Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Hunger spikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 05:03 PM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Bikes: Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hunger spikes

Does anyone else get these.

I could be going all day feeling just fine then wham, hungry like I have not eaten in week.

Today for example. I ate 3 egg whites with mozzarella cheese, bowl of whole wheat cereal, skim milk, 2 pieces of toast with olive oil (Breakfast), 2 servings of triscuts (snack #1 and #2), a Starbucks bagel with butter (3 p.m. Snack #3) and 2 cups of left over pasta with meat sauce (Lunch).

I am so hungry right now its ridiculous. I ate mostly the same meal yesterday and was not nearly as hungry at this time. The same the day before and the day before that.

Any suggestions to keep this hunger bear at bay?
Old 07-27-11, 05:18 PM
beezaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get hungry about every 4 hours, very much so after that if I don't eat. It is usually about 4 hours between breakfast and lunch, but sometimes 7 or 8 hours from lunch to dinner. So I often have a cup of cereal or something like that about 4 hours after lunch, at work.

That's probably not much help to you though.

Nancy Clark has a good book on sports nutrition: Sports Nutrition Guidebook or something like that. Worth the money and effort to read.
Old 07-28-11, 03:10 AM
poxpower
some guy

Bikes: yes sure do

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time I'm not hungry is after I just ate at a buffet. There is no "not hungry" in my day to day life.

If you want to beat hunger, there's several tricks I know.
- Hot soup. Turn your meals into soups. That extra cup or two of warm broth will fill you up for a good.. like.. hour.
- green tea / coffee. Again, the warmth
- drink before / while you eat. It'll make your food last longer.
- eat a ton of vegetables.
- learn to stand raw vegetables and eat those as a snack

Those are the "healthy" tricks I know. I've dealt with hunger / starvation / losing weight a LOT in the last couple years, going from 220 to, at my lowest, 142 pounds ( now at 153, 8-9% body fat ).
So I wrote this once about really unhealthy things you can do: https://www.thepoxbox.com/what.php?id=stavehunger
That should take care of that nasty overactive metabolism of yours : D
A week on this crap and you can lose 5 pounds and resume over-eating for a couple months. Woo-hoo.

If you want to lose weight while eating correctly, that's just about impossible without being hungry pretty much all the time. I'm doing that right now and even with lots of bike rides to burn calories and eat more food, I'm ravenous all day long, even eating 2000-2500 calories a day. I think at that point, your only option is to convert all your meals into soups. So basically put all your ingredients in a pot ( chicken breast, vegetables, brown rice... whatever ) and then add a bunch of chicken broth and water.

It's mildly more satisfying / filling than eating a small plate of solid food.
Old 07-28-11, 04:49 AM
jjermzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the look of your meals you lack protein. 3 egg white equals 9-10 grams of protein. I try to take in about 100-150 grams of protein daily to maintain. I think your suppose to eat 1 gram of protein per lean muscle weight.

So I think your hunger is from the lack of proteinfrom all the other days and other things. Cheap meals for me especially when I go snowboarding for 8-10 hours, I make 12 egg whites 1.69 a carton, mix brocolli 69 cents a crown, some bread and some hot sauce. That right there is 2 small meals for me.

Skip the salt and yoke for the eggs and you'll avoid the smelly eggs at work. I mix my protein intake by grilling Jennie-O turkey burger meat which is $6 a box of twelve. Each burger has 18 grams of protein and easy to make. I usually defrost and cook it up like ground meat and eat it thru out the day with some hot sauce.
Old 07-28-11, 10:12 AM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually have protein shakes at work, but I am out now. Men's health did an "Eat this not that" top 50 snacks and one that I want to try is the Atkins Granola and Peanut butter bar. Decent protein and not a lot of sugar. I'll have to check the fat content though.

Last night though I had two tablespoons of PB with a few chocolate chips thrown in. Felt like I had a lead weight in my gut, but I wasn't hungry any more.

Today I packed some cheese and some more protein. We will see how this works. I will look up the book thanks.
Old 07-28-11, 09:36 PM
poxpower
some guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I_like_cereal
Last night though I had two tablespoons of PB with a few chocolate chips thrown in. Felt like I had a lead weight in my gut, but I wasn't hungry any more.
You don't have a real hunger problem when you get satiated with two spoonfuls of peanut butter.
Count your daily calories and see if you reach your recommended number, my guess is you don't.
Old 07-29-11, 10:38 AM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poxpower
You don't have a real hunger problem when you get satiated with two spoonfuls of peanut butter.
Count your daily calories and see if you reach your recommended number, my guess is you don't.
I do not and cannot. In fact I gave up hitting my calories because it was impossible for me to carry that much food through the day and not want to puke and/or hate food by the end of the day. My calories consumption should be in the low 3000s. I burn about 1200 to and from work. Which means I have to consume 4200 calories. Which is freaking ridiculous to attempt without a well stocked fridge and kitchen. Even if I eat 6 times a day there is no way I can do it. I tracked my progress for three months once and I fell way short almost every day. I actually have been feeling better now that I am not calorie counting and have reduced my food intake. I am actually losing weight and am at my lowest weight that I can remember. This morning I was at 147.5 lbs. which is down from 149 the day before. I know that 145 is my basement so I will be watching that.
Old 07-29-11, 11:09 AM
poxpower
some guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But you said you had a hunger spike problem.
Sounds like that's not a problem at all for you if you struggle to eat enough. In fact it sounds awesome.

There's lots of cheap foods that make you fat. Donuts for instance. You can pick up 12-24 donuts for a couple bucks and each of them can have 200-500 calories. Or just drink your calories. Start downing coke and fancy starbucks coffees all day long. Eat candy bars. Twinkies. Peanut butter toast. Get 2% milk.

I'm 5'9 152 pounds and here's a breakfast I'd eat if I let myself:
2 cups cereal, 1.5 cups milk, 1 cup fruit, 4 peanut butter toasts.

That's around 1000-1100 calories. And I'd be hungry again 2 hours later.

You won't die from being too thin but meh. You get sick more often and you'll have trouble building muscle mass, which can't be good for biking.
Old 07-29-11, 11:50 AM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it is a problem cause no matter what I eat I can't get rid of it. My breakfast is 1 cup of milk, serving of raisin bran, 3 egg whites, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast w/olive oil, OJ, coffee, banana. Hungry as hell when I get to work. I usually get a bagel or take one with me to eat at work. That is at 10. By 11 I feel as if I have not eaten in a week. Lunch at 12 and by 130 or 2 right back to where I was.

This morning I added a tablespoon of PB to my breakfast. I was hoping it would help when I got to work. Nope. Still gaining muscle, just dropping the body fat. Hoping to get between 5 and 8%.
Old 07-29-11, 12:20 PM
dolanp

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not and cannot. In fact I gave up hitting my calories because it was impossible for me to carry that much food through the day and not want to puke and/or hate food by the end of the day. My calories consumption should be in the low 3000s. I burn about 1200 to and from work. Which means I have to consume 4200 calories. Which is freaking ridiculous to attempt without a well stocked fridge and kitchen. Even if I eat 6 times a day there is no way I can do it. I tracked my progress for three months once and I fell way short almost every day. I actually have been feeling better now that I am not calorie counting and have reduced my food intake. I am actually losing weight and am at my lowest weight that I can remember. This morning I was at 147.5 lbs. which is down from 149 the day before. I know that 145 is my basement so I will be watching that.
What black magic mathematics are you using that tells you a 148lb person needs 3000+ calories per day, without counting exercise? That is just not correct.
Old 07-29-11, 01:13 PM
poxpower
some guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so is your problem that you can't eat enough calories or that you're hungry all the time?

You don't need 3000 calories to maintain at 148 pounds.
Here's a calorie calculator: https://www.scoobysworkshop.com/caloriecalculator.htm
The breakfast your describe probably contains around 700-800 calories. If you ate that 3 times a day, you'd maintain your weight or even gain some fat.

Sounds to me like you don't really have any idea how much you eat and how much you need to eat.
Old 07-29-11, 01:39 PM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See this link for my food diary up until I got tired of counting everything.
Old 07-29-11, 02:00 PM
buddy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check your blood sugar, could be a sugar issue.

https://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/
Old 07-29-11, 02:08 PM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might try the glucose strips. Thanks.
Old 07-29-11, 02:10 PM
poxpower
some guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See this link for my food diary up until I got tired of counting everything.
That's all over the place. Did you really just spend a bunch of days eating 200, 600 or 800 calories? Because I think that both explains your hunger AND your weight loss my friend.
About every day on there that you bothered to cound, you eat LESS than you should for an active 148 pound person.

I mean, where's the big mystery? You're burning a ton of calories and eating too little, of course that'll make you hungry.
Old 07-29-11, 03:37 PM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calorie goal: 2,963; calories consumed: 1,931; calories burned: 1,364
Net calories: 567

Calorie goal: 2,963; calories consumed: 2,688; calories burned: 1,786
Net calories: 902

Calorie goal: 2,915; calories consumed: 2,584; calories burned: 1,405
Net calories: 1,179

Just three days in February. I thought I did ok. This maintained my weight at 155+/-. But I could not keep up with the food. My original point in the OP was strong intense hunger spikes when previously there was not a hunger spike, if people riding and eating were also experiencing the same, and what they did to combat this effect other than completely altering my diet and taking on extreme amounts of food. What kind of snacks worked best, what kind of foods worked best, etc...
Old 07-29-11, 04:40 PM
poxpower
some guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The answer to your question depends entirely on everything else.
Do you want to lose weight? Maintain? Gain muscle? Eat healthy? Eat better? Are you allergic to something? Can you eat any time? How many times per day do you eat? What else do you eat? What's your body fat % ?
All these questions inform what you should eat if you're hungry.

You could eat literally ANYTHING depending on what your goal is. If your goal is simply to not be hungry, then... guess you have found your solution already: eat a tiny amount of peanut butter.
Old 08-01-11, 08:04 PM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me eating red meat will keep me from being hungry for about 6 hours. If I eat fish, I will be hungry in 2 hours and if I eat sugars I stay hungry. Me and carbs don't get along.