Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Headset Expander Not Tightening

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-23, 03:01 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts

I took this expander bolt and expander from my Miche Primato 1" headset out of my steerer tube, and now, when I put it back in to re-tighten, the bolt at the headset cap just keeps spinning (no resistance). What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-05-23, 04:10 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Sounds like stripped threads.

You should be able to verify with the piece removed as in photo.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 05-05-23, 04:38 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,598 Times in 1,227 Posts
Can you thread it down until seated and then install and tighten?
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-05-23, 04:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
If the threaded cone isn't contacting the expanding band with enough force to keep it from rotating, when the bolt is turned, that cone can easily just spin with the bolt and no tightening will happen. Of course the cone's threads could be stripped but that usually has a "it sort of tightens but not enough to hold in place" feeling when turning the bolt. It also should be easy to watch the bolt thread in and out of the cone as well as look inside the cone's threads to be sure of their condition.

BTW I grease the cone and band's contact surfaces. Al loves to gall and stick to itself when under pressure. Andy
Old 05-06-23, 05:18 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

I have inspected, and the threads are not stripped, but they are binding. It is taking me some force for me to turn the compression bolt on the top cap against the wedge (holding the wedge with chan-l-locs), so that when I turn it in the steerer tube, it just spins with the wedge, instead of screwing down into it (to compress the spring). I have cleaned and re-greased the bolt and threaded section of the wedge. The bolt is still not turning as freely as is required. A bike shop got this headset installed, though, so I am wondering how they got the sleeve to expand.
Old 05-06-23, 06:02 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
That is not a very substantial steerer plug. 1” threadless designs I have seen never inspire much confidence. Designs that provide grip and expansion along their entire length eliminate a lot of the uncertainty.

I’m not familiar with the Miche Primato one shown but I am curious about the middle aluminum cup shaped piece. Is there any chance it needs to be reversed to allow the threaded wedge piece at the bottom to have more purchase? Another thought about that cup shaped piece is that the groove on it is for another O-ring. Any chance it had an O-ring originally?

Also, does your 1” threadless fork have a carbon or aluminum steer tube? You might be able to get the wedge pieces to stay put while tightening by applying some grip paste to the outside surfaces.

Last edited by masi61; 05-06-23 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-06-23, 08:39 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I have inspected, and the threads are not stripped, but they are binding. It is taking me some force for me to turn the compression bolt on the top cap against the wedge (holding the wedge with chan-l-locs), so that when I turn it in the steerer tube, it just spins with the wedge, instead of screwing down into it (to compress the spring). I have cleaned and re-greased the bolt and threaded section of the wedge. The bolt is still not turning as freely as is required. A bike shop got this headset installed, though, so I am wondering how they got the sleeve to expand.
This suggests that either the bolt or the threaded cone's threads are buggered up. Given the steel bolt and Al cone I guess the cone's threads. One could chase those threads with a tap (most likely a M6) to see if that helps.

We assume the steerer is a carbon one as otherwise a star nut would have been used. Andy
Old 05-06-23, 10:26 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This suggests that either the bolt or the threaded cone's threads are buggered up. Given the steel bolt and Al cone I guess the cone's threads. One could chase those threads with a tap (most likely a M6) to see if that helps.

We assume the steerer is a carbon one as otherwise a star nut would have been used. Andy
What you are saying makes sense. The steerer is steel and the fork is aluminum, a 1990's Moser-branded fork.
Old 05-06-23, 11:40 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
What you are saying makes sense. The steerer is steel and the fork is aluminum, a 1990's Moser-branded fork.
Then remove and toss the plug, install a star nut and don't look back. Andy
Old 05-06-23, 12:57 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Then remove and toss the plug, install a star nut and don't look back. Andy
You know, I didn't even think of that. Choice. Thanks, Andrew.