Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What does Y.F.C stand for? Who's the most knowledgeable bicycle historian here?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-13, 05:12 PM
bloud 
A collector.

Bikes: Lots!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There is a mystery myself and a few other collectors of vintage Japanese bicycles have been trying to solve. What does Y.F.C. stand for? It was/is most commonly referenced with Japanese Fujita saddles and toe straps, but can also be found on bags, saddle covers etc. I'm hoping someone here will know what this acronym stands for. It's literally been eating at me for years...

Here's an example product page of saddles featuring the Y.F.C designation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
y-f-c-saddles.jpg (97.6 KB, 154 views)
Old 04-26-13, 08:15 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Y.F.C. = Your favorite choice?

Next!
Old 04-26-13, 08:30 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
your fat cushion?
Old 04-26-13, 09:50 PM
bloud 
A collector.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh boy, that's where this is headed!?
Old 04-27-13, 06:08 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
"Yearn For Copy"?
Old 04-27-13, 06:21 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Your Fujita Conundrum.
Old 04-27-13, 06:34 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Good question.
Old 04-27-13, 06:43 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3100 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 3,799 Posts
I wonder if it is the initials for something like this name I just made up: Yoshimura Fujita Company.

Old 04-27-13, 06:53 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Well, it's no surprise, but you can buy a $250 high quality 100% plastic YFC saddle from BBC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-YFC-...-/290800497884
Old 04-27-13, 07:40 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
I don't know the Y.F.C.

But I do know what Y.C.F. stands for (Yuko Cold Forged) found on the dropouts many early Fujis. That just adds to the confusion.

Good question Bloud, lot's of us want the answer!

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 04-27-13, 08:37 AM
bloud 
A collector.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
Your Fujita Conundrum.
Seriously...

Originally Posted by cb400bill
I wonder if it is the initials for something like this name I just made up: Yoshimura Fujita Company.
This is certainly a possibility, but I wonder why duplicate the name Fujita Saddle Company co. ltd. , Y.F.C. on products. There was also a mention of it possibly being a certain region in Japan.

Originally Posted by frantik
Well, it's no surprise, but you can buy a $250 high quality 100% plastic YFC saddle from BBC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-YFC-...-/290800497884
He's quite famous for his out of this world prices. I got a black one I'd sell for $25. But white, that's SUPER rare and sought after...

Originally Posted by ScottRyder
I don't know the Y.F.C.

But I do know what Y.C.F. stands for (Yuko Cold Forged) found on the dropouts many early Fujis. That just adds to the confusion.

Good question Bloud, lot's of us want the answer!

Scott
I'm trying Scott, I'm trying...
Old 04-27-13, 12:26 PM
vjp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know what it stands for, but I do know that they are really nice saddles! I was given a N.O.S. brown leather padded butt saddle (Touring?) and it is really pretty. Just waiting for the right frame to put it on.

Maybe it stands for Your Frame Choice?
Old 04-27-13, 12:57 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,041 Times in 1,879 Posts
The Japanese had a fondness for short, anglicized brand names. This derives from the turn of the 20th century when Japanese bicycle industry was developing and the English bicycle was considered a superior product. Three letters were often used as three is a lucky number in Japan and would simplify the pronounciation, while retaining the English connection. Sometimes the chosen brands names were company initials. Sometimes they were a contraction of the company name. Sometimes there was no apparent connection. Some other familiar samples include:

H.K.K. chains - Hokoku Chain Mfg, Co. Ltd.
D.I.D. chains - Daido Kogyo Co. Ltd.
K.K.T. pedals - Kyokuto Mfg. Co. Ltd.
M.K.S. pedals - Mikashima Works Ltd.
I.N.I. gears cases - Osaka Case Co, Ltd.
M.S.S. spokes - Tsukibishi Spoke Mfg. Co. Ltd.
A.K.S. ball bearings - Amatsuji Steel Bal Mfg. Co. Ltd.
T.N.K. fenders - Towa Industries Ltd.
D.N.B. derailleurs and hubs - Dainihon Kikai Kogyo Co, Ltd.

In this case the proper company name was Fujita Saddle Mfg. Co. Ltd. The company goes back to 1906. The original leather saddles appear to have been marketed under the BELT brand name. When they started manufacturing plastic saddles in the 1960s, the YFC brand name appeared. I notice the subject catalogue page shows a couple YFC leather saddles. I suppose by that time the YFC brand name was more popular and BELT probably sounded inapporpriate for a market that now included English speaking contries. I believe they simply ended up going with Fujita as the popularity of Japanese bicycles and components took over in North America.
Old 04-27-13, 01:27 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The Japanese had a fondness for short, anglicized brand names. This derives from the turn of the 20th century when Japanese bicycle industry was developing and the English bicycle was considered a superior product. Three letters were often used as three is a lucky number in Japan and would simplify the pronounciation, while retaining the English connection.

I wonder what's the deal with their fondness for X and two letter "quality level" designations.. ie LX, DX, XT, XC, etc.. Honda used the DX / LX / EX designations for their cars too. I imagine the letters are supposed to evoke words like "Luxury, Deluxe, Excellent, Extra" but still interesting imo..
Old 04-27-13, 03:24 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by frantik
I wonder what's the deal with their fondness for X and two letter "quality level" designations.. ie LX, DX, XT, XC, etc.. Honda used the DX / LX / EX designations for their cars too. I imagine the letters are supposed to evoke words like "Luxury, Deluxe, Excellent, Extra" but still interesting imo..
I've always taken the X in derailleur designation to indicate "cross", as in different types of terrain. Basically, it's taken from the discipline of cyclocross. All the X designations seem to be for off-road derailleurs, which have cyclocross as their heritage. XT may mean cross terrain as it was Shimano's first dedicated off-road derailleur. XC probably simply means cross country.
Old 04-27-13, 07:50 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I've often wondered about the Shimano 3.3.3. On a lot of the early to mid seventies parts. Three 3's must have been seriously lucky? I had also noticed a LOT of the suspension parts I bought for my first gen Mazda RX-7 were actually made in Japan, and some had a 5.5.5. logo.,,,,BD
Old 04-27-13, 08:12 PM
T-Mar

The Shimano 333, SunTour 888 and Takagi 3 Arrows brands and trademarks were modeled after that of Britain's BSA bicycle brand, which was highly revered in Japan at the turn of the century.
Attached Images
BSA logo.jpg (34.9 KB, 24 views)
Shimano Logo.jpg (39.8 KB, 24 views)
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-28-13, 09:38 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
You freaking care?
Old 04-28-13, 09:44 AM
bloud 
A collector.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The Japanese had a fondness for short, anglicized brand names. This derives from the turn of the 20th century when Japanese bicycle industry was developing and the English bicycle was considered a superior product. Three letters were often used as three is a lucky number in Japan and would simplify the pronounciation, while retaining the English connection. Sometimes the chosen brands names were company initials. Sometimes they were a contraction of the company name. Sometimes there was no apparent connection. Some other familiar samples include:

H.K.K. chains - Hokoku Chain Mfg, Co. Ltd.
D.I.D. chains - Daido Kogyo Co. Ltd.
K.K.T. pedals - Kyokuto Mfg. Co. Ltd.
M.K.S. pedals - Mikashima Works Ltd.
I.N.I. gears cases - Osaka Case Co, Ltd.
M.S.S. spokes - Tsukibishi Spoke Mfg. Co. Ltd.
A.K.S. ball bearings - Amatsuji Steel Bal Mfg. Co. Ltd.
T.N.K. fenders - Towa Industries Ltd.
D.N.B. derailleurs and hubs - Dainihon Kikai Kogyo Co, Ltd.

In this case the proper company name was Fujita Saddle Mfg. Co. Ltd. The company goes back to 1906. The original leather saddles appear to have been marketed under the BELT brand name. When they started manufacturing plastic saddles in the 1960s, the YFC brand name appeared. I notice the subject catalogue page shows a couple YFC leather saddles. I suppose by that time the YFC brand name was more popular and BELT probably sounded inapporpriate for a market that now included English speaking contries. I believe they simply ended up going with Fujita as the popularity of Japanese bicycles and components took over in North America.
Very good insights here. This may certainly help to create leads. I will have to look back at some of the older advertisements and see if any names pop-up that could fit the criteria for such naming convention. That's a bit like code breaking!

Originally Posted by Chuckk
Youth for Christ!

I have seen this and it is probably the most common use of YFC today. However, I'm pretty sure given the historic beliefs of most Asian cultures, it has nothing to do with this. ;-)
Old 04-28-13, 10:32 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by bloud
Very good insights here. This may certainly help to create leads. I will have to look back at some of the older advertisements and see if any names pop-up that could fit the criteria for such naming convention. That's a bit like code breaking!
I wish that I knew a bit more about the company's origins. That may provide some clues. They may have been a generic leather manufacturing form before deciding that setting up a domestic saddle manufacturer was more lucrative. Maybe that's how the BELT brand name came about? Maybe the founder's or some descendant's name was Yoshi Fujita (or another name starting with a Y) and when they created a plastic saddle brand, they named it after him/her? Good luck!
Old 04-28-13, 12:49 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
FWIW, here's a 1952 ad that shows both the BELT and Y.F.C. trade marks. It's also interesting that the cursive Y.F.C. is on the BELT trade mark.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 04-28-13, 05:35 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I did about 3 hours searching Friday night after reading the OP, I got what the others have shown, too. My thoughts matched T-mar, and hearing him say it makes me feel more sure that is correct. I noticed the Fixed gear crowd likes these saddles a lot in the search. They seem to have taken the European favorites, like Brooks for their Belt lines and Selle San Marco and its Concour saddles, as models for their lines, much like a lot of other Japanese products after the war. The quality that their engineers could impart is remarkable. I have no problems with the Japanese products at all (none was implied in the other replies here either, just a thought.)

My alma mater, the University of West Florida, has a good Japanese-American study program here, Japan House, I think that I'll call them tomorrow and see if Mrs. Shigeko Honda or one of the others can help me out.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-28-13, 06:25 PM
bloud 
A collector.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scooper
FWIW, here's a 1952 ad that shows both the BELT and Y.F.C. trade marks. It's also interesting that the cursive Y.F.C. is on the BELT trade mark.

Interesting. Does the BELT stamp read "Made in Y.F.C. Japan"? I can't make it out completely. This could further support the theory it was a region in Japan.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I did about 3 hours searching Friday night after reading the OP, I got what the others have shown, too. My thoughts matched T-mar, and hearing him say it makes me feel more sure that is correct. I noticed the Fixed gear crowd likes these saddles a lot in the search. They seem to have taken the European favorites, like Brooks for their Belt lines and Selle San Marco and its Concour saddles, as models for their lines, much like a lot of other Japanese products after the war. The quality that their engineers could impart is remarkable. I have no problems with the Japanese products at all (none was implied in the other replies here either, just a thought.)

My alma mater, the University of West Florida, has a good Japanese-American study program here, Japan House, I think that I'll call them tomorrow and see if Mrs. Shigeko Honda or one of the others can help me out.

Bill
I have queried a few colleagues in Japan and came up empty. I hope your contacts prove more fruitful!

Great stuff guys! I knew there were some historical nuts around here. That's half the fun, right? The little stories behind it all...
Old 04-28-13, 06:47 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Interesting. Does the BELT stamp read "Made in Y.F.C. Japan"? I can't make it out completely. This could further support the theory it was a region in Japan.
Looks like "Made in Y. F. C. Tokyo" to me
Old 04-28-13, 07:03 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
The original actually says, "Made in Y.F.C. Tokyo"...

I had the same thought; maybe it's a district or neighborhood within the Tokyo prefecture. I can't find anything with "Y.F.C." on Wikipepedia, though.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.