Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone else see step-through or mixte frames...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 05:49 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts

I was told that such frames wouldn't catch on because they're useless.

Thus, I took a photo where I "parked" in between 6 of them last evening 4 on one side, 2 on the other
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 08-19-17, 09:23 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 118 Posts
Travel in France and you'll see scads of mixtes everywhere.
Old 08-19-17, 09:50 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
There's one whenever my wife rides somewhere.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-19-17, 03:43 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Step-throughs... not just for ladies anymore!
Old 08-19-17, 04:37 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
Step-throughs... not just for ladies anymore!
I was just talking with a Dutch guy (hi if you're reading this) and about 30% of men are buying step-throughs as well

They make a huge amount of sense for people commuting in sensible clothing.
Old 08-19-17, 04:38 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,684 Times in 829 Posts
The older I get, the more mixtes look good to me.
Old 08-20-17, 03:27 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 6003 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I was just talking with a Dutch guy (hi if you're reading this) and about 30% of men are buying step-throughs as well

They make a huge amount of sense for people commuting in sensible clothing.
For men wearing trousers it doesn't matter much. But men over 70 sometimes have trouble swinging their leg over, and men in their thirties often have trouble swinging their leg over because there is one or two kids on the rear rack.

Modern step throughs with wide aluminum tubing but not build to be light weight are quite rigid, but it's still an inferior ride to the same bike with a top tube. It's mainly a problem for strong men on tall frames riding at a higher speed than average city speed though, and carrying heavy loads make them more wobbly to. Another trend is that the double top tube frames and cross frames are making a comeback, so frame rigidity is still an issue.
Old 08-20-17, 11:39 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Same idea as buying a car with doors.
Old 08-20-17, 12:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the classic Oma is best with a Babyseat on the back.

My Step thru bikes are a Brompton and Bike Fridays..

Old 08-20-17, 01:46 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 1,682 Posts
i love old lugged mixtes. want to buy em everytime i see one but they usually don't fit me.
Old 08-20-17, 04:58 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Step through frames also seem resistant to theft. Given equal quality components and saddle, the step through version seems less attractive to the other thieves than a similar diamond frame. Just sayin'
Old 08-21-17, 01:04 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,439 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
trouble swinging their leg over because there is one or two kids on the rear rack.
Just swing that leg harder and faster, that'll take care of those pesky kids.

Chuck Norris doesn't ride a step through.
Old 08-22-17, 07:01 PM
skinny matt
more coffee please

Bikes: a couple schwinns

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of modern mountain bike frames are pretty close to mixte territory. Looks cool to me.
Old 08-22-17, 07:16 PM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Stay out of Malibu Labowski , Keep your deadbeat ass out of my beach community.
Old 08-23-17, 04:09 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by hay
Stay out of Malibu Labowski , Keep your deadbeat ass out of my beach community.
hä?

I think I need to watch this movie again as it holds a specific place in Americana and when I talk with people from the states, especially people that like to quote movies, this film continues to come up. It has some serious "staying power."
Old 08-23-17, 08:33 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

It really ties the room together
Old 08-23-17, 09:54 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,541 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I was told that such frames wouldn't catch on because they're useless.

Thus, I took a photo where I "parked" in between 6 of them last evening 4 on one side, 2 on the other
Spotted in my driveway:
Attached Images
Calvin right.jpg (99.5 KB, 120 views)
Hercules_Nancy_bike.JPG (74.7 KB, 120 views)
Red Schwinn Right.JPG (81.0 KB, 119 views)
ZeroSeven3.jpg (97.9 KB, 120 views)
Schwinn Collegiate 5Speed.jpg (99.9 KB, 119 views)
Old 08-23-17, 04:25 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Step-throughs are convenient and (IMO) safer, but the cons: they are heavier, and there are less options to mount accessories. Can they make lightweight step-throughs?
Old 08-24-17, 07:41 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Another trend is that the double top tube frames and cross frames are making a comeback, so frame rigidity is still an issue.
Is that for rigidity or fashion? I thought mostly the latter except for those carrying a lot of cargo (around the waste or otherwise).

Originally Posted by vol
Step-throughs are convenient and (IMO) safer, but the cons: they are heavier, and there are less options to mount accessories. Can they make lightweight step-throughs?
My wife's omas and my oma weigh a bit less than my opa. What accessories can't be mounted on an omafiets or other step-thru? Both of our bikes have removable front frame mounted racks, light systems, frame mounted child (grandkid) seat behind the handlebars, and sturdy rear racks than can carry nearly equal amounts of stuff. I've even seen oma's with those irritating triangle bags in the 2-sided triangle of the frame.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 08-24-17 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 07:58 AM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Recommendations for new mixte/step-through bikes that are lightweight and offer some performance? From what I have seen, the 3-8 speed hub bikes don't offer enough gearing for me. Due to space, I'm limited to 2ish bikes so a new mixte would have to be an all-round performer and replace my current frankenbike road bike commuter. Unfortunately, Rivendells are not within my budget.

Plenty of mixte/step-throughs on my local CL. They are usually between the $150-300 range. I'd love to go the upgrade and modernize a classic route but since I am not skilled (and do not have the tools)--it would all have to be done at the LBS. I'm afraid the labor cost could get out of hand. That's why I'm asking about a new bike. My budget for either a new bike or upgrading project would around what I would pay for a solid commuter--like a Trek 7.3? Maybe up to 1K?
Old 08-24-17, 07:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6231 Post(s)
Liked 4,234 Times in 2,374 Posts
Modern step throughs with wide aluminum tubing but not build to be light weight are quite rigid, but it's still an inferior ride to the same bike with a top tube. It's mainly a problem for strong men on tall frames riding at a higher speed than average city speed though, and carrying heavy loads make them more wobbly to. Another trend is that the double top tube frames and cross frames are making a comeback, so frame rigidity is still an issue.
Acidfast isn't telling you the rest of the story. This discussion arose from someone wanting to pull a trailer with 2 kids while carrying regular clothes and exercise equipment and navigating a 20% grade on the way home. His suggestion was this bike. In those conditions, this bike would be throughly inadequate for the task at hand. I can't think of a step through bike that would be adequate for the kind of duty.

You are correct that frame rigidity is an issue with step throughs. It always has been. Most people like them for nostalgic reasons but they often abandon them when they have to live with them. They don't get ridden and get stored only to resurface for the next generation to discover their limitations. That's why you see so many antique "girls" bikes but very few "boys" bikes. One gets ridden into dust while the other just gets covered with it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-24-17, 08:08 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Most people like them for nostalgic reasons but they often abandon them when they have to live with them. They don't get ridden and get stored only to resurface for the next generation to discover their limitations.
I like ya man but sometimes I think we live on different planets as I see more mixte/ST bikes than non-mixte/ST versions. We're not stupid over here, quite the contrary.

Also, no one uses a trailer as they don't make sense. A box-bike sure, a front or rear baby seat, sure, but a trailer no way in an urban area.

Last edited by acidfast7; 08-24-17 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 08:19 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 6003 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Is that for rigidity or fashion? I thought mostly the latter except for those carrying a lot of cargo (around the waste or otherwise).
The Dutch tend to be quite practical about their bikes, but it's not like their purchases are entirely rational based on technical features. Fashion has a lot do with it, heavy duty looks are in fashion this decade and goes together well with a retro trend. The wider aluminium tubes look good with the balloon tyres, which are like very much because they handle brick pavement and lower pressure very well.

I don't think it's about waist size, probably more about height. Taller frames are more wobbly for the same tube size and of course a taller rider will generally flex the frame with more force. Especially were I live the people are quite tall, probably about 2 inches taller than the Dutch average, so maybe one would see less of those bikes in the south. But for me and friends of about the same height a step through is fine for a short leisurely ride to a bar or something, but for riding 20 km/h the frame flexes noticeably too much, draining energy, causing sweat. Carrying cargo is part of daily use, and if you carry 10 kg or more on the front rack, you feel how wobbly a step through is.

Beside enery loss through flexing, a rigid frame feels much better, and when look and feel match that way it's often a sale. One manufacturer has invented truss frames, no weight is saved, it's just to get them even more rigid.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Acidfast isn't telling you the rest of the story. This discussion arose from someone wanting to pull a trailer with 2 kids while carrying regular clothes and exercise equipment and navigating a 20% grade on the way home. His suggestion was this bike. In those conditions, this bike would be throughly inadequate for the task at hand. I can't think of a step through bike that would be adequate for the kind of duty.
Even that bike has an extra tube to make it more rigid, raising the step through height.

You are correct that frame rigidity is an issue with step throughs. It always has been. Most people like them for nostalgic reasons but they often abandon them when they have to live with them. They don't get ridden and get stored only to resurface for the next generation to discover their limitations. That's why you see so many antique "girls" bikes but very few "boys" bikes. One gets ridden into dust while the other just gets covered with it.
That's an interesting explanation. Here used 'oma's' are very popular with young men, allthough they tend to be more rigid than ladies bikes with two diagonal tubes, it's probably because they are a bit more upright than men's bikes of the same age. That allows for a comfortable posture on a bike that's too small and it's often a rather cool posture. Refusing to do any speed and not giving a damn about your bike is also very important at that age. When I was a student I rode a girls bike with 26 inch wheels for much too long, it refused to get stolen, it must have been at least20 cm too short on frame size. But I don't remember it as particularly wobbly, probably because of the relativy rigidity of smaller frames, and because it was too small for me to get any power on the pedals.

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Just swing that leg harder and faster, that'll take care of those pesky kids.

Chuck Norris doesn't ride a step through.
Kids should be in the front anyway, otherwise they can't shield you from the rain, hail and snow.

Last edited by Stadjer; 08-24-17 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 10:53 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Kids should be in the front anyway, otherwise they can't shield you from the rain, hail and snow.
I was told that information was not supposed to leave NL. :-)
Old 08-24-17, 11:03 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

The internet is a rough place to hang out for people that can't stand to be disagreed with...

:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.