Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs
Reload this Page >

Handcycle and Great Allegheny Passage & C&O Canal Trail ?

Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 08:18 PM
MojojoM

Bikes: 1985 Raliegh Touring 18 - 1990 somethingl Cadex - I own another bike, but it has a motor --> 2007 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know how accesable the Great Allegheny Passage & C&O Canal Trails are for a handcycle. I have heard the C&O trail has quite a few areas with grass in the center that may be hard to straddle with three wheels. The post I read was rather old.\

Thanks
Old 10-08-12, 09:59 PM
BeSelfPropelled
Bicycle Evangelist

Bikes: Schwinn Home Grown Hard Tail, Schwinn Home Grown 4 Banger, Torelli Spada Road Bike, Santana Arriva Tandem, Dyno Cruiser - Single Rider Tandem Length Crusier, Trek 400 - My Commuter Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode the GAP and C&O in May and I can tell you that you won't have any issues on the GAP. The trails are well graded with crushed stone and a nice width that shouldn't give you any issues with a hand cycle. The C&O Trail is another story. There are many areas on the C&O where the trail is double track with a large section of grass in the middle. We shot video on each trail so you can see for yourself. GAP and C&O Videos The section from Cumberland, MD to Hancock, MD would have some of the tightest sections including one that we labeled single track just beyond the Paw Paw tunnel. It's the 4th video down and you can clearly see the trail structure with grass in the center. We had some heavy rains and the C&O got very muddy. Due to trail repairs, just beyond Great Falls park near DC, there are some stairs that you have to carry or push your bike up that might be an issue. I think you'd really enjoy the GAP trail with the hand cycle but the C&O could be frustrating.
Old 10-09-12, 10:36 PM
MojojoM

Bikes: 1985 Raliegh Touring 18 - 1990 somethingl Cadex - I own another bike, but it has a motor --> 2007 Harley Ultra Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. My buddy is the one one that rides a handcycle, but I'll be with him to help out in any way I can.

What type of tires did you use?
Is there any other advice you can offer either of us?

I'll take a look at the videos when I get home in the monring after work.

Thanks again.
Old 10-13-12, 07:20 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Are you planning to camp or go to motels or B&Bs in the towns? The only route into Harpers Ferry from the towpath involves a bunch of stairs. My trip was in June-July, and I did not investigate the campgrounds because of the clouds of mosquitoes when I was not pedaling. Back in 2003 there were no wheelchair accessible porta potties along the towpath. (I did a trip on C&O in summer 2003).
Old 10-20-12, 02:07 AM
MojojoM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Camping seems to fit my riding style a bit better, but... the B&B's sure do sound like a better way. I don't want to be roped into riding less if I feel like doing longer days. Really looking forward to making this trip.
Old 10-20-12, 08:56 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While I don't have to use a handcycle, I won't ride my racing bike on the C&O Canal Trail, because it is too easy to pop a tire/tube in my case. For the C&O Canal Trail, you really need knobby or studded tires.
Old 10-20-12, 08:56 PM
MojojoM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking I'm going to use my son's Trek hybrid. I'm definitley not going to use my road bike and I'd rather not use the Mt bike either. Hoping to do 50 miles a day. That should give us time to stop and enjoy the sights too. I apprecaite any advice.