Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Velobase is gone!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Velobase is gone!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-20, 01:18 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
DNS has finally updated, but might take a while to clear the old completely. If you are still encountering 404 errors, try a different browser or google how to flush your dns cache. Site is currently running an older version of the software from November for the moment, I'll get that updated shortly.
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 12-13-20, 02:01 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,612 Times in 1,765 Posts
Looks good from my side.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-14-20, 04:16 AM
kenhawkeye

Bikes: 1976, Alan Super Record, 1977 Bob Jackson, 1978 Viner Special Professional, 1978 Bianchi Super Corsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The site looks good here this morning from across the pond in the UK. Your blood, sweat and tears are very much appreciated
Old 06-01-21, 11:54 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
Copied from CR: I've tried several times over the last few weeks to add a new component (Atom 644 pedals) to VeloBase. I get error messages whenever I try. I get similar messages randomly when navigating through the site. I also noticed that there has been no new content added since November 2020. Are others having similar issues? I tried using both Chrome and Edge.
Old 06-01-21, 12:06 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Huh! I haven't thought about new content but I could successfully review early Nisi and Mavic rims a few days ago. And Ijust tried a login - success.
Old 06-01-21, 12:17 PM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Another data point:Followed a link to velobase yesterday and it didn't work, then a few minutes later it did after hitting Reload and Refresh a few times. Using Chrome on W10.
Old 06-01-21, 01:14 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

I just confirmed on Chrome that as soon as you select edit on a page you receive an application error message.
Old 06-01-21, 01:54 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
remove the s from https/ and you should get there
Old 06-01-21, 02:02 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Originally Posted by clubman
remove the s from https/ and you should get there
i tried logged in (incognito mode) but no luck.

Old 06-01-21, 02:58 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Just tried, worked for me. Browser showed a "not secure" setting, however. If you can't reach it, your security settings are preventing it.
Old 06-01-21, 03:26 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Desktop browsers are usually more flexible than phones.
Old 06-01-21, 05:14 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Originally Posted by clubman
Desktop browsers are usually more flexible than phones.
Most definitely. But the issue is that more users now access the internet on mobile vs desktop.
Old 06-01-21, 05:20 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by b dub
Most definitely. But the issue is that more users now access the internet on mobile vs desktop.
If you're on Android, try Epic browser for fun. It's chromium based and has a built in proxy and ad blocker.
Old 06-10-21, 06:53 AM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
There are some serious issues that are appearing and not being addressed. If you look at the dates on various submissions for new parts or updates on parts nothing with a date later than November of 2020 appear. I have the ability to add or update parts and I've been getting errors for quite some time now. Messages to VeloBase go unanswered. Sure wish if there are problems that the powers that be would make a general post for those logging in so we know if this will be a good updated source moving forward.

Velobase has been such a valuable asset and I've tried to maintain those areas that I have more expertise in, like Suntour components. Unfortunately I can no longer keep things up-to-date with new information due to the errors keeping me from doing so. I sure hope the administrator is OK. BTW, even checking for 'Announcements' on the site return and an error message - Bummer...
Old 06-10-21, 08:20 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Hey, if you're going to look a gift horse in the mouth, then go create your own, better one; and try maintaining it.
It's a decades-old labor of love, by a C&V aficionado (@cuda2k here) who hosts it on his own server (from what I understand). I assume that he has a life other than catering to the whining of the likes of us.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 06-10-21, 08:44 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Hey, if you're going to look a gift horse in the mouth, then go create your own, better one; and try maintaining it.
It's a decades-old labor of love, by a C&V aficionado (@cuda2k here) who hosts it on his own server (from what I understand). I assume that he has a life other than catering to the whining of the likes of us.
This, 1000%.

Database websites can be a nearly full-time job when problems arise. And problems WILL arise with a site as complex as Velobase.

-Kurt

Old 06-10-21, 09:14 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I donated to the cause last time I was on it. I suggest others do the same. That was yesterday, BTW.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-11-21, 10:19 AM
Don Buska

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Not sure if you were commenting to my post since I wasn't trying to 'dis' Velobase at all. That's why I added the second paragraph. I have submitted many Suntour catalogs which I scanned page-by-page and pdf'ed myself and have added and maintained many of the components on the site. It is indeed a labor of love for the host and for me many many hours of research and work to contribute to the accuracy and data offered on Velobase. A bit of labor of 'affection' for the site on my part. So I don't consider myself a free-rider on the site.

It has just been a bit frustrating as I have tried many times to add more information to this valuable site and have found no means to read about whats happening. It almost appears that it was abandon'ed since even my attempts to get any status off the site results in the error messages, including reviewing my own user status. Just frustration on my part as my attempts to give back to the community by providing more vintage bike information are no longer possible. I love Velobase!

Last edited by Don Buska; 06-11-21 at 10:24 AM.
Likes For Don Buska:
Old 06-11-21, 11:07 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Originally Posted by Don Buska
Not sure if you were commenting to my post since I wasn't trying to 'dis' Velobase at all. That's why I added the second paragraph. I have submitted many Suntour catalogs which I scanned page-by-page and pdf'ed myself and have added and maintained many of the components on the site. It is indeed a labor of love for the host and for me many many hours of research and work to contribute to the accuracy and data offered on Velobase. A bit of labor of 'affection' for the site on my part. So I don't consider myself a free-rider on the site.

It has just been a bit frustrating as I have tried many times to add more information to this valuable site and have found no means to read about whats happening. It almost appears that it was abandon'ed since even my attempts to get any status off the site results in the error messages, including reviewing my own user status. Just frustration on my part as my attempts to give back to the community by providing more vintage bike information are no longer possible. I love Velobase!
I completely agree with this. I don’t care about anything but complete and accurate information. The presentation more or less is irrelevant. But if the upload is broken that’s big.
Which is why it’s now being discussed on BF.
Old 06-11-21, 02:14 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Copied from CR: I've tried several times over the last few weeks to add a new component (Atom 644 pedals) to VeloBase. I get error messages whenever I try. I get similar messages randomly when navigating through the site. I also noticed that there has been no new content added since November 2020. Are others having similar issues? I tried using both Chrome and Edge.
Tagging @cuda2k since replies in threads don't often generate notifications like tags do.
Likes For tricky:
Old 06-11-21, 02:23 PM
Don Buska

I completely agree with this. I don’t care about anything but complete and accurate information. The presentation more or less is irrelevant. But if the upload is broken that’s big.
Which is why it’s now being discussed on BF.
Off Topic b dub, but I see your in Evanston. I'm just north of you across the border in K-Town. My favorite rides on my classics is the North Shore, usually from Lake Bluff down to your town. I try and do that ride several times each season and it's still my favorite. Always new things to discover down in your stomping grounds.
Likes For Don Buska:
Old 06-11-21, 04:00 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Look, you all know who he is, if you read my previous post (#40); nor does the web site disguise that. He has a "contact us" button that's prominent on the velobase home page, and he's apparently reachable by PM or email through this forum. If you have tried to make contact and he doesn't respond, then that's his prerogative. Maybe he's lost interest, and that's OK, it happens: C&V OD. Maybe he's tired of people telling him how he should make the website work better. The last time he logged in to BikeForums was in early January, and the last time he posted was in mid-December, when he notified people that he was changing or upgrading servers. So that's that. Good luck, and my best to him.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 07-04-21, 11:46 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Hey all, apologies for the site being in less than great shape as of late. A lot of things have happened since early-2020 that has kept my attention elsewhere. I get an hour or two here or there to work on things, but to be honest, I hadn't noticed that upload was broken until very recently. I'd started a major overhaul of the site just pre-covid, then there was several web hosting fiascos along the way that caused partial roll-backs of updates to both the site and the database, which caused me to lose some of the more recent attempts to keep spammers at bay, but it seems to have also broken some changes to the uploader that had gone undetected. Yesterday, I re-deployed a version of the site that I hope at least gets a few long-standing errors fixed, I'll have to check on the upload as I hadn't tested that specifically. And today, I also fixed an issue with the advanced search feature.

This morning, I dropped over $500 on a new 3-year web hosting package with a new provider and I'm in the process of starting to devise a plan to make the transfer to the new host in the next week or two. Once the site is on the new provider, I'll be doing a more robust testing pass to make sure everything is functional for users.
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 07-04-21, 11:51 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Okay, looks like the uploader that is out there right now is an older version that is indeed broken, I'll see what I can do about integrating the updated version I had started to work on for VeloBase 3.0 into the version 2.8.x that I can get out there right after the host transition.
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 07-04-21, 12:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Thank you cuda2k ! Love the site and all the hard work you put into it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.