Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Report Thread 2009-2012

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Report Thread 2009-2012

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 11:23 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing

If you think I need a 4th I'll get one. We got more riders than we expected so I don't know how they were by day end. I usually try and use the portapotties but yesterday I simply didn't have the energy to even think of it. I don't want to be a snootie executive type in their crystal palace. I'll walk outside and use the thing too.

Wait, that wasn't gstein was it
Negative.

Based on my extensive race promotion experience, being on the race committee of exactly one race, I'd say no. You can never have enough porta-potties, and someone will always complain about them. Like the sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening. But if it makes you feel better, go ahead.
Old 03-05-12, 12:47 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I think I should, esp based on the forecast.
Old 03-05-12, 12:56 PM
carpediemracing 

Was anyone here there for this? (Central Park, Sunday morning)
Old 03-05-12, 01:06 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
that's a whole bag of dumb. evidently the promoter raised the field limit on the 3/4 race and there were 150 guys in there.
Old 03-05-12, 01:10 PM
zigmeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Negative.

Based on my extensive race promotion experience, being on the race committee of exactly one race, I'd say no. You can never have enough porta-potties, and someone will always complain about them. Like the sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening. But if it makes you feel better, go ahead.

Well, happy to have them in the middle of nowhere...but not happy when they are out of toilet paper and they don't have more.

That is why I always bring my baggie of baby wipes....perfect for my precious bum-bum.
Old 03-05-12, 01:26 PM
sherpakid

Bikes: Scott Addict R1 and Walter Croll Mtn.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in that 3/4 race in CP on Sunday. I was off the back due to a crash about 2 miles in. Had to stop on Harlem Hill and group in front got away. Field was huge and felt sketchy. 5 crashes total on Sunday.
Old 03-05-12, 01:48 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

So with all the flying rumors how many guys were really in that field?
Old 03-05-12, 02:40 PM
sherpakid

Bikes: Scott Addict R1 and Walter Croll Mtn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
So with all the flying rumors how many guys were really in that field?
No way to tell really as I didn't count, but it was MASSIVE for a CP race. AVD announced as we were lining up that there were 150 riders in the field, so to race smart, etc.... He sent out an announcement today that at the next race the 3/4 field will be capped at 100. There were two crashes before we even completed a lap.

My thought was - maybe I should do the Bethel Series instead. Hopefully this weekend will be safer.
Old 03-05-12, 02:46 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

bethel is awesome
AvD is an idiot. I'm not going to be PC about it any longer. He should be run out of the sport.
Old 03-05-12, 03:11 PM
Ohmannuel

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Pro Race, Torelli Montefalco Newhall Bicycle ed. 48x16 fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a perfect day in Snelling Ca. The roads are a but choppy but at the Merco Classic RR you have the full road so that was nice. This is my second year doing this race, last year I took 2nd in the 5's so I was very comfortable with the route. I did a little bit of work but I never gave too much effort when I was in front. Most of the race was just awesome. The riders out there are strong and smart, which leads to fun racing. After a few failed breakaways one I worked to bring back because this 14 year old kid in what looked like a national champ jersey riding for Specialized Dev Team was in it. After that we just powered the easy kickers and that's when everything went wrong. I almost got crashed out when someone jumped from right to left and almost took me out. I was in my drops and going full gas with the top field when he hit me. I buckled and fell into my bars but everyone stayed up; another sign of a good field. The guy came up after the race ans apologized (Classy move) but the damage was done and I finished near the back.
Old 03-05-12, 03:58 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
evidently the promoter raised the field limit on the 3/4 race and there were 150 guys in there.
Old 03-05-12, 04:00 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by zigmeister
Well, happy to have them in the middle of nowhere...but not happy when they are out of toilet paper and they don't have more.
Another one ordered.

And I put on my list (before I read this post) that I need to buy TP and assign someone (probably me) to check TP situation regularly throughout the day.
Old 03-05-12, 04:01 PM
carpediemracing 

that's a whole bag of dumb.
There's a quotable quote.
Old 03-05-12, 07:50 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
names?
Look, I don't do fast food. Now, if shovel had said Four Seasons, then, well, I'd have no complaints.
Old 03-06-12, 08:13 AM
DocM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slynkie
CDR, your series is always run so well, even if there may be a glitch here or there - I can't believe the gall of people to complain like that, especially about something so dumb. I know it's easier said, but I really hope you don't let those $@&*s get to you too much. I also know my new teammates in the 5s really appreciated the clinic.
Glad to hear the clinic helped! After the 5s race, one of the guys in my group came up to me with a huge grin and proudly told me that although he got bumped in the final lap he kept it straight and upright.

The M45 race seemed pretty fast. There were a lot of attacks, but nothing could stick because everyone was feeling frisky. The trademark Bethel EternaWind picked up a bit during the race, and, judging by the flags at the bottom of the hill, the direction of that wind kept shifting about 30 degrees or so. It meant one lap the left side was protected and the right side on another lap. Things got a bit bunched up in the final stretch (which gsteinb mentioned), so the start of the sprint was a little chaotic. Still, that final lap was 1:38, which puts it close to the fastest I've done a lap at Bethel.

The complainers, I noticed, are NEVER there to help sweep or marshall or do anything else to see how a race really runs. Typical, though.

Great race, and Navone's bakery is a nice addition to the scene.
Old 03-06-12, 09:11 AM
carpediemracing 

1:38 was the fastest in Strava, P123s bell lap. 1:39 for two 3-4s, I think the last lap. I checked my helmet cam stuff - it took me 1:39 to do that last lap (3:41 to 5:20 in the second file).

This week we start with bumping and more interesting stuff.
Old 03-06-12, 09:53 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Another one ordered.

And I put on my list (before I read this post) that I need to buy TP and assign someone (probably me) to check TP situation regularly throughout the day.
I know there was a line right after the clinic which makes sense since we had 50 guys captive for 45 minutes, but I didn't see any lines after that, or t.p. issues. Seems like 3 was enough.

Afterwards, I thought about giving homework at the clinin. Maybe this week.
During warmup or during the week, I want them to:
- Practice bumping elbows with a friend
- Practice bunnyhopping
- Drinking without looking down at the bottle cage.

I also had a couple of "thanks" with positive feedback about the clinics.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 03-06-12 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-06-12, 09:55 AM
DocM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1:38 was the fastest in Strava, P123s bell lap. 1:39 for two 3-4s, I think the last lap. I checked my helmet cam stuff - it took me 1:39 to do that last lap (3:41 to 5:20 in the second file).

This week we start with bumping and more interesting stuff.
Wow, we old guys are fast! Last lap was 1:38.0 at 28mph.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/154957787
Old 03-06-12, 10:14 AM
carpediemracing 

I forgot bunny hops, grabbing bottles. Those could be extras during the pacelines and such. Just remember, no bunny hops in turns. I sent out an instructor email just now.

I think a 4th PP won't hurt, and with the turn out I feel like I should try and make things a bit nicer for the racers.
Old 03-06-12, 10:55 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Thanks. I think the negatives stand out because they just do. That rider looked so mad (and since rider was talking to me, I felt like the rider was so mad at me), never smiled, even when we got the rider their number in about 30 seconds.
Next time, reply with something along the lines of:
"In the race that you run, how do you do things differently ?"

Old 03-06-12, 11:06 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received no rider compliments after the clinic. I must have sucked.

My group included the Cat5 "winner". I spoke with him after the race was over. With 1 to go he was off the front of the field, looked back, and sat back in. He won the sprint. I told him that if you're going to go off the front, commit. He fired back "but I didn't need to, did I". I saved the reality of racing beyond Cat5 as a lesson for him to learn on his own.

My group was really sloppy doing the pacelines in the beginning, but after talking them through it, they were a well oiled machine by the time the hot lap came around. So I guess I added some value.
Old 03-06-12, 11:25 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Next time, reply with something along the lines of:
"In the race that you run, how do you do things differently ?"
100% awesome. That's a good one. I will definitely use that one.

I received no rider compliments after the clinic. I must have sucked.

My group included the Cat5 "winner". I spoke with him after the race was over. With 1 to go he was off the front of the field, looked back, and sat back in. He won the sprint. I told him that if you're going to go off the front, commit. He fired back "but I didn't need to, did I". I saved the reality of racing beyond Cat5 as a lesson for him to learn on his own.

My group was really sloppy doing the pacelines in the beginning, but after talking them through it, they were a well oiled machine by the time the hot lap came around. So I guess I added some value.
I don't know who won but there were guys that were assuming a lot. A huge assumption was that all the crashes happen in the 5s. Honestly there are some, but when guys think they're better they crash harder. It's like motorcycles - most serious accidents happen after the motorcyclist has been out there for more than 6 months. That first 6 months the motorcyclist is scared and nervous and very careful. Then they get falsely confident and lay down the motorcycle somewhere.

I swear, when your group went by, they could have been Cat 3s. Impressive. I looked at my group and thought, "Crap, I did a horrible job coaching them, look at these gaps, huge gaps, etc."
Old 03-06-12, 11:43 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Upon exciting the pottie, one well known and respected Master starting b*tching at me about the condition of said pottie. Please. If your baby a$$ is so precious, please stop at the McDonalds on the way in.
I can think of someone likely to complain, but not sure he's respected. He's very sure about the impending economic collapse of the entire world though. "Um, ok, well, good to see you again".

Old 03-06-12, 12:40 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
More BFers at Bethel than I realized!! It was an awesome time as usual. I'll be more social next time.
Old 03-06-12, 01:28 PM
carpediemracing 

BG - As an FYI most of those above comments were clinic instructors. Good ones too. It's like BF, just in real life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.