainly if you're an experienced mechanic, then hydraulics should be no problem. But you will have to change levers with hydraulics.
Old 10-14-13, 03:02 PM
MrLucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
If you're planning on installing yourself and you're not a bike mechanic, sort of hoping to learn as you go, take the Avid BB7 recommendation seriously. Easy to install, can use your existing V brake levers, easy to adjust. Hydraulic takes a little more knowledge to install, certainly if you're an experienced mechanic, then hydraulics should be no problem. But you will have to change levers with hydraulics.
Just installed my hydro disc perfectly with no problems, took about 20minutes and was much much easier than I expected
Old 10-14-13, 05:17 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
^^ As it should be. Very good.