Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mechanical disc vs rim brake for crit racing?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: What is better for Crit racing
Mechanical disc is better
20.00%
Rim brake is better
80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-23, 05:15 AM
maxants33

Bikes: Caliber Astronut, On One Scandal 29er, Trek Procaliber 9, Vitus Energie CRX, Kinesis Athiene, Specialized Singlecross, Pashley Roadking, Bridgstone w/ Xtracycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I love my crit bike (kinesis Aithein - rim brake). Its super light and I have a great carbon Campag Athena groupset.

I picked up a cheap Kinesis disc fork on eBay - my plan is to put a mechanical disk on the front (keep the frame with a rear rim brake).
It might look a bit funny, but I have all the parts sitting in my part bin, so a front disc addition would be a cheap upgrade. Going mechanical also means I can keep the sweet Athena groupset.

However - has anyone tried mechanical discs in the twisty hairpin context of a crit circuit? I just got back from a holiday and used loads of rental bikes and was really surprised by the poor modulation on the mechanical discs. Would a mechanical disc be any better than a rim brake?

I might try do a side by side comparison, as it wont be too much work to do the swap from rim to disc, and I will report here after!

(btw: hydraulics is not an option, keen to keep my crit bike rolling for minimal cost)
Old 03-15-23, 06:48 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Surprised to hear that brakes are such a concern for crits! There are only a handful of currently active racers on BF. If they don't respond here, try the 33.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-15-23, 06:59 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
Either will work well depending on how they are set up, maintained and the conditions of the day. Brakes often see little maintenance...rim brake pads can dry out and are often glazed...disk brake pads are never cleaned and get a build up of dust, dirt, etc. that can affect effectiveness.
I'd prefer disk because they work as well in the wet as dry compared to rim brakes which lose 'bite' when the rim and pad become wet.
I raced through the '80's and '90's on rim brakes and had no problems except when racing in the rain...brakes lose grip so you have to pay a lot more attention to what is going on around you.
That's all I got...take care of your brakes and they will take care of you...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 03-15-23, 07:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
In my experience---which does NOT include racing---mech discs are no better or worse than mech rim brakes of whatever variety. I wouldn't make any changes to a bike which works well if it were not going to be an improvement.

If you ride crits in the wet .... you are nuts, but maybe you might see some benefit. In the dry .... not so sure.

I second the idea to ask the dedicated racers.
Old 03-15-23, 08:21 AM
maxants33

Bikes: Caliber Astronut, On One Scandal 29er, Trek Procaliber 9, Vitus Energie CRX, Kinesis Athiene, Specialized Singlecross, Pashley Roadking, Bridgstone w/ Xtracycle

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Surprised to hear that brakes are such a concern for crits! There are only a handful of currently active racers on BF. If they don't respond here, try the 33.
Now I am asking myself the same thing... I watched video on GCN about discs and improved cornering, and recall others at crit training last year saying similar things. I mostly mountain bike, so discs are naturally the default for me. More disc = more gooder?
However - was just watching rad race and red hook videos - and obviously - no brakes. I am assuming fixed gear though you are using back pedalling resistance for some speed modulation?
I actually used to practice my cornering on the Herne Hill cyclocross course by doing several progressively faster laps - without touching the brakes .This was extremely beneficial for homing technique!

Does anyone know if there is a way to move my question to 'the 33'?
Old 03-15-23, 10:38 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
If you're braking so hard into corners during a crit race that the stopping power of disc vs. rim is a factor, you're doing something wrong.
Old 03-15-23, 11:00 AM
maxants33

Originally Posted by msu2001la
If you're braking so hard into corners during a crit race that the stopping power of disc vs. rim is a factor, you're doing something wrong.
Oh yea, naturally - but my interest in discs really came from improved modulation - not stopping power.
I have rim brakes on my crit and commuter bikes - I find they don't do that much when lightly touched, not having any effect on speed until the lever force is a bit higher - when they start to dramatically cut the speed. This to me is not great modulation, at least when compared to my CX and mountain bike hydraulics (shimano SLX and Sram Rival) which have fantastically fine grained modulation by comparison.

I also really like the way on hydraulic discs I can make fine adjustments to speed with minimal hand strength, allowing me to worry less about hand position and how much weight I am putting through the bars, instead of concentrating on putting my hand into the best position for hard squeezing.

I haven't had a good stint on mechanical discs for a long time. So unsure if they have that modulation any better than rim brakes. My holiday rental bikes were mechanical discs, but no name single piston ones. I have a spare flat mount TRP spyre, so expecting better things!
Old 03-15-23, 11:00 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
one of the GCN racers (a high level junior?) is still racing a rim brake bike. Did you see the video about it?
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 03-15-23, 11:01 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Discs don’t provide any benefit in a criterium. As msu2001la said, if you’re having to brake hard into a corner, you’re doing it wrong. I actually open up my front caliper for crits because I want less front braking—I don’t want to accidentally lock up my front wheel if I panic grab my brakes. That’s a sure way to take yourself and everyone around you down.

Plus, you’ll make your front end heavier, possibly affecting handling. You’ll have to get a new front wheel and left lever too. This doesn’t seem to offer any benefit.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-15-23, 11:09 AM
maxants33

Also - crit training near me re-starts in April - So I'll definitely do a few classes with the flexy Campag rim brakes, then probably a few with the TRP spyre - and report any differences!
I'm super interested to test this... I have all the parts spare, so nothing needs to be purchased. Only thing is the effort in doing the swap

Last edited by maxants33; 03-15-23 at 11:23 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-15-23, 11:31 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Notice that as long as disc brakes have been around, they didn't become commonplace in pro racing until a few years ago. Pro racers don't like them, didn't want them, and they held out as long as they could. The only reason TDF bikes (for example) have disc brakes is because that's what the sponsors are selling to the consumer market.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 03-15-23, 11:34 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by maxants33
Oh yea, naturally - but my interest in discs really came from improved modulation - not stopping power.
Try some different pads.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 03-15-23, 11:41 AM
maxants33

Interesting to see the firm support for rim brakes. I definitely like rim brakes and lament their decreasing presence from the bike market. Would be cool to keep my bike sub 7kg, Pretty sure the mechanical disc would tip it over!
Likes For maxants33:
Old 03-15-23, 12:08 PM
TheSilverFox

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit, GT Avalanche, Trek Domane, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
There is zero advantage to change to mechanical disk from rim brake. Mechanical disk just doesn’t work as well. Unless it’s something you’ve really wanted to try I’d pass
Likes For TheSilverFox:
Old 03-15-23, 12:09 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Would compressionless cable housing improve modulation on your rim brakes? I know quite a few people using compressionless housing on cable disc brakes to improve brake feel. If I was strictly racing and my courses didn't have any descents with tight switch backs, I'd want the lightest setup possible.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 03-15-23, 12:26 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
My bike with the best braking performance is my RB-1 with circa 2016-ish Ksyrium Elite wheels and Shimano Ultegra brakes. I have to be careful using the front brake it's so strong. I have many disc brake bikes, hydraulic and mechanical.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 03-15-23, 12:40 PM
maxants33

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
My bike with the best braking performance is my RB-1 with circa 2016-ish Ksyrium Elite wheels and Shimano Ultegra brakes. I have to be careful using the front brake it's so strong. I have many disc brake bikes, hydraulic and mechanical.
Thats a good point - I had 105 rim brakes before and they were pretty good. The Athena calipers are definitely a bit flexy, but so light. I could upgrade the caliper and also try the compressionless hose.

But I haven't done a crit since last summer. Think I'll definitely ride a bit once it restarts before any medalling.
Old 03-15-23, 12:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
Same. I have Ultegra calipers on my race bike (2016 Specialized Tarmac). I can lock up both wheels with one finger--brakes aren't the limiting factor, it's the tires. Get some decent pads. I like the blue Reynolds pads for both my carbon race wheels and my alloy training wheels. Just make sure you swap out pad sets when you swap your wheels. It takes 5 minutes at most.

One more advantage to keeping your rim brake wheels is that when your buddies succumb to the disc fad, they'll be looking to sell off their rim brake wheels. I've picked up a few pairs of really excellent wheels for a song.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-15-23, 12:54 PM
maxants33

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Try some different pads.
I've got swiss stop (flash pro) on there. Which I'm sure are good. But the same set has been on there since 2019. I just use the bike for crits in the summer, so they've lasted a long time. But do swiss stops dry out?
Old 03-15-23, 01:29 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Same. I have Ultegra calipers on my race bike (2016 Specialized Tarmac). I can lock up both wheels with one finger--brakes aren't the limiting factor, it's the tires. Get some decent pads. I like the blue Reynolds pads for both my carbon race wheels and my alloy training wheels. Just make sure you swap out pad sets when you swap your wheels. It takes 5 minutes at most.

One more advantage to keeping your rim brake wheels is that when your buddies succumb to the disc fad, they'll be looking to sell off their rim brake wheels. I've picked up a few pairs of really excellent wheels for a song.
Speaking of which, I've got some rim brake tubular wheels collecting dust in my basement right now... I should see if I can unload them soon.
The CX rim brake market is nearing "can't-give-them-away" status.
Old 03-15-23, 04:40 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
As previously set out, there’s just no need or advantage in a crit.

And while the importance of rotating weight is way overstated, there is a slight disadvantage to accelerating the bit of extra weight associated with discs out of every turn. Admittedly it’s a very small effect, but add up the effect over 100 plus turns, and I’d wager the downside is more significant than advantage in improved modulation.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 03-15-23, 04:48 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 646 Posts
Rim brakes for me, the Shimano Dura Ace BR 7800 offers phenomenal power. Even my campy Delta 5th generation brakes work quite well.
Likes For georges1:
Old 03-15-23, 05:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Notice that as long as disc brakes have been around, they didn't become commonplace in pro racing until a few years ago. Pro racers don't like them, didn't want them, and they held out as long as they could. The only reason TDF bikes (for example) have disc brakes is because that's what the sponsors are selling to the consumer market.
Yawn.
Old 03-15-23, 05:56 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I didn't read the thread, but if you have to brake to the point where it may make a difference, you are doing it wrong. If you want to put spare wheels in the pit, you probably want rim brakes.
Old 03-15-23, 06:00 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
if you're braking so hard into corners during a crit race that the stopping power of disc vs. Rim is a factor, you're doing something wrong.
Originally Posted by caloso
if you’re having to brake hard into a corner, you’re doing it wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.