Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bicycle with Advent mtn system. double or single?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-23, 07:53 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

On one of my bicycles, I have installed an advent mtn bike system, 9 speed. The derailleur has a clutch option.

I wrecked it a few months ago. I am contemplating changing it from a double to a single. The advent system is actually not designed for a double chainring. I did damage the derailleur hanger of the system and I think it probably happened when I shifted the front chainring while the clutch was activated on the derailleur.

Anyways, so I've read a bit about single vs double. Single does result in more extreme angles for the chain, which doesn't really work well for a 9 speed. It works better on 11-12 speeds to be at more extreme angle because those are also thinner chains with more modern manufacturing techniques.

In my area I'm noting that I generally just keep my bicycles in the lower chainrings most of the time anyways. I mainly work to climb up hills and then I coast down hills. I'm not really using larger chainrings that much because the area is so hilly.
Old 06-13-23, 07:30 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
so you're worrying about problems that haven't happened, and most likely, Won't happen.

good luck.

you have nothing to fear, except fear itself.
Likes For maddog34: