Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacement suggestions for Shimano Positron FH?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 08:50 AM
addaduuuu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey guys, i use this old bike to commute. rides well, is very practical so no complaints there, but it does have a shimano positron fh rear derailleur, and i was told that i'd be better off replacing the whole thing should it break. it still works fine, but if anyone has any suggestions for replacements in the event that it stops working, that'd be much appreciated. Also, i'm not really up on the technical lingo, so what are a couple key terms that'd help my in my search? tried to attach below a pic thinking it'd help but the website told me I cant since i just made my account lmao
Old 02-29-24, 09:22 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
You can put pictures in a gallery associated with your user account. Let us know when you do, and other people can link to them here.
Old 02-29-24, 09:52 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Positron ders were pretty low grade in the Shimano playbook. Still they can and do work well for their design and grade of fabricating. They are subject to the same der damaging incidents like getting caught up in the spokes and stuff but by far the most common issue with them is cable related, or perhaps I should say rod related as some versions did away with the looped push/pull cable for a solid "rod" (contained in it's specific casing) that can both push and pull. These control cables/rods are few and far between these days and when they go bad replacing the der, cable and lever is the usual fix. There are bike shops with replacement Positron parts still on their shelves but good luck finding them. Remember that there were at least three different versions of Positron ders and that parts are not all interchangeable between the versions.

When replacing the rear der one needs to know how it is attached to the frame, what the max and min cog tooth counts it will work under, any lever or cog set compatibility (as is the case with modern indexed systems) needs (which if all are bought at the same time the seller should be able to advise), how the control cable is routed and what casing is needed (again, more indexing specific). As long as the replacement der is compatible with the cog set (likely a freewheel on this bike) the old cogs and chain should still be useable (assuming they're not worn out of also damaged). Andy
Old 02-29-24, 10:21 AM
addaduuuu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
You can put pictures in a gallery associated with your user account. Let us know when you do, and other people can link to them here.
alright i just posted the pics i took on imgur, search up verbatim "for da guys on bike forum" and you should find it. username is the same as here but with 3 less u's on the end. if you'd rather me post it somewhere else or you'd like more just let me know
Old 02-29-24, 10:34 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,598 Times in 1,227 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/32859915

Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-29-24, 10:37 AM
addaduuuu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh yeah, by replace i forgot to specify that it'll just need a whole different derailleur all together, not necessarily one of the same type. sorry if that caused some confusion!
Old 02-29-24, 10:50 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,598 Times in 1,227 Posts
A nice Suntour GT with a claw mount.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-29-24, 10:55 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,165 Times in 1,324 Posts
Or a Suntour Cyclone. There has to be millions out there. A pretty universal friction RD that is built like a tank.

John
Old 02-29-24, 01:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Personally I would chose to take advantage of 40+ years of development and patents expiring and get a Shimano Acera/Altus with a hanger plate (the old Positron's is welded to the shaft of the top pivot). Simple friction shifter cost pretty little and open up all kinds of interchangeability. If one really wanted indexed shifting to be retained then matching each part to the "standard" will be needed and very possibly more parts will get replaced in that process.

Thankfully this bike isn't also a FFS one Andy
Old 02-29-24, 05:53 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Attached is a link to the instructions for the SL-P213, which appears to be the correct shifter.

SI-N-88-000-00-ENG_GER_FRA_DUT_ITA.pdf (shimano.com)

These early index shifters used a unique RD that controlled the movement of the RD. They also use a pull/push action of the shifter/cable to assist the RD springs.
To maintain index function, all components were required.

An excerpt from the instructions of the RD index.

Old 03-01-24, 04:18 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 337 Posts
That derailleur is a claw mount. You can get another like it, or get just the claw part to fit under the axle nut and mount any "direct mount" derailleur. My guess is you are on a budget. Shimano Tourney is available with an integral claw mount for about $14 new and works amazingly well for the price. It has a longer cage (swinging arm, so capacity) than yours but you have plenty of room so would be fine. Works for 6/7 speed but would also work for a 5-speed freewheel:

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Tourn...dp/B0052KDG4U/

Amazon item indicates it is an SGS cage length, that would be long, but my personal experience is that the Tourney is GS length which is "mid". Your bike I think has a "short" cage.

The Tourney (nor ANY modern derailleur) has no indexing ("click-shifting") in the derailleur, all modern indexing is in the shift lever or grip-shift.

Last time I heard the word positron was when I had a brain PET scan, Positron Emission Tomography.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 03-01-24 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-01-24, 08:47 AM
addaduuuu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alright thanks a bunch guys! hopefully won't need to make use of this for a while, but it never hurts to be prepared haha