Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 12:23 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I went to my LBS to try out an 54cm allez again, as I've been gravitating toward that model based on a prior test ride. Also tried a 56cm domane, which was nice, but felt a little too relaxed. Definitely liking the allez still. But it's funny how shop people try and steer away from claris, sora, and even tiagra to 105 at the slightest hint of being a semi-competitive rider. If they're to be believed, 8 and 9 speed components will be obsolete in the next year, nevermind that 8 speed has been around about 20 years already. Fortunately, I know that my gearing isn't the reason why I suck lol Actually, the most straight talk I've gotten came at the sponsor shop of some of this forum's esteemed members (C.B. on tremont) where the sales guy didn't try and totally disparage lower level shimano stuff.
Old 06-14-16, 12:51 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I've been on an Allez of some sort since 2011, currently have a 2015 Comp Race. I also work in a Specialized LBS, so take this with a grain of salt. I'd go with the Elite since that's where you get into the DSW frames, IMO they're better overall than the standard E5 frames (which aren't too shabby themselves). Actually, I'd go with the Comp due to the sweet brushed aluminum finish.

I'd also go with nine speed as a minimum due to the fact that there's a wider assortment of cassettes available; also you can get better quality than base-level cassettes in nine speed whereas eight speed is restricted to base-level cassettes in other than Campy. Ten and eleven speed setups are better still in this regard, plus the hood shapes for current Tiagra and 105 are nicer.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-14-16, 01:19 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
the most straight talk I've gotten came at the sponsor shop of some of this forum's esteemed members (C.B. on tremont) where the sales guy didn't try and totally disparage lower level shimano stuff.

My take on your bike decision is: The heart wants what the heart wants. You could always upgrade the groupset later, but it is worth considering being "neutral serviceable". Remember that 8 and 9 speed will mean that you won't be able to use someone else's wheels and if you need neutral service they wont have any components for you. My girlfriend used to ride a 9 speed bike while racing and she had a few situations where having older components made it harder to get help.
Old 06-14-16, 01:30 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Old 06-14-16, 02:18 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
the neutral serviceable thing is much more of a valid argument for someone racing as opposed to "the gearing will put you at a competitive disadvantage" or "you won't be able to find parts for it" lol i don't really think people are really trying to mislead when they say certain things, it's just kind of dogmatic stuff that gets recited as gospel

I think I've been talking myself into 8 or 9 speed versions only due to budget, but I do like tiagra at the very least, the shifting felt a bit more crisp compared to the sora
Old 06-14-16, 05:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I bought a Tiagra group for my son's bike and was pretty impressed. It's heavier and not as nicely finished, but it's cheap, has the same hood shape as the higher groups, and shifts smoothly and reliably. It used to be that 105 was best bang for the buck; now it might be Tiagra if 11-speed isn't necessary.
Old 06-14-16, 06:07 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Hey @hubcyclist. The lower-end Shimano stuff is definitely disparaged too much, BUT it's worth considering going to 105 for a couple of different reasons. First is the neutral service angle when racing, which isn't a huge deal but it's nice to not have to worry about whether a neutral wheel will work if you need to take a free lap in a crit. Second, the ergonomics on the 11-speed Shimano stuff really is a step up. It's just nicer to use and functionally superior, in my opinion.

One other thing to really think about is the time frame you expect to be using this bike for. It's pretty clear that you and/or your family are pretty price-sensitive, to the point that you've resisted upgrading the very old bike you've been riding and racing on despite clearly wanting something newer. I think that's admirable - the older and less expensive stuff really does work quite well, and there are other priorities in life than having the latest and best equipment. However, that also means you're likely to keep riding whatever you end up riding next for a long time. The MSRP difference between a Tiagra-equipped and a 105-equipped Specialized Allez is about $300. I'm not going to trivialize that amount of money, it does represent about a 25% increase at this price point. But consider how that extra $300 will amortize over many years of ownership. Over five years, or even ten years, that isn't such a large amount of money and you'll be enjoying the slightly nicer 105 group for years to come. For me, personally, it's worth spending that extra up front for something I plan to use for a long time - that's why I buy expensive road shoes, for example. It might not end up being worthwhile for you. But it's something to think about.
Old 06-14-16, 06:24 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5800 is so cheap you'd be crazy not to convert. You need new wheels anyway.
Old 06-14-16, 06:36 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I think this discussion assumes a complete new bike - @hubcyclist's current machine is a couple decades old.
Old 06-14-16, 09:05 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Checked out T-Town today for Tuesday racing. Was great looking, great racing. Some fast dudes for just a Tuesday night. Also did a ride beforehand. It was really pretty, really hilly beautiful farm land, almost no cars, it was great. I'm excited to be around here.
Old 06-15-16, 04:07 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
FB - I went to college in the area (Kutztown). I remember how nice it was around there, you'll have a blast.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-15-16, 04:40 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
5800 is so cheap you'd be crazy not to convert. You need new wheels anyway.
Good point. If the frame still works for you (I think you were wanting to try sizing down though), just a 5800 set and some wheels from one of the UK sites would be a much cheaper option. If the fit is an issue, that doesn't help.

Old 06-15-16, 05:09 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Checked out T-Town today for Tuesday racing. Was great looking, great racing. Some fast dudes for just a Tuesday night. Also did a ride beforehand. It was really pretty, really hilly beautiful farm land, almost no cars, it was great. I'm excited to be around here.
There's rarely 'just a tuesday night' at T-Town. Pretty sure there were at least two olympians there last night. Did you move? There's a Thursday night crit in the bike park across the street from the velodrome.
Old 06-15-16, 05:58 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I think Grolby makes a pretty good argument. Also, while you will still be able to get parts for 8,9 and 10 speed stuff, the fact is, the industry is moving to 11-speed and maybe even 12, 13 or 14. Given how long you probably plan to ride and race this bike, it probably makes sense to go with the 11-speed 105 stuff. That puts you in the best position going forward should you need to make upgrades or changes.
Old 06-15-16, 06:04 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Yeah, I got there a little late after my ride so I missed introductions. But I saw two Barbados kits and what looked like a Netherlands kit, and who knows who was in other kits.

Didn't necessarily move yet since we still own our house, but my wife is working on getting it ready to sell. I'm in a hotel in Allentown during the first week or two, but then I'll be living in Yardley with in laws.

The guy who I met in the parking lot and rode with told me about the Thursday night crit and the derby ride and stuff. Seems like a great area to ride. Might need to get a garmin to learn some new routes, but that would mean upgrading the PT, so we'll see how much I get to ride first. Cue sheets for now.
Old 06-15-16, 10:51 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 years of running my dogs on bike and today marks the first dog related incident. They chased a chimpmunk past my front wheel and I went down hard on pavement. About 6 inches from the grass we were about to go onto and into the woods. A bit of road rash which doesn't bother me but also a bruised-ish ribcage that I'm supposing will make working out annoying. 10/10 would do again.
Old 06-15-16, 11:48 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan
4 years of running my dogs on bike and today marks the first dog related incident. They chased a chimpmunk past my front wheel and I went down hard on pavement. About 6 inches from the grass we were about to go onto and into the woods. A bit of road rash which doesn't bother me but also a bruised-ish ribcage that I'm supposing will make working out annoying. 10/10 would do again.
did the dog apologize
Old 06-15-16, 12:28 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by Ygduf
did the dog apologize
I assume they blamed the chipmunk for causing the crash.
Old 06-15-16, 12:56 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They were more like "Why did we stop and why are you on the ground gasping for breath?"
Old 06-15-16, 01:30 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Harlan
They were more like "Why did we stop and why are you on the ground gasping for breath?"
Also, we didn't get the chipmunk. Sorry.
Old 06-15-16, 06:01 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
CO2 leaks pretty quickly, not sure why but it seems pretty consistent for me. If you can spring for a minipump from a local shop, or even an air pump (gas station, shop, etc) give that a shot.
Ended up picking up a nice Lezyne steel pump from the LBS near T-Town. Price was really quite good. Threads onto the presta so I don't have to hold it on. My Topeak Joe Blow Sport was starting to not hold at all anymore without a lot of help. Much better for the track too, can actually handle higher pressures a lot better.
Old 06-16-16, 06:04 AM
topflightpro

FB, those Lezyne pumps are nice. Just be careful if you have removable valve cores. If you don't release the air pressure (little black button on the pump head) before unscrewing the head from the valve, it can sometimes unscrew the valve core instead.
Old 06-16-16, 06:20 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, make sure you don't accidentally lose the little O-rings that go on the ends of the hose. Those things have a habit of falling off after a while, and when they do you are left with a useless pump.
Old 06-16-16, 06:45 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
FB, those Lezyne pumps are nice. Just be careful if you have removable valve cores. If you don't release the air pressure (little black button on the pump head) before unscrewing the head from the valve, it can sometimes unscrew the valve core instead.
+1 to both of those comments. I'm a big fan of the chuck to the point of having put a lezyne hose on a cheap nashbar pump, but I have also screwed out a valve core (that I didn't know was removable) on my hardest wheelset to change tires (GP4ks with Pacenti SL23 first edition - I've heard the new ones are easier to change).

Has anyone tried those silca chucks that work like a pneumatic tool to change from presta to schrader? I picked up a silca pump dirt cheap at a garage sale but some of my wheels the stems don't stick out far enough for the regular silca chuck that just slides on to grab well enough to stay on when pressure gets high, so I thought I might tried that other chuck as it threads on. I could just buy tubes with longer stems, but I just got a lot of the short ones and want to use them up.

Last edited by himespau; 06-16-16 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 08:15 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Good to know about the air release, I wasn't sure what the point of that was. I'll try to be careful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.