Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Listening choices on your bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 01:08 AM
kiwicollector

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I usually ride early in the morning in the dark, so I will see a car coming. My music player is set on random, but when a song from Black Pistol Fire comes on the hammer goes down.
Old 02-18-20, 07:09 AM
jjankie

Bikes: NOW: Trek Checkpoint ARL 4; PAST: Trek Boone 5 - stolen Nov 2019; Bianchi Volpe lost in MN River July 2014

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I usually listen to the birds chirping, but occasionally listen to a passing car.
I agree - totally diss on wearing earplugs when biking. A pet peeve of mime. No plugs in ears while biking!

Part of this outrage is coming up and trying to pass the oblivious biker mindlessly on the path and not paying attention to surroundings. Yikes.
Likes For jjankie:
Old 02-18-20, 07:36 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by jjankie
I agree - totally diss on wearing earplugs when biking. A pet peeve of mime. No plugs in ears while biking!

Part of this outrage is coming up and trying to pass the oblivious biker mindlessly on the path and not paying attention to surroundings. Yikes.
I agree, wearing headphones is actually pretty rude, if that person can’t hear other traffic. Worst case scenario, is people walking their dogs, with headphones cranked up. 🙄 I’m not sure which is worse, dogs on leashes or off. 🤔

I do like music quite a bit, and currently have a small portable, for during breaks, & after the day’s ride. 😎
Likes For stardognine:
Old 02-18-20, 07:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
I've been a musician for over 50 years (I'm 68), and have loved listening to music even longer...and I have listened a lot. I have over 4000 CDs..but when I ride my bike, I am SO happy to be alone with my thoughts. Not bored...15 or so years ago, when I got an ipod, I gave it a try on the bike. I found it annoying. And dangerous.
And even when I brougth along real headphones, and not lame apple ear buds, I wasn't happy with the sounds.
That experiment was very short.
So many people in our culture seem to need to be constantly stimulated. As I said: I like having the chance to be alone with my own thoughts. AND to llisten to the music inside my head (I'm a composer. I work on music I'm writing while on my bike).
I live in Boston, and some of the foolish things I see people on bikes doing with their devices....
interesting comments Mr katz, most of which are my views too.
Being with ones own thoughts is clearly one, and the few times I've done longer trips and kept up online trip journals, I often jot down ideas and work on my written pieces in my head while riding. Nice to form some of my topics so when I did the evening writing, it was still fresh. Fun to look back on my journals and recall details, thoughts and feelings that were put down that day, that would have melted away if not done then.
Likes For djb:
Old 02-18-20, 08:09 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Being with ones own thoughts is clearly one, and the few times I've done longer trips and kept up online trip journals, I often jot down ideas and work on my written pieces in my head while riding. Nice to form some of my topics so when I did the evening writing, it was still fresh. Fun to look back on my journals and recall details, thoughts and feelings that were put down that day, that would have melted away if not done then.
Agree, I sometimes get my best plans and ideas during my rides. As I posted earlier, Im too paranoid to block the ride sounds with anything and even my thoughts can sometimes take necessary attention off the road and course ahead.
Old 02-18-20, 08:17 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Sorry, but I can't stay away from this thread. I think this is my third post.

In contrast to those who prefer to focus on their thoughts while pedaling, I find that riding in silence and listening to my own breath tires me out a lot faster than keeping a cadence to whatever music is on my speaker at a given moment. Also, I find that the memories of my longer rides come easier when I associate them with the songs that were playing while I was whizzing down a hill or basking in an ocean breeze.

That said, once again, my playlist spans popular music of the entire 20th Century, but being that I ride mostly in the warmer weather, I've got A LOT of Country music in there!
Old 02-18-20, 08:47 AM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
I don't like having my ears plugged while riding, either.

But I really like the speaker idea!

Many of the ones I'm seeing take up a water bottle cage, which is a non-starter for me. I go through sometimes 32 oz. of water on a one hour ride, and it's winter! But I could always add something to the handlebars, even if I have to get a handlebar extender to make it work.

Any recommendations?
Old 02-18-20, 09:28 AM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I would take that into consideration if I rode with you.
I wasn't talking about music played by anyone I'm riding with (they would have to turn it off or I wouldn't be there), but just people I see on the street. Offering noise pollution to the world. Music is one of the most wonderful things there is. Music you don't want to hear is awful. Doesn't matter what the music is.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 02-18-20, 09:29 AM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by TheLizard

Many of the ones I'm seeing take up a water bottle cage, which is a non-starter for me. I go through sometimes 32 oz. of water on a one hour ride, and it's winter! But I could always add something to the handlebars, even if I have to get a handlebar extender to make it work.

Any recommendations?
Don't do it.
Why listen to music when it annoys the rest of the world, and when the sound quality is so deeply flawed. Learn to be with yourself.
Old 02-18-20, 09:35 AM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by djb
I don't mediate or anything like that, but for me, riding a bike is great for my state of my mind. Partly because I become UNPLUGGED. And I do a lot of constructive thinking, and indeed, afterwards, write down what I came up with.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 02-18-20, 09:45 AM
djb

I don't mediate or anything like that, but for me, riding a bike is great for my state of my mind. Partly because I become UNPLUGGED. And I do a lot of constructive thinking, and indeed, afterwards, write down what I came up with.
The mental aspect of riding is just as important as the physical to me. Ruminating is important.
Old 02-18-20, 10:46 AM
Papa Tom

...But I really like the speaker idea!...Any recommendations?
There are SO many options available these days. I have a small "cube" speaker by a manufacturer named BEM, but it's just one of many you can find at a reasonable price that will put out pleasant, quality sound. Mine is mounted to my handlebar with a variety of no-longer-used hardware for lighting, reflectors, etc. You just have to get creative. I understand why some people would be against music while riding, but I think that, if you use a speaker and keep it at a reasonable volume, you'll be able to maintain awareness of your surroundings just fine My personal policy is to mute the speaker with my hand or just turn off the volume when I am passing walkers, dog-walkers, or anybody who looks like they might not appreciate the music.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 02-18-20, 11:01 AM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Don't do it.
Why listen to music when it annoys the rest of the world, and when the sound quality is so deeply flawed. Learn to be with yourself.
Nah, I'm WAY too boring.

Anyway, it's rare that I'm riding anywhere someone could hear a little portable speaker. Plus I can catch up on my podcasts. I'm WAY behind since I've started commuting on the bike.

Last edited by TheLizard; 02-18-20 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-18-20, 01:51 PM
Roychol

Bikes: Scott Reflex 3.0/GT Karakoram Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I like a bit of audio entertainment when I ride, I usually listen to the radio or music on long days in the saddle. Sometimes I’ll download an audiobook. I use one earphone and leave the other ear free so I can hear traffic easily. So what do you listen to?
Here is my play list.

1) If I can find a good NPR signal this is my default.
2) Podcasts of shows like "This American Life", "Radio Lab", "In Our Time". I download theses before I leave and when I have WIFI access on tour.
3) Current top of the music list, some fast stuff to get me pedaling, and some quiet stuff to calm me down.

Babymetal: Babymetal and Road of Resistance
Pink Floyd: Darkside of the Moon
Lou Reed: Rock n Roll Animal
John Luther Adams: Become Ocean
David Bowie: Changes
Roxy Music: Avalon.............

and many more.
I would think it would be hard to take in a podcast while riding. Unless you are riding in a straight low traffic area. Work music you can take your mind off it every so often to negotiate right turns, obstacles, traffic, etc. And you will still be fine. With a podcast I would think that it would be distracting with a podcast. I am not the best judge of that though, since I am not a Podcast type of person(pod heads as my daughter calls them).

that being said I ha be ridden with music playing through my phone mounted on my stem. Music choices, classic&progressive&hard rock. Heavy metal. Faster paced blues. Slower paced works good if I am on a straight stretch and am taking in the sights.
Old 02-18-20, 06:10 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

This was an unplanned purchase, lol, but I took a chance on it in a thrift store, for about $10. Turns out, this is a very nice receiver, and goes for hundreds on flea bay. 😁 This one’s not working with fresh batteries (yet), but I’ll play around with it a bit. Notice the separate knobs, for bass & treble, pretty high-end, for a portable. It’s missing the little nameplate on the front, but it’s a Sony ICF-5900W. 😎

Old 02-18-20, 06:12 PM
Papa Tom

It looks HUGE in the photo. How big IS it?
Old 02-18-20, 06:18 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I’m terrible at guessing measurements, but probably like 10” x 10”? Here’s a quarter, for scale.
Old 02-18-20, 06:58 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I went through a Pink Floyd period (again) last fall and had a couple weird incidents of synchronicity. (Not talking about The Police.) One time I was climbing while The Wall - Run Like Hell was on and the heavy breath sound in the song matched my own. Later in the same ride I was cruising through a neighborhood and listening to Animals - Dogs, and the barking sounds in the song matched barking dogs in back yards. It was freaky, but not surprising, since riders breathe hard and people have dogs.

Is that a ruler on the bottom? That would make it 21-22 cm.

Great thrift store find.
Old 02-18-20, 11:23 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts

Any recommendations?
I use this
https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Soun...2089326&sr=8-3
mounted on

The speaker comes with a suction cup. I poked a hole through the phone screen, put it through from under, then mounted the speaker
One handed operation for volume, skip, pause, answer phone. Also works with voice directions from the GPS
Old 02-18-20, 11:25 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
This was an unplanned purchase, lol, but I took a chance on it in a thrift store, for about $10. Turns out, this is a very nice receiver, and goes for hundreds on flea bay. 😁 This one’s not working with fresh batteries (yet), but I’ll play around with it a bit. Notice the separate knobs, for bass & treble, pretty high-end, for a portable. It’s missing the little nameplate on the front, but it’s a Sony ICF-5900W. 😎
I have one I bought about 30 yrs ago. Lit it up the other day and could not find a single short wave station.
Do they still exist?
Old 02-19-20, 07:37 AM
djb

I have one I bought about 30 yrs ago. Lit it up the other day and could not find a single short wave station.
Do they still exist?
radio Canada international got the chop in 2012 and is only on the interwebs now.
I suspect this is pretty common.
not that I ever listened to sw radio in my life, but then i didn't grow up in east Germany or the Soviet Union.
Old 02-19-20, 08:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
I get that a lot.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-19-20, 12:58 PM
dmrogers

Bikes: Trek FX7.3, DS 8.4 & Mamba

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't listen to anything when riding. Not that I find anything wrong with it, as long as you can hear what is going on around you.
My wife and I ride together 99.99999% of the time, we don't talk a lot, but sometimes on a secluded road, we will have a little conversation.
I think we both use the bike to totally unwind, and clear our brains.
I'm a musician, and several years ago, I made a habit of not casually listening to music. I was always learning new tunes, practicing and rehearsing. So, when I was away from music, I generally enjoyed silence.
If I were to listen riding, I would probably listen to Amazon Music Unlimited. My son got us subscriptions. I have some good playlists that I could enjoy.
Old 02-19-20, 01:08 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
The human auditory system has evolved so that it can cope with multiple inputs. So an ear bud in one ear does not mean that you will miss other sounds. I still find a simple FM radio to be great when there is a strong enough signal and it will run on a single AAA battery for many days. This is what I use on the bike along with the iphone for podcasts and music. I could use the iphone for the radio too, but it eats up battery life.

https://www.universal-radio.com/cata...alty/2850.html
Old 02-19-20, 02:16 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Do they still exist?
Several years ago I bought a couple high end small portable shortwave radios that were on a really good sale price. My thinking was that I could get the BBC when I was away from other stations or when I was in locations where I did not speak the language. Then I learned that they went on sale price immediately after BBC announced that they were discontinuing short wave. At least they also had AM and FM, I occasionally use one of them for FM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.