Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 09:01 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,052 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
You are a good son, CDR.
I was going to say that.
Old 01-14-16, 09:46 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Thanks everyone. Really it is what it is, have to do what we have to do.

Keep in mind we've been aware that my dad wasn't well for about 12-13 years. It's not a surprise and it's been a long and steady decline.

We're prepared, meaning my dad, because we went through the drill when my mom had cancer (2000-2003). Although we had most of my mom's stuff handled ourselves, my mom was the one that actually paid the medical bills for most of that period (and found thousands of dollars of errors/whatever). I handled her living will, she lived with me for 2 years until my dad finished his stint at his work (to maintain health benefits and qualify for lifetime coverage). I was the one that essentially gave her permission to give up. My mom felt that my dad may not let her go, hence she asked me to handle everything. She was correct about my dad until about 2 weeks to go, when it was painfully apparent that her time was near. My dad then admitted that, yeah, there's only one direction to go at that point. I made all the last calls on my mom - no tube, no IV, called the funeral home, etc.

This time we're all equally empowered. My brother is handling the money, he told me he doesn't want to disrupt the medical side of things (so it's on me now). My other brother and my sister are a bit too far to be super involved, but we bounce ideas off each other (and my other brother has come down to take care of my dad, etc).

My dad's condition won't get any better. His main thing right now is his body is forgetting how to swallow. He can't drink liquid anymore, it just trickles into his lungs before his body figures out how to swallow (and this is what caused us to call 911 a few days ago, he ended up with a bunch of liquid in his lung). Since swallowing is a reflex it means you can't teach someone how to swallow. When he forgets how to swallow he'll have 2-7 days I think, based on what I read (nurse said "couple days"). He's DNR, no feeding tubes, etc, just pain management.

His breathing, when he's asleep, reminds me of my mom's breathing near the end.

His quality of life is not that great. He's not really self-aware, if you will; I'd compare him to a 8 or 10 month old baby, minus the reflexes and learning.

So, yeah, it is what it is.

It's made me think about my end as well. To echo what my dad said to us many years ago, I don't want to be a burden on everyone.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-14-16, 09:51 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to hear cdr. Hang in there.
Old 01-15-16, 01:01 PM
carpediemracing 

Back from hospital. We had a Transporter staff wheel my dad to the car. Transporters are responsible for pushing beds, wheelchairs, and the like, and who wear purple just like the CDR t-shirts I have, so occasionally patients would ask if I was there to push their relative's bed somewhere. He helped me help my dad out of wheelchair. Note: wheelchair is policy, not necessary, as my dad walks slowly but otherwise pretty well. To be fair it was probably a 5 minute walk, I think we walked across two small blocks. As we were getting my dad in the car...

Transporter: "A real driver."
Me: "What?" (thinking that my dad doesn't drive, so what's he talking about).
Transporter: "Manual. A real driver." (Gesturing at the shifter in the car.)

I also learned that when I push the Jetta Sportswagen on snow tires the rear end gets loose a bit more quickly than the Golf on snow tires, and that it actually maintains attitude (direction) pretty well, meaning it holds its "drift" if you will (car angled one way, going a different way, intentionally). No, my dad wasn't in the car.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-15-16, 01:06 PM
carpediemracing 

For something uplifting, smiley kind of stuff. I don't want to drag down the thread mood any more.

Junior was about 1 year, 10 months old here. He's 3 years, 10 months old now.
Old 01-15-16, 01:11 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was going to enjoy the 3-day weekend but now, rain every day.

Old 01-15-16, 01:17 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Also @cdr - I was with both my father and stepfather when they died of cancer. Is hospice not an option in your situation?

It was incredibly difficult to be around for me. Especially after the mental capacity was gone. When the body eventually gave out it was more relief than anything. For me and my family it was weeks/days. It sounds like you've been dealing with this for years. Can't imagine.
Old 01-15-16, 01:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Back from hospital. We had a Transporter staff wheel my dad to the car. Transporters are responsible for pushing beds, wheelchairs, and the like, and who wear purple just like the CDR t-shirts I have, so occasionally patients would ask if I was there to push their relative's bed somewhere. He helped me help my dad out of wheelchair. Note: wheelchair is policy, not necessary, as my dad walks slowly but otherwise pretty well. To be fair it was probably a 5 minute walk, I think we walked across two small blocks. As we were getting my dad in the car...

Transporter: "A real driver."
Me: "What?" (thinking that my dad doesn't drive, so what's he talking about).
Transporter: "Manual. A real driver." (Gesturing at the shifter in the car.)

I also learned that when I push the Jetta Sportswagen on snow tires the rear end gets loose a bit more quickly than the Golf on snow tires, and that it actually maintains attitude (direction) pretty well, meaning it holds its "drift" if you will (car angled one way, going a different way, intentionally). No, my dad wasn't in the car.
My wife and I are both diehard manual drivers. Looking forward to teaching the kids how to be "real drivers" in a few years too.
Old 01-15-16, 01:43 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
CDR is a pretty awesome guy all around.
correct.
Old 01-15-16, 02:10 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I learned how to drive stick shift in brand new cars before they would get delivered to the people who bought them..
Old 01-16-16, 07:52 PM
carpediemracing 

Neighbor's kid, at Junior's age…

Old 01-16-16, 08:12 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^awesome!
Old 01-16-16, 11:40 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
my daughter has a MB 300SL.. 50's body style.. I would have loved the mod it back when she was using it. Wheels are crap hard plastic.. I can see how donuts would be easy.
Old 01-18-16, 08:40 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Applying for jobs = the worst. But I'm buckling down. Did have a nice lead tonight. Turns out I know someone who knows someone at a place. There are no guarantees in this business, but I'll take any help I can get.
Old 01-19-16, 07:47 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Ygduf
Also @cdr Is hospice not an option in your situation?
Hospice will be at my house. Unless something happens this will be his last home. Goal is no nursing home or assisted living, mainly because we can do it and, frankly, we want to do it.
Old 01-19-16, 08:51 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Applying for jobs = the worst. But I'm buckling down. Did have a nice lead tonight. Turns out I know someone who knows someone at a place. There are no guarantees in this business, but I'll take any help I can get.

Good luck
Old 01-19-16, 12:16 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All my best to you cdr. Both my parents spent their last days at home, with some help from hospice. The last stages were both mercifully short and went the way my parents wished - no extreme measures, and with family there. Peace to your dad and family.

Hospice will be at my house. Unless something happens this will be his last home. Goal is no nursing home or assisted living, mainly because we can do it and, frankly, we want to do it.
Old 01-19-16, 12:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My MIL spent her last days at our house. It was by far the best thing for Gwen. And us too. Peace and love to your family, CDR.
Old 01-19-16, 05:26 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Good luck
+1 grolby
Old 01-19-16, 05:39 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Thanks guys.

CDR, best to your family. It's good that you want him with you. Sounds like he'll be comfortable and well cared-for to the end.
Old 01-19-16, 06:04 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Okay, so I bought a new double-edge razor like I used when I started shaving lo, these many years ago. I was curious what it would be like compared to the Schick Quattro I've been using the last several years...plus I heard they're better for legs than other styles. Using the enclosed blades, it sucks. What's a good quality double-edge blade?

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-19-16, 06:15 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
first college acceptance. phew
Old 01-19-16, 07:04 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thoughts, prayers, luck, and congratulations where applicable.
Old 01-19-16, 07:16 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by mike868y
thoughts, prayers, luck, and congratulations where applicable.
lol
Old 01-19-16, 07:25 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by grolby
All the best.

Honestly that's one part of taking care of my dad that I don't look forward to.

Networking is good. I got two jobs I think primarily because some people knew me. I did a good job in both those places but I don't know if I'd have gotten a chance had I not known people. This is especially true of the first place, one of a bazillion IT companies in NYC, and me coming from a bike shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.