Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Embarrassing Question

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Embarrassing Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-16, 10:01 AM
rak330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Embarrassing Question

I have a somewhat embarrassing question. I'm 68 years old and found out a couple of months ago that I've got prostate problems and the doc has forbid me from riding a standard bike. I have been investigating a recumbent Trike to move to, because the way the seating position looks as though you're not putting any pressure on the prostate area. Am I anywhere being right or not. If you have any experience or knowledge regarding the use of the recumbent please let me know. I really am disappointed staying off the bike after many years.
Thanks in Advance,
rich
Old 07-04-16, 12:43 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Liked 243 Times in 191 Posts
Don't be embarrassed by the question. It's a valid one. The seat on a trike will spread your weight over a large area rather than on a few square inches of bike seat that are just right to cause you problems. Find a dealer near you to test ride one and see how it works. Check out 'BentRider Online for lots of information on what is available and for reviews. I even bought my second of three trikes from a seller on that site. They have a recumbent dealer network listed there but it only includes shops that sponsor the site.

Get ready for some sticker shock. The really good ones are expensive and even the really cheap ones are still expensive compared to a DF bike. You can get some idea of prices and models at Utah Trikes Utah Trikes Catalog - Trikes, Upgrades & Accessories I bought my third trike (Catrike 700) from them. I've put more than 40,000 miles on trikes since 2003. That should give you an idea of how much fun and how useful they are.
Old 07-04-16, 03:26 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 755 Times in 463 Posts
The seat on any RECUMBENT will spread your weight out across your butt. That statement includes, but is not limited to 3-wheelers. Even my race-oriented 2-wheelers with narrow carbon shell seats do not put pressure on my perineum.
Old 07-05-16, 06:44 AM
yakmurph

Bikes: [redacted]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm Not a Doctor, But:

Both the BlazingPedaler and the HappyTriker are correct.
Most recumbent seats, like most reclining chairs, bypass your vulnerable prostate area.
Old 07-05-16, 07:39 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Did you try any of the "relief" saddles? Is your Dr aware of alternative saddles, like the relief or noseless ones? I think it is great that you asked the question here because I am sure that many others have walked in your shoes before you and will be able to give you good advice.
Good luck!
Old 07-05-16, 11:41 PM
RandomTroll
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have a problem with my prostate but I switched to 'Ergo - The Seat' noseless saddle; it supports me with 2 bumps, 1 for each cheek. I find it much more comfortable. This has been studied. I can find links to the literature, not that it will address your problem.
Old 07-06-16, 05:39 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before you decide on a trike, test ride 2 wheeled recumbents too. Go somewhere that you can test ride as many as possible. I got a trike (loved the idea of it, some parts of it, but ended up going to 2 wheels). With 2 wheeled recumbents I had to ride about 8 different ones before I found "the one". What I thought I wanted when I went to the store isn't what I came home with.

FYI, I went to a recumbent mainly for shoulder issues... but the relief I got from going to a seat instead of a saddle was an added benefit.

I even rode 2 that were nearly identical in specs but found a preference for one over the other. Ended up with a Bacchetta Giro 20.
Old 07-06-16, 07:16 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 645 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by chandltp
Before you decide on a trike, test ride 2 wheeled recumbents too. Go somewhere that you can test ride as many as possible. I got a trike (loved the idea of it, some parts of it, but ended up going to 2 wheels). With 2 wheeled recumbents I had to ride about 8 different ones before I found "the one". What I thought I wanted when I went to the store isn't what I came home with.
Pretty much my experience too.

Before we bought our first recumbent Mrs. Grouch and I took a 500 mile road trip to the Rans factory in Hays, Kansas. After the shortest of test rides we knew that the bike we had originally intended to buy was obviously the wrong one. I recently made the decision to go from 2 wheels to 3. That took a little longer of an adjustment but I am delighted with the decision. I can't tell you how happy I am to be riding a tadpole trike now.

There are many different recumbent designs and they all ride a little bit differently. There is no simply adequate alternative to going some place where there are a lot of different recumbents to see, talk about and test ride.
Old 07-06-16, 08:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Liked 1,057 Times in 636 Posts
There simply is no doubt that both a recumbent bike or trike pretty much totally relieves pressure in the groin area that your doctor wants you to avoid.
Old 07-06-16, 11:25 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbents , both 2 and 3 wheeled versions will both work. As others have said some of the nose less saddles may also help. I had my prostate removed around 5 months ago. I'm riding a saddle from ISM , it solves the issue of pressure on the perineum .
Old 07-07-16, 08:06 AM
rak330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish to thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I've decided to start evaluation and I'll keep you informed of the out come. Again.. THANKS!
rich
Old 07-29-16, 12:39 AM
Zinger5656

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put 300 miles on my trike so far getting it at the beginning of July. Not once did my crotch hurt