Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ever get pulled over on your bicycle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ever get pulled over on your bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 11:44 AM
ryanjams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in college I had my bike lights stolen down on campus then had to ride home after dark to a more suburban corner of town. I stayed on the bike path 90% of the way home while possible, for my own safety and legality, then stuck to the sidewalks (advised against, but legal outside of my city's downtown, and exempted from the light requirements due to not technically operating on a roadway) but I hopped off a curb on an otherwise empty residential street, just around the corner from my house, and was pulled over immediately by an officer that must have been tailing me a ways back.

They accused me of breaking into cars in the neighborhood, which only irritated me more, and I wouldn't allow them to search my bag on principle--I know my rights, and refuse to further empower officers to coerce citizens into consenting to a search. They weren't too happy about this, and still convinced I was a petty criminal, decided to throw the book at me for riding without lights, even after I explained the circumstances. I guess if I hadn't hopped that curb, some 100 yards from my destination, they would have had no grounds to pull me over.

I forget how much the ticket was, but enough to sting for a broke student.
Old 10-26-20, 12:20 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
one time I was on the interstate, seeing how long I could draft off an 18 wheeler. Made it to the next town
How fast were you going?
Old 10-26-20, 12:26 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Ran a stop sign

I was riding through the local U, came up to a stop sign that was right after another stop sign (like 20' after), and at the bottom of a hill. So I paused (ok, maybe it was a micromini pause) and then proceeded. Siren, lights. The cop told me that I was a vehicle too, and had to stop. I said, "I could argue with you, but instead, why don't you just give me a ticket … for speeding." He said, "Speeding? Why would I give you a ticket for speeding?" I said, "Because that way I could prove to all my friends that I can exceed 25 mph." He laughed and let me go with a verbal warning.
Old 10-26-20, 12:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,556 Times in 7,331 Posts
Originally Posted by bfaIllini
Wow. Is Biden your President? #FactsMatter
He allegedly lives in the Philippines, and take your political comments to P&R.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-20, 12:46 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
A few times while bicycle touring:

1. In Russia, several times mostly for curiosity. I would be cycling along the highway and pass a cop otherwise on side with a radar gun. They would motion me to go over. After that, ask all the same curiosity questions: where are you going? What do you like about our roads? What will you do when you get there? Never once asked for ID in those situations.

2. In China, law enforcement told me to get off the main highway and use a side road.

3. In Colorado, cycling a section of Interstate where bikes are allowed (right south of CO/WY border on I-25). Came past a rolled truck as well as two cop cars stopped to attend to a startled but otherwise OK driver. I intended to mostly just cycle past since they otherwise had their hands full. However, just as I came past, the law enforcement officer yelled out to get off the highway. I stopped and explained to him exactly where the "caution bicyclist" signs were found as well as where the sign was to get off I-25. It was all polite. He stopped and thanked me and said he hadn't realized it was allowed.
Old 10-26-20, 12:48 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by macd55
Blew through a stop sign right in front of a motorcycle cop. There were too many cars coming to the intersection at once and I should have slowed down a little bit more and put a foot down but didn't want to unclip. On top of that I was using headphones and I couldn't hear his horn to pull over. That was the last time I used headphones. He was real nice and told me to be more careful.
I used to listen to podcasts all the time including during biking, but I found that when biking I would naturally pay attention to the traffic and so I would have to listen to it again anyways to catch what I missed so I don't do that anymore. Podcasts are just talk and so I could hear everything around me, but I had to stop to go to the next one or turn it up or down or the earbuds would fall out etc. and it is a bit sketchy doing anything with it, on the fly so I stopped that practice.
Old 10-26-20, 12:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Originally Posted by kahrs
In 1975, I elected to violate the restrictions on "Going to the Sun Road" in Glacier National Park....
I may elect to take your bike(s). Good to hear you won't be disturbed.
Old 10-26-20, 02:02 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Does almost running into the cop car count? I was crossing the street after dark looked both ways and the street was empty,I was pulling out from a car driveway to a 7-11 and as I start out I look forward to see a cop car that had just turned on to the street and was on a collision course with me, so I stopped in the other lane about 8 feet away (glad I got the brakes adjusted recently) and he stopped and warmed me to be more careful. With my deer in the headlights look I said you scared me. But thinking about it there is a bush there and you can't see if a car is turning from the driveway. Good thing the cop was cute.
Likes For Marci:
Old 10-26-20, 02:11 PM
bfaIllini

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Roubaix, Infinity seat

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
He allegedly lives in the Philippines, and take your political comments to P&R.
You are correct. And I apologize
Emotions got the better of me
Will attempt to delete my post
Old 10-26-20, 03:07 PM
Bill Abbey

Bikes: CoMotion Tandem (Rohloff), Surley LHT,, Bike Friday, Specialized Vado

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yep. Got flagged over by WSP heading down to the Hood Canal Bridgeon my fully loaded touring bike for less than 10 over. Laughingly gave me a warning. Another time I was stopped as I was riding the iInterstate in California by a new CHP academy grad. I explained that Interstates are open unless specifically prohibited and that this section is the only means of going over the pass. I showed him the Adventure Cycling Map and its course. He was interested in the logic and explained he was new and didn't realize the nuances. Then I told him I am a retired cop and this is a great way to see the world in a frugal manner. THEN he really lit up. I've written many tickets to bicyclists blowing stop lights and stop signs. Not all had ID and Im sure many lied, thinking they were way smarter than that dumb cop. Everyone has their own standards of integrity. I often pointed out that its not the car you see, but rather the ones you don't see, and those that don't see you, that nail you.
Old 10-26-20, 03:23 PM
AMGwagon

Bikes: Seven Axiom XX '18; Seven Aerios '06; Seven Sola '04 and others

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If I got a speeding ticket while riding my bike, I would frame it and hang it on the wall.
I got popped for 48mph in a 25 zone... cop told me he didn't even know if I was breaking a law given I was on a bike, but he told me to mail in the ticket saying "not guilty" and they'd drop it. So far I have not heard back. Really just a PIA event. FWIW I did get the KoM on the segment!

EDIT: I have NEVER been pulled over for running lights/stop signs, b/c I stop at those and yell at other cyclists about it. Perfected my track-stand 20yr ago to reduce wear on springs (was issue with old Time pedals).
Old 10-26-20, 03:58 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
A cop flagged me down and claimed I 'fit the description' of a robbery suspect, I was in HS at the time and had my ID on me, I happened to go to a HS that was well known for it's academics so he 'let me go' mind you I had on shorts and a t-shirt where would I hide stolen items
Old 10-26-20, 03:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,973 Times in 1,919 Posts
Originally Posted by taco2ewsday
A cop flagged me down and claimed I 'fit the description' of a robbery suspect, I was in HS at the time and had my ID on me, I happened to go to a HS that was well known for it's academics so he 'let me go' mind you I had on shorts and a t-shirt where would I hide stolen items
buttocks crack?
Old 10-26-20, 04:10 PM
strangdang

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I saved it

I saved this ticket I got in 1980 because I thought it was funny. They put the model of bicycle on there, and had to ask me the year. Didn't show a driver's License, so that wasn't on there. It says I ran a red light at 8mph, but actually I made a right turn on red where a sign prohibited it.
Old 10-26-20, 04:50 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
As a cyclist we all want to be treated as equals to automobiles. Yet when we get pulled over or cited for breaking the rules we all cry foul and say they don’t apply to us. You cannot have it both ways.
Old 10-26-20, 06:25 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I got flagged over yesterday on a busy paved bike trail for not wearing a mask. Masks are now required outdoors in New Mexico. The officer was trying to give me a citation but he couldn't get the printer in his SUV to work. After being detained for 10 minutes he let me go. I did have to provide my full name, address, height, weight, SS#, phone #....
Old 10-26-20, 06:42 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Once, came to a full stop at a Stop sign but didn't unclip. Officer that was driving behind me pulled me over and told me I had to place a foot on the ground after a full stop.
Likes For TomM:
Old 10-26-20, 07:44 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Traffic school

I blew through a stop sign when I was a bicycle messenger, a motorcycle cop pulled me over, gave me a ticket, my bike was a Peugeot bike, and the ticket read as if I had run a stop sign in a Peugeot car. I had to go to traffic school.
Old 10-26-20, 08:45 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I was pulled over once right after I turned left through a four-way stop without slowin down. I didn't realize a cop was right behind me on a motorcycle. He gave me a warning, telling me "At least slow down a bit."

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-26-20, 08:46 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by TomM
Once, came to a full stop at a Stop sign but didn't unclip. Officer that was driving behind me pulled me over and told me I had to place a foot on the ground after a full stop.
Does your state require you to put a foot down as part of a complete stop?

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-26-20, 09:14 PM
AMGwagon

Originally Posted by TomM
That is categorically wrong. It’s a matter of coming to full stop as is the legal test for a motor vehicle.
Old 10-26-20, 10:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
A few years back, my wife, who loves to blast down hills at insane speeds, got pulled over after being radared by a motorcycle cop. There was a golf tournament going on a few blocks away with lots of police providing security and traffic management, when she got popped for doing 42 in a 35. She pulled over next to two other cops while the first one started writing her up. The other two started laughing at the first cop so loudly, he turned red, ripped up the ticket and gave her a warning. She could hear them still laughing as she rode away..
Just read Mrs Rsbob a couple of the funnier stops on this thread and she gave me the full story of the above.

After she heard the other cops laughing, she told the arresting officer, it was a brand new bike and she was so anxious to get out on it she didn’t bother to inflate the tires. So if she went home and pumped them up, would he clock her again? He replied, “Well mam, then I would be forced to cite you”. My wife then laughed and the cops buddies lost control laughing and he turned brighter red. One of the buddies called after her, “Pump them up and I will be happy to clock you.”

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-27-20, 04:56 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGwagon
That is categorically wrong. It’s a matter of coming to full stop as is the legal test for a motor vehicle.
In California, there is no law that I know of that says operators of two wheeled conveyances must put a foot down when stopping. But many motorcyclists do this habitually at stop signs, especially when traffic cops are around. Since it's not in the vehicle code, I can only assume it's something cops came up with, as a test for stopping completely. At the risk of sounding like a smart ass, I would ask the cop to show me the law that requires this, as proof of a full stop.

I dunno, maybe it's one of those unwritten laws like "never pass a cop on the freeway who is going the speed limit", never telling them their jackboots and poofy director's pants look silly, or never asking them if you can touch their gun. These things don't appear in the vehicle code, but you'll still be in trouble if you violate them.
Old 10-27-20, 07:17 AM
AMGwagon

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
In California, there is no law that I know of that says operators of two wheeled conveyances must put a foot down when stopping. But many motorcyclists do this habitually at stop signs, especially when traffic cops are around. Since it's not in the vehicle code, I can only assume it's something cops came up with, as a test for stopping completely. At the risk of sounding like a smart ass, I would ask the cop to show me the law that requires this, as proof of a full stop.

I dunno, maybe it's one of those unwritten laws like "never pass a cop on the freeway who is going the speed limit", never telling them their jackboots and poofy director's pants look silly, or never asking them if you can touch their gun. These things don't appear in the vehicle code, but you'll still be in trouble if you violate them.
Good stuff... I got a laugh from that.
Old 10-27-20, 08:11 AM
transitguy

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Limited, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 520, Specialized carbon Diverge

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was stopped by a local suburban cop about several years ago for "blocking traffic". This happened on a Sunday at about 8:00 a.m. on a quiet, 30 mph suburban street with no other vehicles in sight. The road had an unmarked shoulder that I left temporarily in order to avoid some debris. The patrol car was at least a block behind me during the 10-15 seconds I was in the main roadway (I ride with a mirror) so I wasn't "blocking" him. During our discussion the cop shut down my objections to being stopped when he said I could argue it in court if I continued to question him, so I chose to avoid the ticket. His was the only car I saw on that street that morning, so I'm still baffled about why he stopped me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.