Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need Advice on Refinishing a Frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 01:44 PM
byscott

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

I’ve had a frame hanging on my garage wall for years. It’s a Falcon San Remo that I bought when I was in college in the mid 70’s. I rode a lot of miles on it through the early 80’s; I was pretty strong back then, so the 531 straight gauge suited me. I retired the bike in favor of an aluminum Cannondale, but never parted with it.

Lately I’ve been thinking about rebuilding it with some of the stuff I have lying around. The first step would be to restore some semblance of the original Falcon colors, which were primarily powder blue with (I think) contrasting paint on the head and bottom-bracket lugs.

Here’s my question ... what’s the current state of the art in repainting a frame? I had figured I’d have to hand strip it, hit it with a couple coats of self-etching primer, then go from there. Is that the best way to go? Are chemical strippers or sandblasting an option? I’d appreciate any advice ... TIA.
Old 07-04-18, 02:07 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 103 Posts
How bad is the current paint job?
Old 07-04-18, 02:37 PM
byscott

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by satbuilder
How bad is the current paint job?
Meh. Rattle can gloss black, little or no surface rust. The frame is pretty good, just ugly.
Old 07-04-18, 02:45 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I generally shave as much paint off with a single edge razor blade as I can, the wire brush. I have a sandblaster but no booth and it's way to messy for me. I will use chemical strippers on those hard to reach places like the seat lug and bottom bracket, but that's it - again too messy. Following that, I just repair any dings, add braze-ons maybe, and then file ugly parts (all frames seem to have blobs of brazing filler left during manufacturing), finally a good sanding. Painting is something that needs a different thread.
Old 07-04-18, 02:55 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
All depends on how much you want to spend. Media blasting should only be done by someone who paints/powder coats bike frames. I've got a guy who will do it for $40 who does powder coating of bikes.
@Hoopdriver's method sounds as good as you need. Dings can be filled with JB weld, let it set overnight, then carefully file/sand it round.
Old 07-04-18, 03:43 PM
John HP

Bikes: 1998 Marinoni Leggero, 1988 Tommasini Super Prestige, 2018 Holdsworth Competition, 1996-ish Redline Cross Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
How difficult is it to media blast a frame but not touch the chrome on seat/chainstays? Just mask it off maybe?
Old 07-04-18, 05:40 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by John HP
How difficult is it to media blast a frame but not touch the chrome on seat/chainstays? Just mask it off maybe?
Yep, just mask well. Look up soda blasting.
Old 07-05-18, 12:25 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 453 Posts
Birds Of A Feather?

Originally Posted by byscott
I’ve had a frame hanging on my garage wall for years. It’s a Falcon San Remo that I bought when I was in college in the mid 70’s. I rode a lot of miles on it through the early 80’s; I was pretty strong back then, so the 531 straight gauge suited me. I retired the bike in favor of an aluminum Cannondale, but never parted with it.

Lately I’ve been thinking about rebuilding it with some of the stuff I have lying around. The first step would be to restore some semblance of the original Falcon colors, which were primarily powder blue with (I think) contrasting paint on the head and bottom-bracket lugs.

Here’s my question ... what’s the current state of the art in repainting a frame? I had figured I’d have to hand strip it, hit it with a couple coats of self-etching primer, then go from there. Is that the best way to go? Are chemical strippers or sandblasting an option? I’d appreciate any advice ... TIA.

As I very recently acquired a Falcon San Remo Straight/Plain gauge 531 with Reynolds 531 forks, I may be able to provide reference information if you're interested in restoring your Falcon? It's in essentially original condition, and probably is a 1972 from the date codes on the Campagnolo NR RD and FD. It has stamped dropouts. It's no doubt one of the "Numbered" San Remos and definitely not an "Equipe". I have yet to ride it, or photograph it, but here is one of the seller's pictures from their ad on FB Marketplace for a "Project Bike Needs Rebuild". One notable feature is the only braze on is a post on the underside of the downtube to fix the DT shifters, though in this case it's used to secure the Campagnolo cable guides for the Suntour Bar Ends.

I don't want to hijack your thread. I will be opening one for this bike, and if I can find a "Show Me Your Falcon" thread, I'll post to that eventually, too.

I'd sure like to see pictures of your bike!

Last edited by machinist42; 07-05-18 at 12:32 AM.