Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy PowerTorque crank bearing dust cap question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 05:44 PM
Aero-X

Bikes: Factor 02, Canyon Ultimate, CAAD12, Langster SP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi guys,

I recently bought a CP 10spd PowerTorque Veloce compact cranks off Craigslist. The drive side bear on the crank initially felt very tight, would not spinning freely. So I thought I got a worn bearing and replaced it. The new bearing went in no issue. It spins freely without the dust cap. But after checking the CP PowerTorque assembly drawing, it seems there's a cap/washer of some sort on both sides behind the bearing(FC-AT012).

I also watched couple of Park Tool CPB-3 bearing puller and setter videos on youtube. It seems that there's no dust cap between the bearing and the base. When you hammer the bearing into the base, you suppose to hear the metal on metal bang and that's when you know the bearing is properly seated. But if there's a dust cap, the bearing would not seat properly, would it? What's more confusing to me is that the brand new bearing set I bought only came one dust cap which seems to go on the left/non drive side.

The one came with my Veloce also is smaller than the one came with the new bearing. All too confusing to me. Dust cap, or no dust cap on drive side? Thoughts?

Thank you!

Shaun

Old 08-05-23, 07:08 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
the inner seals on these are not very good. there's that inner thing that is not much more than a rubber band.

don't ride in wet weather and repack every year

thanks for including the pics

/markp