Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Noticed a trend.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Noticed a trend.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 02:20 PM
depshop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
This is so true. I've noticed it in myself. When I lived in the big city and sat in an 1-2 hrs of traffic to and from work every day I was completely miserable.
Old 08-24-18, 03:22 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I don't know if I am smiling when I'm riding my bike to work in the morning. I might just be too focused on the road/traffic to be smiling. But I do know this: I am often annoyed at stop lights when I'm behind the wheel of a car. On a bike it doesn't bother me one bit. In fact, sometimes I welcome the break.
I ride with a one-handed stainless steel thermos; stop lights are my coffee breaks and chatting moments with other bicyclists.

I don't smile at all bikers, but today at a stop I couldn't help smiling at a cyclist who was crossing with a cute little toddler in her handle-bar mounted baby seat. She smiled back and blew me a kiss as she passed; doesn't get much better than that in the city.
Old 09-23-18, 10:33 AM
captronk

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Traverse,

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cars just plain suck and make my life miserable. Bikes will at least give you good exercise!
Old 09-24-18, 01:07 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I'm on the jog 5km in morning along with seaside and then cycle into work schedule except for days like today when we're at the other house (not at the seaside.)

I find the joggers much more friendly as we're spoiled by the seaside.

The cyclists are always in a rush.

Drivers are very polite, which surprised me but always in a rush.
Old 09-24-18, 01:30 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I think people who commute by bike out of choice generally have a more pleasant personality. I think that's true with exercise over all.
Old 10-02-18, 07:17 PM
grout

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm definitely happier when I get to ride to work. With yoing kids I barely ride at all so get only about one ride a week to/from work and cherish those rides. Heat, cold and rain don't bother me at all. It also helps that my 15km commute is almost all multi-use path through woods and fields. Not sure I'd be so happy riding through downtown.
Old 10-02-18, 07:48 PM
Oldbikeride

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
As a person that loves anything on wheels I am seeing alot of generalizations being made about people looking miserable driving to work vs riding a bike. Next time you see someone driving their classic car, their motorcycle, their sportscar etc, take a look. I believe that most of these people are very happy.
Old 10-03-18, 07:50 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Noticed a trend
Originally Posted by crazyravr
People commuting by bike in the morning are always smiling. Always waving and saying hello / good morning to each other.

People commuting by car in the morning are hardly ever smiling. Always mad at something, always in a rush to get somewhere, trying not to make eye contact
I have even noticed this about myself, hence I made a decision to commute by bike as much as I can this year. Even go me a dedicated bike to do so. Now there are no excuses hahaha. Already looking forward to a ride back home, despite the rain / t-storms in the forecast.
I have posted previously about the car-bike commuter dichotomy to this similar thread, below, with the following comments elsewhere:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"People who commute by car are less happy and less healthy than the rest of us"

Many years ago, early in my cycling lifestyle, I heard a lecture by a psychiatrist who said that in experimental (animal) studies of stress, immobilization was the most powerful stressor. I immediately extrapolated that concept to realize that confinement in an automobile was society’s most common form of immobilization. Even when cruising along on a freeway, the driver is still immobilized, and it becomes more acute when in a traffic jam.

The bus, followed by the train, offer more freedom of movement, but walking and cycling allow essentially total freedom of movement.

Since automobile commuting is such a prolonged daily, and life-long activity, I would attribute a lot of the morbidity of civilization to that incessant stressor. Perhaps scientific, maybe not, but certainly makes sense to me.
I once posted a graph to compare my three modalities of commuting:
And I cycle a nice distance of at least 14 miles through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park) in the reverse commuter direction early in the morning, during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons.

For training purposes, I can expand my routes to encompass popular high-level cycling outer suburbs
And I have equally pleasant driving and mass transit alternatives…Sometime ago I tried to schematically diagram the comparisons between my three transportation modes:

Overall Satisfaction:
BIKE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TRAIN>>>CAR

Intensity of Focus:
BIKE>>>CAR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TRAIN

Convenience:
CAR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BIKE>>TRAIN
I often tout Boston as the epitome of LCF/LCL [Living Car Free / Car Light] in America, not to brag, but illustrate the possibilities

Location, location, location

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-03-18 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-03-18, 08:16 AM
KraneXL

Thanks for the vertigo JFB.
Old 10-03-18, 08:29 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Thanks for the vertigo JFB.
You’re welcome. I am an Artiste, a.k.a. James de Boston.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Jim from somewhere between New Jersey and Vermont gave us a post which is more than one foot long...

The rest of you just need to surrender and bow down.
Originally Posted by ksryder
Wow. That is masterful. I've always thought it was just self-indulgent and convoluted, but now I see that they are really performance art.

Bravo, sir. Bravo.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-03-18 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-03-18, 01:16 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldbikeride
As a person that loves anything on wheels I am seeing alot of generalizations being made about people looking miserable driving to work vs riding a bike. Next time you see someone driving their classic car, their motorcycle, their sportscar etc, take a look. I believe that most of these people are very happy.
the observation of miserable motorists is probably a bit dependant on where one lives.

here in chicago, i can guarantee you that no one stuck in this city's ridiculous rush hour traffic is happy, regardless of their motor vehicle of choice.

when it can take up to 5 minutes just to get through one freaking traffic light, everyone gets pissed off.

recently it took me 15 minutes to drive a 1/2 mile. most people can literally walk faster than that.

being stuck with no option of escape is a horrible feeling. no one likes that.

that's what being stuck in big city gridlock traffic feels like.

thank god i bike commute the vast majority of time.

it's not about the car (or motorcycle), it's the insufferable traffic.

in places without such soul-crushing rush hour traffic, i can imagine that the gearhead cruising to work in his restored vintage corvette is probably enjoying himself.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 10-03-18 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-03-18, 01:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
So true, Steely Dan. A coworker once asked me if I hated driving. Nope, as a matter of fact, I love driving. But I hate sitting in traffic, inching from light to light.
Old 10-04-18, 09:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Noticed a trendI have posted previously about the car-bike commuter dichotomy to this similar thread, below, with the following comments elsewhere:

I gave up trying to figure this post out after the 5th read thru.
Old 10-04-18, 10:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I think people who commute by bike out of choice generally have a more pleasant personality. I think that's true with exercise over all.
Is that nurture or nature? In other words, do nice people choose to bike commute, or does bike commuting make people nicer?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-04-18, 11:13 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by noglider
Is that nurture or nature? In other words, do nice people choose to bike commute, or does bike commuting make people nicer?
Definitely the former. It is the culmination of all your experiences that lead people to choose cycling as apposed to other forms of mobility, so your character is usually developed before hand.

That said, the cycling community comes in many forms and levels and divisions. Some cyclist are in it purely for the sport, while others do it out of necessity or as a form of environmental activism. Nevertheless, I think the majority of people cycle purely as a form of transportation -- its just easier than walking -- in which case there is no distinguishable generalized mindset.

Incidentally, because this is a BF website I use the term cyclist as a general descriptor. However, outside of this forum I would only apply that term to those that cycle purely for sport.

Last edited by KraneXL; 10-04-18 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 12:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Funny you should mention community. I went to a screening of a video that a grad student made as her thesis project. She was staying in the US as part of the project. She's from Denmark and is back there now. Her project was about cycling culture. In Denmark, that term makes no sense, because cycling is such an ordinary thing to do. It's like saying clothes-wearing culture. I think she captured NYC cycling culture beautifully, but I wonder how it comes off in Denmark.

Since so many use bikes for transportation here in NYC, I would say something like, "The cyclist waited at the red light," without regard for the person's reason for cycling.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-04-18, 12:29 PM
Jim from Boston

"Noticed a trend"

I have posted previously about the car-bike commuter dichotomy to this similar thread, below, with the following comments elsewhere:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I gave up trying to figure this post out after the 5th read thru.
Thanks for your persistance. FWIW, if interested I dissected it out:
People commuting by bike in the morning are always smiling...

People commuting by car in the morning are hardly ever smiling. Always mad at something...
I have posted previously about the car-bike commuter dichotomy to this similar thread…:
"People who commute by car are less happy and less healthy than the rest of us"

Many years ago, early in my cycling lifestyle, I heard a lecture by a psychiatrist who said that in experimental (animal) studies of stress, immobilization was the most powerful stressor.

I immediately extrapolated that concept to realize that confinement in an automobile was society’s most common form of immobilization. Even when cruising along on a freeway, the driver is still immobilized, and it becomes more acute when in a traffic jam.

The bus, followed by the train, offer more freedom of movement, but walking and cycling allow essentially total freedom of movement.

Since automobile commuting is such a prolonged daily, and life-long activity, I would attribute a lot of the morbidity of civilization to that incessant stressor. Perhaps scientific, maybe not, but certainly makes sense to me.
Everything else is just personal commentary about my situation.
Old 10-04-18, 12:37 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Everything else is just personal commentary about my situation.
As a person who grew up in the Boston area, and would love to move back every time I visit, I greatly enjoy your commentary.
Old 10-05-18, 04:17 AM
Jim from Boston

...Everything else is just personal commentary about my situation.
Originally Posted by acidfast7
As a person who grew up in the Boston area, and would love to move back every time I visit, I greatly enjoy your commentary.
Hi @acidfast7,

Thanks for that nice reply. I profusely post about living and cycling in Boston, especially as a native of Detroit. I did note your recent posts about urban transportation:
Well as a person who has lived under both conditions (where the teams [sic have stayed in place since their origin and where they've been removed and replaced by auto and/or bus), it's simply superior to live in the former. I don't see any advantage by removing existing tram lines. Most cities run buses in the same physical space.

What suggested benefit am I missing.

Leave my country of birth out of the discussion as it's materially irrelevant.
I'm actually comparing the Northeast city metro areas to the major English cities that are somewhat similar in age and density. England and the Northeast megopolois are almost identical in size and density.

I'm using England as the control group.
The only transit line abandoned here I know of is the “A” spur of the Green Line. In Detroit, I have an early memory of riding an electric bus, long abandoned, as has much of the fixed transit system.

I’ve not been to Europe, but Boston has been called a European-style city, particularly London I imagine. Here in North America, I have found Toronto, ON a virtual sister city to Boston, with a superior transit system as is Montreal. Washington DC is also very good.

In my experience. I find NYC too overwhelming for comparson. I am aware of a book that has contrasted Boston and Philadelphia, “
Puritan Boston and Quaker Philadelphia: Two Protestant Ethics and the Spirit of Class Authority and Leadership.”

When we left Detroit to cycle across America from LA to move to Boston, I distinctly recall chatting with someone out West about the Northeast Megopolis, still a terra incognita to us. He was disdainful about it, except that it was nice in New England and further north.

So if you get to Boston sometime, feel free to look me up. I have extended an open invitation on Bike Forums:
…Please feel free to PM me for any details. I really enjoy showing visitors around Boston on informal walking tours [or bike rides], and I would offer that to a fellow BF subscriber, but I'm a pretty busy person, and would need a heads up to see if I'm available at a mutually agreeable time.
It would be interesting to read of your Boston experiences. BTW, what does CPH mean in your location?

I continue to read your posts whenever I encounter them.

Jim

PS: Regarding the OP of this thread:
People commuting by bike in the morning are always smiling...

People commuting by car in the morning are hardly ever smiling. Always mad at something...
Why are the relatively Car Free / Car Lite denizens of the Northeast generally regarded as cold and distant, while the autocentric citizens of the Midwest and West as laidback and friendly?

I think it's the congestion, and that's why Northeasterners are also considered worse drivers. .

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-05-18 at 06:12 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 10-05-18, 05:22 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Hi!

I grew up in Boston metro area (southern Maine) ... they finally have a Downeaster and have also lived in Northern Maine, rural Texas, Palm Beach FL, upstate NY and one other place I forget. Over here, it's been Stockholm, Copenhagen (CPH), Frankfurt, Newcastle and southeast England (coastal London commuter belt).

I find your opinions well founded unlike some of the others around here.

Boston is a great place and I am somewhat tempted to move back but it would really have to be the right position with the right wage as I'm quite comfortable over here (and would have take a chance on a chair in Asia (Chengdu, China would be a prime example) rather than in the US again).

Never know what life has in store though.
Old 10-05-18, 05:58 AM
Jim from Boston

Hi!

I grew up in Boston metro area (southern Maine)...

I find your opinions well founded unlike some of the others around here...

Never know what life has in store though.
"Nuff said..."Say no more."

See my PM.
Old 10-06-18, 07:11 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
When faced with frustration, stomping on a bicycle pedal is so much more satisfying and productive than stomping on a gas pedal.
Old 10-17-18, 12:17 PM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been commuting by bicycle and riding almost everywhere since the early 2000s. I'm almost never in a car at this point and have gotten really bad at suffering through being in them. I have now done almost everything via bicycle in three different locations, from major U.S. city to suburbs of a small city, to a moderately sized southern city. Wish more people would commit to it, but oh well. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ha, I love catching an aggressive motorist who has endangered me and asking, "Are you in a rush?" Yeah, well. It's not my fault. Leave earlier, you clown.
Old 10-17-18, 04:04 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
So true, Steely Dan. A coworker once asked me if I hated driving. Nope, as a matter of fact, I love driving. But I hate sitting in traffic, inching from light to light.
That's one of the reasons I sold my motorcycle.
Old 10-17-18, 06:41 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
People commuting by bike in the morning are always smiling. Always waving and saying hello / good morning to each other.
People commuting by car in the morning are hardly ever smiling. Always mad at something, always in a rush to get somewhere, trying not to make eye contact.
I have even noticed this about myself, hence I made a decision to commute by bike as much as I can this year. Even go me a dedicated bike to do so. Now there are no excuses hahaha. Already looking forward to a ride back home, despite the rain / t-storms in the forecast.
Yea, it used to be like that on motorbikes too... Now nobody waves at anybody because there are just too many people to wave at...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.